• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast: Standard Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex27

Would I be able to upgrade to standard premium when travelling on my first group toc boxes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Would I be able to upgrade to standard premium when travelling on my first group toc boxes?
I think you'd have to ask them, unless anyone has already tried it. Weekend First has always been available for staff travel, though, so I'd say it's likely.

Alex27

You might even get lucky and have a really nice TM who won't take your money ;)
You never know :lol:

Edit:
I just double checked with Avanti's twitter team and they seem to think this is not the case :'( :rolleyes: (being able to upgrade that is, not upgrading for free:lol:)

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Their at-seat order system is good but very temperamental.

It’s giving me all manner of issues on this train.
Not used it yet, Nor LNER. Though a fair few were using it on LNER. Its useful but I do like going to the buffet.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not used it yet, Nor LNER. Though a fair few were using it on LNER. Its useful but I do like going to the buffet.

I've used LNER's and all was fine. Took maybe 6-7 minutes from ordering hot food to it appearing.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
1M06 05:33 Glasgow Central to London Euston is stated on Avanti's Journey Check page as being short formed- 9 car Pendolino instead of an 11 car one and Standard Premium is not being offered on this train today.

Given the rather limited First Class offer at the moment on Avanti, I can't help but think that First Class ticket holders are being ripped off, given the food they're offered at the moment isn't much more substantial than what can be bought from the shop onboard (or from many Restaurants/Cafes etc.) before boarding. Then just pay for Standard Premium. Massive saving.

I think Avanti should have waited until the First Class offer has been greatly improved before introducing Standard Premium.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think Avanti should have waited until the First Class offer has been greatly improved before introducing Standard Premium.

Yes, I think they should have done their research, designed and tested the new products, and had a big launch. But what happened is typical FirstGroup. They have decent ideas but not a first clue about marketing.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Yes, I think they should have done their research, designed and tested the new products, and had a big launch. But what happened is typical FirstGroup. They have decent ideas but not a first clue about marketing.

I'll excuse the unintentional pun about First not having the first clue. ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Someone on Facebook has complained to Avanti about the only food offered in First Class today being crisps or poppadoms?

The excuse from Avanti being the old "reduced selection offered at weekends."

I'd be feeling thoroughly ripped off, considering the huge premiums people are having to pay for First Class on Avanti now, even at weekends.

takno

Established Member
Someone on Facebook has complained to Avanti about the only food offered in First Class today being crisps or poppadoms?

The excuse from Avanti being the old "reduced selection offered at weekends."

I'd be feeling thoroughly ripped off, considering the huge premiums people are having to pay for First Class on Avanti now, even at weekends.
They really don't get to play the "first class is meant to be rubbish at weekends" game under their new setup. They've got standard plus to be rubbish, so first class needs to stay premium. I am starting to worry that they can't be bothered to do this properly at all

Carlisle

Established Member
Yes, I think they should have done their research, designed and tested the new products, and had a big launch
Not that easy in a pandemic with 2 different governments continually tinkering with lockdown rules & no clear idea how much the premium business travel market will eventually recover

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not that easy in a pandemic with 2 different governments continually tinkering with lockdown rules & no clear idea how premium business travel market will eventually recover
3 different governments - Avanti serve all three nations within the United Kingdom, being (I believe) the only TOC other than CrossCountry to do so.

LRV3004

While travelling passenger to London to work a train back, the Train Manager kindly allowed myself and my driver to sit in Standard Premium. He came and had a chat with us and we asked him about it, and apparently an official launch is planned some time in September.

crossani

3 different governments - Avanti serve all three nations within the United Kingdom, being (I believe) the only TOC other than CrossCountry to do so.
All three nations within Great Britain. Unless Avanti have managed to find a solution to the whole "trains getting wet when travelling from Glasgow to Belfast" issue.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Anyone with half a brain would fly to Ireland or any other far flung part of the UK from Scotland.
You're right. The discussion was more about semantics (i.e. the fact that I accidentally said United Kingdom rather than Great Britain) than the actual viability of a rail service between GB and Ireland!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They really don't get to play the "first class is meant to be rubbish at weekends" game under their new setup. They've got standard plus to be rubbish, so first class needs to stay premium. I am starting to worry that they can't be bothered to do this properly at all

Or why not simply only have Standard Premium and not even have First Class at all at weekends? (Obviously First Class tickets would be valid in it for those wanting to).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
(Apologies a little off topic)

I've seen a complaint from someone on Avanti's Facebook page complaining that they were "requested" to leave a very quiet coach K and alternatively sit in a very crowded coach J- mentioning that social distancing wasn't possible-

I'm assuming therefore coaches G and H were Standard Premium.

How to upset passengers paying substantial sums of money for First Class travel...

roversfan2001

Established Member
The Coach K situation really needs to stop, it's been going on for years and no one seems to care.

First Class being significantly smaller than it used to be should sort it out when/if demand picks up again at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.