• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast: Standard Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Coach K situation really needs to stop, it's been going on for years and no one seems to care.

First Class being significantly smaller than it used to be should sort it out when/if demand picks up again at least.

The staff now have a row of officially reserved seats (the very back row). You could perhaps argue that the row in front should be reserved too to allow them to distance, but really this formal reservation of the back row was meant to solve it.

But beyond that Avanti really do need to grasp the nettle on this even if it does mean needing to enter into a formal dispute (on which I would be wholly in Avanti's support), it's simply not OK and never has been, and needs to stop, now. Even more so if First is only going to be two vehicles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Surely Avanti are at risk of "upsetting" First Class ticket holders.
(particularly now TOCs are trying to encourage more people to return to the trains after Covid)

First Class passengers now: (on Pendolino trains)

Have far fewer seats to choose from.
Paying greatly increased fares (as cheaper Advance tickets not available- presumably as a direct consequence of far fewer First Class seats being bookable)
Scrapped Weekend First upgrades
No longer have as much personal space away from fellow passengers because of the reduced First Class capacity.

Whereas..

Standard Premier sounds much more attractive. Just take your own food/drink.

Butts

Veteran Member
Are Standard Premier Advances about the same price banding Advanced 1st Class Singles used to be ?

Journeyman

Established Member
I'd do away with first and upgrade Standard to match. Passengers pay through the nose as it is so I think giving them some perks is not before time.
That won't work because you'd immediately cut capacity, which would force up fares.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Fares are already showing on BRFares.com, at least for the flows I've looked at.

Euston - Manchester Standard Advances range from £19.50 to £161.10; Standard Premier from £44.50 to £209.70; and First Class from £39.00 to £239.10. By comparison, the Off-Peak Single is £66.10, Earlybird Anytime Single (has to be booked at least 15 days in advance, but is unrestricted) is £147.80, Anytime Single is £184.70, First Class Off-Peak Single is £163.10 and First Class Anytime Single is £255.00.

Butts

Veteran Member
Fares are already showing on BRFares.com, at least for the flows I've looked at.

Euston - Manchester Standard Advances range from £19.50 to £161.10; Standard Premier from £44.50 to £209.70; and First Class from £39.00 to £239.10. By comparison, the Off-Peak Single is £66.10, Earlybird Anytime Single (has to be booked at least 15 days in advance, but is unrestricted) is £147.80, Anytime Single is £184.70, First Class Off-Peak Single is £163.10 and First Class Anytime Single is £255.00.

So the lowest First Class Fare is £5 lower than the cheapest Standard Premier ?

What's that all about - is there only 1 on each service or something ?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So the lowest First Class Fare is £5 lower than the cheapest Standard Premier ?

What's that all about - is there only 1 on each service or something ?
Possibly there so they can advertise “First class from £39” - though they’ll probably have a maximum of one at that price available per train.

GNER 91128

I have to wonder if Standard Premier will go the same way as the GNER Standard + did, although it does offer a little bit more than Standard + as that was just a standard class carriage with complimentary tea and coffee.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I have to wonder if Standard Premier will go the same way as the GNER Standard + did, although it does offer a little bit more than Standard + as that was just a standard class carriage with complimentary tea and coffee.
Standard Premium is essentially the opposite of that - the first class carriage but without the complementary refreshment.

Butts

Veteran Member
Standard Premium is essentially the opposite of that - the first class carriage but without the complementary refreshment.

it wouldn't kill them to throw in free tea, coffee and biscuits in SP.

Possibly there so they can advertise “First class from £39” - though they’ll probably have a maximum of one at that price available per train.

Are you serious, I was joking saying one !!

What will be the next cheapest and how many of them will there be ?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
it wouldn't kill them to throw in free tea, coffee and biscuits in SP.

Are you serious, I was joking saying one !!

What will be the next cheapest and how many of them will there be ?
For Manchester to London, it looks like the next tier up is £41 and then £49.

On your morning rush hour trains I wouldn’t be surprised if the cheapest 1st Advance fare is above even that price level, given that Standard is typically £30-£40 at that time.

Butts

Veteran Member
For Manchester to London, it looks like the next tier up is £41 and then £49.

On your morning rush hour trains I wouldn’t be surprised if the cheapest 1st Advance fare is above even that price level, given that Standard is typically £30-£40 at that time.

Still with a Senior Railcard those fares become manageable- if you can blag one and the Whisky comes back.

They should serve Free Alcohol on all services like BA do, morning noon and night.

philosopher

Established Member
I would have thought there would be a bigger market for a better seat without food than for a standard seat with free tea / coffee and a snack. Buying a tea or coffee and a small snack will in most cases will not cost more than four pounds and can be bought on train in any case.

CC 72100

Established Member
Still with a Senior Railcard those fares become manageable- if you can blag one and the Whisky comes back.

They should serve Free Alcohol on all services like BA do, morning noon and night.
Not everything in life revolves around free alcohol you know.

Class83

The interesting bit is the Standard Premium equivalent of a Standard Open Return. Not that we're travelling much at the moment, but my work won't allow First Class for 2 hour journeys, however, they might let 'Standard Premium' through. Looking at BR fares there either isn't or I can't see if there is such a thing as a Standard Premium Open Return. But I expect a lot of people travelling for work would happily book these and grab a coffee and croissant in the station, increasing revenue from Standard Open Returns.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking at BR fares there either isn't or I can't see if there is such a thing as a Standard Premium Open Return.
For walk-up tickets it's like Weekend First, in that you can upgrade on-board, subject to space being available.

Using Euston to Manchester again, the upgrade is £25 Single. (Ticket type 25Q STDPREM ONBOARD), compared to a full First Class upgrade at £50 Single (Ticket type U50 AWC UPGRADE 50).

STINT47

What will happen if someone books first class but the catering is unavailable?

In the past they said the catering was complimentary so no compensation was due but now that they offer two products in the same seats one with and one without catering I'm not sure this answer will be valid anymore.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What will happen if someone books first class but the catering is unavailable?

In the past they said the catering was complimentary so no compensation was due but now that they offer two products in the same seats one with and one without catering I'm not sure this answer will be valid anymore.
'Refreshments are "complimentary"' wasn't an excuse before, and certainly won't be now. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's wheeled out again.

jfollows

Established Member
Wasn’t it originally Bargain First & cost £1
At one time it was free (Manchester-London at least), at weekends a number of First Class carriages had window labels "for the use of passengers with second class tickets" or something similar.
I'd make a point of going into Manchester on a Saturday day out to London (from Macclesfield) to get the 10:12 thence and my choice of First Class seat when the stock came into the platform, then calling only at Stockport and Wilmslow.
The carriage working diagrams of the time specified which carriages were to be so labelled.

Of course at the time there was no service of any sort in First Class, all you got was a more comfortable seat and you had to slum it in the buffet queue like everyone else anyway.

I'm talking about late 1970s by the way. When there was a £9 return "saver" ticket to London also if memory serves correctly, with few time restrictions and none at weekends.

Wolfie

Established Member
'Refreshments are "complimentary"' wasn't an excuse before, and certainly won't be now. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's wheeled out again.
If it happened to me l would go straight to Court if l didn't get the cost difference between First and Standard Premium immediately refunded. It's about time that the rail industry was taught some hard sharp lessons about consumer rights and contractual obligations. Sue every single time.

island

Veteran Member
If it happened to me l would go straight to Court if l didn't get the cost difference between First and Standard Premium immediately refunded. It's about time that the rail industry was taught some hard sharp lessons about consumer rights and contractual obligations. Sue every single time.
That attitude's likely to get costs awarded against you (or at least no order as to costs, meaning you bear your own costs) for failing to comply with pre-action conduct and protocols in the civil procedure rules. Litigation is expected to be a last resort and parties are required to engage in negotiation/mediation or use an ombudsman scheme, not jump straight into court.

Status
Not open for further replies.