• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you for the quick identification of the 747 everyone. :D

Yes, I was on a BA Airbus 319, G-EUPY, on BA1394. This it it at Manchester Ringway after the flight.

I have to say that the seats in this, and A320 G-EUUL on the return, were far better than the uncomfortable seats in G-DBCB on my previous BA Airbus 319 flight in November 2016, so I have to ask now... are the seats I had yesterday the normal ones and G-DBCB just happens to have worse ones and it was just bad luck that I had that one previouslyJan 2018 042.JPG ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atillathehunn

Established Member
So I correctly identified the 747. Don't all congratulate me at once. Ha ha.
Very good. Claim your £5 from the UAE royal family, they seem to have enough cash on hand if they have 5 747s on standby....

I suspect you had the thinner, arguably more comfortable seats, and newer seats. I'm not sure back then they had upgraded all their fleet so you possibly got the older seats.

Speedbird96

Thank you for the quick identification of the 747 everyone. :D

Yes, I was on a BA Airbus 319, G-EUPY, on BA1394. This it it at Manchester Ringway after the flight.

I have to say that the seats in this, and A320 G-EUUL on the return, were far better than the uncomfortable seats in G-DBCB on my previous BA Airbus 319 flight in November 2016, so I have to ask now... are the seats I had yesterday the normal ones and G-DBCB just happens to have worse ones and it was just bad luck that I had that one previouslyView attachment 41822 ?

The ones you travelled on recently were the refurbished short-haul interiors that are standard across the Heathrow based short-haul Airbus A320 family fleet (minus the ex-BMI Airbus A320s) and the Gatwick second-hand Airbus A320s feature the B/E (now Rockwell Collins) Pinnacle seats shown below.
the-interior-of-a-british-airways-aeroplane-flight-f3k8nb.jpg

G-DBCB, along with the ex-BMI Airbus A319s (based at Gatwick) and ex-BMI Airbus A320s feature different slimline seats.
3605471_orig.jpg

With British Airways taking delivery of Airbus A320/A321neos this year, they will make a start on retiring the Airbus A319s (since they are the oldest and some are leased) with 10 to leave the fleet by 2019, with G-DBCI expected to be the first by March 2018. Plans are the Airbus A319s based at London Heathrow are to transfer over to replace the leased Airbus A319s based at London Gatwick.

British Airways are already making a start on reconfiguring their Gatwick based Boeing 777-200ERs with 10-abreast seating with G-VIIX currently in Singapore being 'densified' as confirmed by The BA Source. British Airways has already made a start on increasing the number of seats on its Heathrow based Airbus A320 and Airbus A321 fleet, going from 168 and 205 seats to 180 and 218 seats respectively. Since the list of changes is quite intensive, I will link below the changes which has been posted on numerous blogs but also from a BA cabin crew member who has recently undergone training for the new cabins.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....rways-is-introducing-seats-that-dont-recline/

BA have begun training for MF and EF crews on the new NEOs entering service next year. I had mine the other week. A couple of bits:
  • First 320N delivered March, first 321N delivered September
  • All LHR 320 and 321CEOs to be retrofitted with new seating and SpaceFlex Galleys. The first refurbished 321C is in Prestwick being worked on now (first service provisionally the PMI on the 6th Jan).
  • A319s are going to LGW as are Sharklet fitted A320s. Do not believe there are plans to refurbish these.
  • Pinnacle seats (current) for the first 12 rows on 320C&N, and the first 14 rows on 321C&Ns. These will have both USB and a conventional plug socket
  • New Recaro seats aft of Club which will just have USB power. These seats will not recline.
  • 321Ns will have overwing exits and 3 main door pairs instead of current 4 door pairs.
  • No video screens, manual demo every time and the life jackets will have tapes that clip and not a double bow to tie (yay!)
  • Club loads will be capped on long flights due to limited available galley space. This won’t be a problem on short sectors as trays are smaller and no starters etc.
  • There’s no waste bins or cold potable water tap at the rear, so all water runs and clear ins in ET will have to be made from the Club galley after they have completed their service.
  • There are new ovens which are apparently the same as the 350. These give more options for cooking. For the Winter 2018 menu there may be M&S hot meals included in the BOB options, but this is yet to be confirmed.
  • No duty free on any short haul flights, no space for the trolleys!
  • Some changes coming to Club Europe service in April, this wasn’t elaborated on too much.
  • BOB is here to stay, as is M&S. There are no plans to add free water/tea/coffee despite any rumours.
/QUOTE]

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah, good - so what I had on Saturday is the current standard? Excellent. That makes me much more likely to use them again.

You can see them clearly in this selfie I did ( with a DSLR, not my phone! ) on board. are these the newer seats you mention?

Jan 2018 027.JPG

atillathehunn

Established Member
Yes those are the new seats. I think almost everything in the short haul fleet should have them by now or very soon. My last 4 short haul BA flights in the last few weeks have had them.

I would like to say I remember them well from my last trip, but I slept through the entire thing from start to finish.

Selfie with a DSLR is impressive!

TheAlbanach_

BA are increasing the amount of seats? The legroom on short haul (apart from Embrears) is already awful. Flew BA 7 times last years, on A319/20 B767 & E190. On the a319/20 I barely had room to move and I’m not that tall. Flew with easyJet and Ryanair too last year and had more room than I did on BA.

gsnedders

Established Member
BA are increasing the amount of seats? The legroom on short haul (apart from Embrears) is already awful. Flew BA 7 times last years, on A319/20 B767 & E190. On the a319/20 I barely had room to move and I’m not that tall. Flew with easyJet and Ryanair too last year and had more room than I did on BA.
Note that the seats are almost being replaced with slimmer ones that don't recline; I believe they should be comparable with easyJet when done. Note in principle seat pitch is 30" currently – 1" more than easyJet currently, and is going down to 29".

Speedbird96

Note that the seats are almost being replaced with slimmer ones that don't recline; I believe they should be comparable with easyJet when done. Note in principle seat pitch is 30" currently – 1" more than easyJet currently, and is going down to 29".

Also that the increased number of seating is due to the Airbus A320/A321s being retrofitted with SpaceFlex cabins as well, already seen on Lufthansa’s newer Airbus A320ceo (after D-AIUP) and Airbus A320neo which too have 180 seats.

gsnedders

Established Member
Also that the increased number of seating is due to the Airbus A320/A321s being retrofitted with SpaceFlex cabins as well, already seen on Lufthansa’s newer Airbus A320ceo (after D-AIUP) and Airbus A320neo which too have 180 seats.
And for those who don't know, that's a redesign of the rear galley to allow an extra row of seats (IIRC).

Speedbird96

And for those who don't know, that's a redesign of the rear galley to allow an extra row of seats (IIRC).

Yep, I concur with that!

Can someone please tell me what inflight entertainment is like on Air Mauritius? I’ve heard worryingly bad things...

On their Airbus A340-300s (which regularly fly out of Heathrow), not great. They are being retired by new Airbus A350s which have a considerably improved in-flight entertainment system.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yep, I concur with that!

On their Airbus A340-300s (which regularly fly out of Heathrow), not great. They are being retired by new Airbus A350s which have a considerably improved in-flight entertainment system.
Thanks. I’d be taking it from Paris to Mauritius.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes those are the new seats. I think almost everything in the short haul fleet should have them by now or very soon. My last 4 short haul BA flights in the last few weeks have had them.

Selfie with a DSLR is impressive!

Thanks; and good to hear that those are the new seats - extremely comfortable; leg room was very good as well especially when you consider that was the back row ( 23 ) in the A319; the leg room in the A320 on the way back ( row 28 ) was equally good.

As for the DSLR - I simply turned the lens to the widest setting, 18mm, and held as far away as I could while still being able to trigger the shutter with the one hand. Took three attempts, to be honest.

I've done this before actually with the same DSLR - when I took my daughter on her own first airliner flight, the aforementioned trip on G-DBCB in November 2016. That, I guess, is definitely the old seats as they were rather hard and uncomfortable. See below...

Nov 2016 133.JPG

gsnedders

Established Member
I've done this before actually with the same DSLR - when I took my daughter on her own first airliner flight, the aforementioned trip on G-DBCB in November 2016. That, I guess, is definitely the old seats as they were rather hard and uncomfortable.
Yeah, those are the much older, much thicker, and much less comfortable seats. I feel like they distinctly got worse after the refurb programme started, presumably less maintenance happening on the old seats.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yeah, those are the much older, much thicker, and much less comfortable seats. I feel like they distinctly got worse after the refurb programme started, presumably less maintenance happening on the old seats.

Thank you. for confirming. :smile:

( The thought occurs to me that here we have an instance where a newer seat is widely agreed to be much more comfortable than an older seat... )

Domh245

Established Member
Could those older seats be a carry over from DBCB's days with bmi - or were they properly refurbished when they moved over?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have no idea; I wondered about that but given that was four years after BA took over BM and it didn't look untidy or tatty inside in any way, I would have thought it must have been given at least some sort of refurbishment by then?

atillathehunn

Established Member
I would imagine they put some new upholstery on them in the transition but little else.

I am a fan of the new short haul seat, and the new easyJet one as it happens. Consensus is a rare beast. I found my most recent KLM 737 near unbearable.

I also enjoy the gentleman a few rows behind trying to get in on the selfie in the second one posted. How did the first plane ride go?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't think he was trying to get in on the picture; I think he was just trying to see what I was doing.

The rides went very well in both cases, thank you. The return on Saturday was particularly scenic... now this is what an evening flight is all about! :D

Jan 2018 048.JPG

atillathehunn

Established Member
Gorgeous. There's something special about the sky at that height and those colours.

I'm plotting a trip with the better half up north to the arctic to see the northern lights before I go back to East Africa on assignment. Wondering whether a northern lights flight is a better option. I would imagine they look stunning from up there.

Speedbird96

Could those older seats be a carry over from DBCB's days with bmi - or were they properly refurbished when they moved over?

Yep, the ex-BMI Airbus A319/A320s feature the older seats and since they are being withdrawn, there is no need to refurbish them.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Gorgeous. There's something special about the sky at that height and those colours.

I'm plotting a trip with the better half up north to the arctic to see the northern lights before I go back to East Africa on assignment. Wondering whether a northern lights flight is a better option. I would imagine they look stunning from up there.

There is no guarantee of the aurora appearing on any particular night, though, so you'd be taking a gamble - it would certainly be worth it if you get it right, though.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Yes.

They were reupholstered from brown to blue but the seat and cushioning remained the same.

I had these seats to Lanzarote and back. They are okay, if you have had a few drinks. :)

atillathehunn

Established Member
There is no guarantee of the aurora appearing on any particular night, though, so you'd be taking a gamble - it would certainly be worth it if you get it right, though.
Yes you are right, there is no guarantee. Maybe we will go for the land-based option. To be honest, it's for me. She used to live in Finland so is probably sick of them.

Crawley Ben

I was fortunate enough to see the Northern Lights in Iceland last week (what an incredible sight) I hope you & your other half are fortunate enough to see them too as well

Cheers

Ben (we flew Easyjet from Gatwick - A320 both ways, so I don't steer the topic off course too much)

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
Sounds great Ben! I've seen them once, but very weakly as it was summer in Iceland. I don't think I got any where near the full effect. (I flew on an easyJet A320 from Manchester both ways, so we remain on topic ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.