• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all, I uploaded myself a new avatar today and one thing I've realised is that mine is always 'fuzzy' and pixilated whilst everyone else's avatars are the same size as mine but much better quality.
It is something to do with the camera being used or am I doing something wrong?:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
How big was the photo you uploaded?

If it was larger than 150x110 pixels it would have been re-sized by the forum software, which may account for the bad quality.

Coxster

Established Member
What people do is re-size them in an image editor and upload the smaller one as image editors retain the smooth lines.

Hmm I re-sized the picture for my avatar as 140x105 so it is in forum guidelines so I'm not sure why it is so fuzzy...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
37372 said:
Hmm I re-sized the picture for my avatar as 140x105 so it is in forum guidelines so I'm not sure why it is so fuzzy...
What software did you use? Did it give you an option of resize method? (e.g. bilinear, bicubic or pixel resize?)

At the moment I'm using Jasc paintshop Pro 8 and re-sizing the image using the pixel measurement eg. 140x105 pixels.
Can Irfanview be downloaded or does it have to be bought?

devon_metro

Established Member
Downloaded, don't have the link though.

Better? It might be too big though?

Wow that does look better, I'll use that one instead!
And thats done using Irfanview?

ChrisM

37372 said:
At the moment I'm using Jasc paintshop Pro 8 and re-sizing the image using the pixel measurement eg. 140x105 pixels.
That's what i use to resize all my photos with no quailty problems although i use 'smart' resize and make sure you lock the aspect ratio or the image might degrade.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Smart resize uses either bilinear or bicubic interpolation - whichever is appropriate.

Pixel resize gives awful results, so that explains it!

All sorted now, thanks for all your help8-)

Compare the quality of these:

What I was originally doing...

What I am doing now using smart resize and not pixel resize, much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.