• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Stansted makes more sense to get to for plenty of north+east Londoners than Heathrow or Gatwick so I can see the logic. But the capacity is indeed staggering, 7?8? are A380 as well.

Flight was full, but then again they were still selling £130 one way tickets 5hrs before departure so it's not surprising.

Good they can fill it, but wonder about the sustainability at those prices.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wonder what they will do. Random date next summer one way from STN to DXB starts at +£3000. They aren't going to be happy with a naff lounge or a voucher for the Weatherspoons.

They may negotiate with Escape.

At Newcastle there’s an “Aspire Plus” section of the already half decent Aspire lounge there, which is open to Emirates Business passengers. Basically a bit quieter and with better alcohol.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Wow. Stansted will be cock-a-hoop. Wouldn't be surprised if they gave them a discount just to get a big name long haul in.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Yes I'm sure there was some kind of financial deal. If nothing else I'm sure they gave them a discount on the parking time. The plane has a 7 hour layover, so I'm sure they have negotiated something. That or they have a tag-on route planned...

I think the longest route from Stansted at the moment is probably Tel Aviv for passenger.

I think AA used to operate there, and Primera are starting from next year to the US.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes I'm sure there was some kind of financial deal. If nothing else I'm sure they gave them a discount on the parking time. The plane has a 7 hour layover, so I'm sure they have negotiated something. That or they have a tag-on route planned...

I think the longest route from Stansted at the moment is probably Tel Aviv for passenger.

I think AA used to operate there, and Primera are starting from next year to the US.

They desperately want a US carrier in for sure.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I don't know where Primera are based, but they will be flying to the US. I think they're going to BHX as well.

Dentonian

Established Member
I don't know where Primera are based, but they will be flying to the US. I think they're going to BHX as well.

They seem to be Nomadic. Originally Icelandic, they were then based in Denmark, but now seem to have most of the fleet registered in Latvia. Of course, there could be tax or other reasons for this, just like Norwegian seem to be more Irish/Spanish than Scandinavian nowadays.

Crawley Ben

Indeed they will be flying to/from BHX along with Standstead. Believe the flights will be operated with new A321 aircraft? Be interesting to see how they get on against the likes of Norwegian & WOW Air in the battle of the low cost long haul carriers.

Cheers

Ben

atillathehunn

Established Member
Indeed. A few enthusiasts I know have tickets for the inaugural or early transatlantic flights next year. I’m not risking my money.
I think I'm with them on that one.

BMI but one in the mud at Bristol last night. From the pictures, all the wheels are fairly well into the mud. Going to take quite a bit to pull that out of there.

Dentonian

Established Member
Noting its a particularly "non-standard" time of year, is there anyone that can advise me about the timing of getting cheap(er) flights in the now computer dominated world of booking flights? I had been monitoring flights for a particular weekend (first weekend in Feb), whilst waiting medical and work based clearance to book. For a week or so, prices were stable and when I checked yesterday lunchtime, there still hadn't been a change. I had hoped to be home from work early enough to act, but for the first time in 19 years my employer turned "scrooge" and we had to work the full day. I was then too busy to do anything last night and when I got home today; surprise, surprise, the fare had gone up over 10%. Question now is should I stick, twist or abandon? In other words, what difference will the post Christmas period make? Will the fare just keep rising until departure date/plane full or could the Xmas/NY holiday period mean a fall before business people return to work and start organising their trips?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Need more information than that - where are you going? Flexible on time and dates? Airline preference? I would suggest generally that long haul sales happen after Christmas.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If it's over £100 just chuck it on a credit card and nothing to worry about.

There’s lots to worry about when you’ve got a whole 2-week itinerary resting on a single leg being fulfilled. If they go kaput then sure I’ll get the money back but I’ll also have to buy another single ticket, probably at short notice.

Dentonian

Established Member
Need more information than that - where are you going? Flexible on time and dates? Airline preference? I would suggest generally that long haul sales happen after Christmas.

I didn't want to make it too personal initially as it was a forum wide query. It would be MAN-LIS for 3 nights. Any dates between 20 January and 6 February inclusive. Direct would have to be TAP and their 1050 out would be ideal. Return could be their mid pm flight but open to 1 stop if back in MAN before 2130 ish. Ta

Dentonian

Established Member
It seems to be c. £110 return on TAP or KLM. It's £28 one way on Ryanair.
Thanks. Obviously, prices vary across the period I quoted, and I ruled out Ryanair straight away, because of their inconvenient flight times and reports of indiscriminate cancelling of flights over the Winter due to their crew shortages. My original preference leapt from £123 to £139 overnight last Friday, but I've just re-jigged my time off work options, and ended up with TAP for yes, just under £110!

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks. Obviously, prices vary across the period I quoted, and I ruled out Ryanair straight away, because of their inconvenient flight times and reports of indiscriminate cancelling of flights over the Winter due to their crew shortages. My original preference leapt from £123 to £139 overnight last Friday, but I've just re-jigged my time off work options, and ended up with TAP for yes, just under £110!
I'm jealous, you can afford to pay £70 more just to avoid Ryanair.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Depends on your appetite for risk and for saving.

I've avoided Ryanair on some journeys because I need the option to be protected onto another carrier in the same airline or alliance.

Dentonian

Established Member
TBF Ryanair often fly only once a day on many routes. Saving money on the airfare can be quickly nullified if the limited schedule leads to the need for an extra night's hotel accommodation. YMMV.

Got it in one. Alternatively, it could mean taxi fare added if an early morning flight (before Stagecoach and High Peak get up!) as well as the current question mark over staffing at Ryanair. Besides, its actually barely £50 saving based on attila'' s quote

atillathehunn

Established Member
I'm getting a wee bit sick of the very early morning flights. A necessary evil sometimes, though.

WatcherZero

Established Member
You can also get insurance for airline/flight issues by booking through a travel agent rather than direct with the airline. My mother and Aunt cancelled a flight due to death of the family member they were going to see, my mother booking through travel agent got refunded immediately, my Aunt who booked the same flight direct with the airline took six weeks to get a refund through credit card company.

Status
Not open for further replies.