• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast: Standard Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
On the seat picker thing, I recently needed to book using my Android 7 phone and the graphic would not render correctly. The screen was a complete mess and nothing could be selected.
I had the same problem last week on my iPad.
Tried in on my PC and still the same problem.
Tried it yesterday and now seems to work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
Sorry, the train / coach seat graphics showing what is, or is not, available are available on the Avanti website. You just don’t seem to be able to use it. Book a ticket, ask for a seat reservation, it gives you one, then if you want to change it, click on the big bar that says “Seat Selector”. Can’t you do this?

I'm telling you, I don't see any graphics at all to represent seats, believe me I have tried.

MKB

I'm telling you, I don't see any graphics at all to represent seats, believe me I have tried.
Websites are generally coded to tailor your experience to the device type and capabilities of the operating system being used, so it's possible that the seat picker is not universally available.

Sentinel

works on Windows 10 on both the Edge and Firefox browsers, and on my iPad with the Safari browser (see attached). Suspect you are trying it on a phone? Phone apps tend not to do seat map displays for trains or planes; too complicated.

Attachments

• CF676F4B-0B02-4B62-A93A-6759EF03CD88.jpeg
    CF676F4B-0B02-4B62-A93A-6759EF03CD88.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 136

Sentinel

Have you not heard of the famous song 'Bicyle Race' by Queen?

(Screenshot below is from YouTube.com, showing a video entitle 'Queen - Bicycle

Have you not heard of the famous song 'Bicyle Race' by Queen?

(Screenshot below is from YouTube.com, showing a video entitle 'Queen - Bicycle Race')
Well thank goodness that in the text “Where do you want to sit?” they only used three letters for the last word….

Last edited:

jaigee

Just checked on the Avanti site for a SP ticket from Liverpool to Nuneaton on the 20:48 service on any future weekday dates. The cheapest is an off peak single at £22.60 in Standard with no SP tickets available. However, using the same train on the same dates but booking to Milton Keynes the cheapest is an advance single at £9.80 and advance SP tickets at £19.75.
The only way to get a SP ticket, or a cheap Standard for that matter, is to book to MKC and alight earlier.

Wolfie

Established Member
Just checked on the Avanti site for a SP ticket from Liverpool to Nuneaton on the 20:48 service on any future weekday dates. The cheapest is an off peak single at £22.60 in Standard with no SP tickets available. However, using the same train on the same dates but booking to Milton Keynes the cheapest is an advance single at £9.80 and advance SP tickets at £19.75.
The only way to get a SP ticket, or a cheap Standard for that matter, is to book to MKC and alight earlier.
Which is, of course, against the terms of Advance tickets.

chrish2

In Virgin days you’d have been lucky to be offered food at all on this run, and there were many occasions when the drinks didn’t materialise either.

I was greeted at the door to coach K, offered food and drinks immediately after we’d left and the coffee was served within a minute. Plates, cups and rubbish cleared as soon as they were done with. Much more attentive service than Avanti could’ve provided over 3/4 carriages of First.
I wonder if first been in a shorter space along with the knowledge that the tickets are likely much more expensive has resulted in an improvement in some areas of the service. I know in the virgin days they did look out for passengers joining but just the distance they sometime have to walk may mean staff may have been getting interrupted on their way after a call. Arguably less space staff to lurk between tasks means they may also be more active with the customers.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if first been in a shorter space along with the knowledge that the tickets are likely much more expensive has resulted in an improvement in some areas of the service. I know in the virgin days they did look out for passengers joining but just the distance they sometime have to walk may mean staff may have been getting interrupted on their way after a call. Arguably less space staff to lurk between tasks means they may also be more active with the customers.
When it was fully first class, it was frequent for the crews to get interrupted mid service by passengers joining the train at a station. The hosts did go out onto the platform at key stations such as Glasgow and Preston.

I think morale is up especially at the weekends because it was normally one host to look after 3 or 4 First Class carriages at once, which really wasn't ideal if it was a busy train.

tornado

What is the current advice on purchasing a Standard Premium ticket vs Seatfrog 1st class upgrade? I'm thinking of Glasgow-London.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What is the current advice on purchasing a Standard Premium ticket vs Seatfrog 1st class upgrade? I'm thinking of Glasgow-London.
Bear in mind that seatfrog availability isn’t guaranteed - I’ve seen upgrades to 1st offered for £95 just for EUS-BHM (must’ve been busy!) and on some services it isn’t available at all.

Upgrades to SP aren’t too expensive for Advance tickets and are almost always guaranteed to be available for upgrade on the train given the amount of seats.

However, one minor point is that if a Pendo gets swapped for a Voyager then there’s no SP on the latter.

tornado

Could you decide to do an onboard upgrade to SP mid-journey if your train got busier? And if so would they still charge you according to the start/end stations on your ticket?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Could you decide to do an onboard upgrade to SP mid-journey if your train got busier?

Yes.

And if so would they still charge you according to the start/end stations on your ticket?

They shouldn't, but to avoid misunderstanding if you are going to do this you'd do well to find the guard and tell them you are, as otherwise they will likely assume you are fibbing.

MKB

Further to the suggestion upthread that Avanti first-class food is improved, especially for vegetarians, and my response that that wasn't my experience, I have another data point.

The 07:47 Liverpool to Euston this morning was quite poor. There were no cereals nor toast, and no second cup of tea. There are no specifically vegetarian options, just three vegan options, namely:

Vegan Breakfast - Lightly spiced corn fritter served with smashed avocado, roasted tomato and portobello mushroom
Superfood Breakfast Bowl - A mix of fresh and dried fruits topped with a sprinkle of coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mint, and maple syrup
Fresh Fruit Plate - Melon, papaya, pineapple and strawberry served with a drizzle of lemon verbena syrup

I ordered the vegan breakfast five minutes before leaving Liverpool and it arrived just before Stafford. It was insubstantial.

I miss the days when I could have cereals, toast & marmalade, and a veggie sausage bap, or the veggie version of the full English that included fried egg and veggie sausages.

The only positive was that the orange juice was not-from-concentrate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For tea and coffee, they should just get some decent-sized pots in and put one on each table. Teapots and cafetieres are not expensive and it means you don't need to keep topping it up.

38Cto15E

One cup of tea on a 2 hour journey Breakfast train is very poor.
With the advent of SP, are Avanti planning any seating layout changes to a First Class coach during the refurb?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One cup of tea on a 2 hour journey Breakfast train is very poor.
With the advent of SP, are Avanti planning any seating layout changes to a First Class coach during the refurb?

No layout changes are planned in either class. New seats will be fitted in Standard but they will be to the same layout (which will mean more legroom as they are much thinner backed than the present ones).

The reason for this is that they are not fitting a new reservation system, and shifting the existing one round is costly and complex.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Further to the suggestion upthread that Avanti first-class food is improved, especially for vegetarians, and my response that that wasn't my experience, I have another data point.

The 07:47 Liverpool to Euston this morning was quite poor. There were no cereals nor toast, and no second cup of tea. There are no specifically vegetarian options, just three vegan options, namely:

Vegan Breakfast - Lightly spiced corn fritter served with smashed avocado, roasted tomato and portobello mushroom
Superfood Breakfast Bowl - A mix of fresh and dried fruits topped with a sprinkle of coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mint, and maple syrup
Fresh Fruit Plate - Melon, papaya, pineapple and strawberry served with a drizzle of lemon verbena syrup

I ordered the vegan breakfast five minutes before leaving Liverpool and it arrived just before Stafford. It was insubstantial.

I miss the days when I could have cereals, toast & marmalade, and a veggie sausage bap, or the veggie version of the full English that included fried egg and veggie sausages.

The only positive was that the orange juice was not-from-concentrate.
May I comment that, although you had paid for first class, which expalains the exotic choices I suppose, you live in a separate world from such as I - and I suspect 99% of the population. I would not have the faintest idea how those concoctions could be assembled at 07.47 on a train!

I agree about the tea though. I need 4 cups to start the day, so would be miffed at such a miserable peformance on that one!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

Last time I was on that train (pre-Covid), I think I eaten my cooked breakfast before we got to Edge Hill, no kidding. It was nice, but a tiny portion unfortunately.

No layout changes are planned in either class. New seats will be fitted in Standard but they will be to the same layout (which will mean more legroom as they are much thinner backed than the present ones).

The reason for this is that they are not fitting a new reservation system, and shifting the existing one round is costly and complex.
Will the reservation screens be replaced along the lines of the 800 series they cant possibly be compliant any more!

mmh

Established Member

That must just be supposition, given both Voyagers and Pendolinos have already been reconfigured.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Last time I was on that train (pre-Covid), I think I eaten my cooked breakfast before we got to Edge Hill, no kidding. It was nice, but a tiny portion unfortunately.
I'm surprised the catering crew started cooking the food so early in the journey. Many times I've travelled in First Class early morning 05:33 Preston to Euston, orders for food are usually taken shortly after Preston, with it being served a little after leaving Warrington, usually around the Crewe area.

Northbound when I used to travel on the 08:15 Preston to Glasgow, breakfast orders were usually taken rather promptly after leaving Preston, by the Scottish catering crew who had also just boarded at Preston, with food served just before or after Oxenholme.

I once remember having First Class a Super Voyager to myself several years ago on the 07:17 Preston to Birmingham and the catering lady served me the mini breakfast as we passed through Leyland.

Status
Not open for further replies.