• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atillathehunn

Established Member
Anyone got any advice on how long before departure to get to Terminal 1 in Manchester before a 17:40 departure to get through security etc. in early September.

Depends a bit if you're dropping bags as well. There can be big queues for both bag drop and security this time of year, and many of those travelling at the moment are inexperienced travellers, and take 45 minutes unpacking their bag at security looking for liquids...

Crawley Ben

Depends a bit if you're dropping bags as well. There can be big queues for both bag drop and security this time of year, and many of those travelling at the moment are inexperienced travellers, and take 45 minutes unpacking their bag at security looking for liquids...

An article below relating to Manchester Airport & security waiting times appeared this morning - I have attached it below For info

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...-misses-security-waiting-time-targets-in-june

Cheers

Ben

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An article below relating to Manchester Airport & security waiting times appeared this morning - I have attached it below For info

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...-misses-security-waiting-time-targets-in-june

Cheers

Ben

Thanks for that, as I'm flying from Manchester in 12 days time I was just a little bit worried. Especially when I've been hearing scare stories about people waiting 4 hours to check in and to get there earlier. By the sounds of it I shouldn't be worrying, not from a read of that.

I believe I'm due to arrive at whichever terminal it is for Jet2 around 1320 (generous walking time as I'll have a 4-wheeler case with me), and as my boarding passes advertises the gate's booked close time to be 1550 I reckon I'll be fine.

Talking of, I was surprised to discover I have no choice but to check in at the airport when I return from Prague, seems so backward in this day and age!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Talking of, I was surprised to discover I have no choice but to check in at the airport when I return from Prague, seems so backward in this day and age!

I find it very annoying when airlines expect you to check in online, but only open the check-in after you are away on holiday. Fine if you are staying at a hotel with wifi, but when you are up a mountain, it is rather hard to arrange.

Although to be honest, for passengers with bags, I have never really seen the point of online check-in, you still have to visit a bag desk or use a auto-terminal and I find that it usually seems to take the same amount of time.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As I normally don't check in bags, online check in works well for me. Agreed with that point on check-in though. I've been bowled out by the 24 hour check in thing before, an absolute nightmare couple of hours trying to get that dealt with once in Glasgow! Thankfully having mobile apps for boarding passes is a godsend these days, less bits of paper to faff around with for one and no reliance on a printer!

WestCoast

Established Member
Just a heads up those flying from Terminal 1 at Manchester. Jet2 actually have their own check-in and security screening on the ground floor which is open to all passengers (the main check-in for all other airlines plus the main security screening area is on the first floor). Follow signs to 'Jet2/Ground Level Check-In'. If there's not loads of Jet2 flights departing it can be quicker to use, or conversely, slower if there is!

FQTV

I find it very annoying when airlines expect you to check in online, but only open the check-in after you are away on holiday. Fine if you are staying at a hotel with wifi, but when you are up a mountain, it is rather hard to arrange.

Although to be honest, for passengers with bags, I have never really seen the point of online check-in, you still have to visit a bag desk or use a auto-terminal and I find that it usually seems to take the same amount of time.

Broadly-speaking, airlines which operate single type fleets are the only ones that can offer early check-in online. Network carriers with various types may often need to equipment swap at short-notice, so generally limit online check-in to just before departure.

Although it's absolutely true that there's no passenger time saving to checking in online versus doing so at the airport when bag drop is required, airline systems do recognise that those who check in online, especially those who do so on network carriers at the moment that the facility opens, are much less likely to no-show. Accordingly, downgrades and bumps are less likely, and operational upgrades slightly more likely, as the airline effectively reads that your keenness to check in correlates with your likelihood to turn up. Not an exact science, but statistically-sound.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Although it's absolutely true that there's no passenger time saving to checking in online versus doing so at the airport when bag drop is required, airline systems do recognise that those who check in online, especially those who do so on network carriers at the moment that the facility opens, are much less likely to no-show. Accordingly, downgrades and bumps are less likely, and operational upgrades slightly more likely, as the airline effectively reads that your keenness to check in correlates with your likelihood to turn up. Not an exact science, but statistically-sound.

Good point. Its the reason I always join an airline's frequent flyer scheme, even if I rarely earn enough points to do anything, apparently it puts you above the rest of the cattle class when it comes to picking who to bump off.

Richard_B

Just a comment on the new(ish) Norweigan route Dublin-Providence as i flew it today. Main thing I noticed was the despite the lack of official connections there were lots of people on the flight who sounded very English.. so if they are getting in on the UK - US travel market as well as the pure Dublin market it bodes well for the success of the route. And it was basically full - max 10 seats not taken so their gamble may well pay off. It wasn't 737Max operated though, but that didn't seem to affect anything the customers had to do/see

gsnedders

Established Member
Just a comment on the new(ish) Norweigan route Dublin-Providence as i flew it today. Main thing I noticed was the despite the lack of official connections there were lots of people on the flight who sounded very English.. so if they are getting in on the UK - US travel market as well as the pure Dublin market it bodes well for the success of the route. And it was basically full - max 10 seats not taken so their gamble may well pay off. It wasn't 737Max operated though, but that didn't seem to affect anything the customers had to do/see

737 MAX 8 operated from 2017-09-01.

daikilo

Established Member
Broadly-speaking, airlines which operate single type fleets are the only ones that can offer early check-in online. Network carriers with various types may often need to equipment swap at short-notice, so generally limit online check-in to just before departure.

Firstly, any airline can offer a checkin a few days out as the aircraft schedules will be frozen by then, and if there is a last minute change, reseating is always possible.

Secondly, I once missed a Lufthansa flight because I decided to check-in at the airport and could not get the machine to accept my passport to do so. By the time I gave up and got to the bag drop-off the flight had been closed. (No complaints on what happened after).

Lrd

Established Member
Anyone got any tips for surviving a 14 hour flight?

I'm flying from Sydney to LAX on Sunday with Delta (booked on Virgin Australia), luckily I have an aisle seat (in economy) but it appears to be a full cabin.

Still trying to get my head around the timezones as well, I leave Oz at midday, fly for 14 hours and get to LA at 8am the same day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
With my longest flight ever (so far!) being LGW-JFK (London Gatwick to New York John F Kennedy, just to be perfectly clear) at nowhere near as long as your flight Lrd, I can't comment accurately on how to pass time.

However I do thoroughly recommend you take full advantage of any In-Flight Entertainment, which saved me on the endurance flight I did above (especially in the poor economy seat I had on my JFK-LGW flight) as otherwise I'd have gone insane. You will also find having an aisle seat to be useful, with far greater access to the aisle for getting up and walking about.

I don't recommend drinking anything alcoholic on the plane though, you'll find yourself getting dehydrated much more easily from it up that high. My other big recommendation is to get up and have a walkabout regularly. It might not help a lot, but it will help starve off boredom a little bit.

Eating a proper meal before the flight will help too, nothing worse than being hungry on a plane and wanting a decent meal. I also recommend taking bottles of water onto the plane (after going through security!) too, if only for saving a fortune on in-flight drinks.

If you've got a good book to read, that will help pass time too. Which reminds me that I have a book to start reading, and I have some flights and long rail journeys on which to read it, problem is where did I put it...

I watched a video earlier on YouTube which gave a useful piece of advice. Set your watch (should you wear one, which I don't) to the local time in your destination when you take off, as this will help you adjust more naturally to the local time when you arrive. I did similar on my trip to New York, helped by regular displays of the current time on the screens, and it helped a bit. Not massively, granted, but it's the small things that help.

I do hope, Lrd, you post some reviews of your flights on this thread once you're home. From what I've briefly seen on Twitter, you've had quite the exploration of the world already!

atillathehunn

Established Member

I'm flying from Sydney to LAX on Sunday with Delta (booked on Virgin Australia), luckily I have an aisle seat (in economy) but it appears to be a full cabin.

Still trying to get my head around the timezones as well, I leave Oz at midday, fly for 14 hours and get to LA at 8am the same day.

Dress in something casual and comfortable, and in layers so you can add and remove with ease to suit the temperature of the cabin. Sweat pants, t shirt, hoody. You'll look like a yob, but after the first 8 hours you really won't care.

A variety of entertainment is key, else you'll get fed up.

Cannot emphasise enough what Tech said on standing up and moving around. Not just boredom, but for your own health. DVT is a very real thing.

You probably won't be able to sleep with the cabin being daylight etc, so that method of passing the time is out.

atillathehunn

Established Member

How was the experience? As bad as it seems?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I forgot to mention flight socks. The ones like you can get in Asda (for example) for £6 or so will do you just fine, not really needed for short journeys but for long ones in cramped seats I would highly recommend getting them.

DVT may not affect you anyway, but why take the risk?

atillathehunn

Established Member
I forgot to mention flight socks. The ones like you can get in Asda (for example) for £6 or so will do you just fine, not really needed for short journeys but for long ones in cramped seats I would highly recommend getting them.

DVT may not affect you anyway, but why take the risk?

On a flight of that length they will be given out.

fowler9

Established Member

I've had 3 flights around the 13 hour mark, Heathrow to Hong Kong, Auckland to Santiago and Buenos Aires to Heathrow. On top of that I had an 8-9 hour flight from Hong Kong to Melbourne. They were with British Airways, Qantas and LAN (Now LATAM). On all of them the food, booze and water was free. I would be amazed if you didn't at least get fed and watered on Delta. On a flight of that length you will be given free water at the very least and I would be amazed again if the cabin crew don't make regular water runs and they wouldn't refuse you free water if you went and asked or it. Airlines from America are a bit stingy so I wouldn't expect the free beers I got upon asking on the airlines I travelled with (Qantas were amazing as were LAN, BA not so much).

As for the flights, I quite happily had a few beers with no ill effect. I didn't get smashed or anything. I spent most of the flight watching films, having a beer and going for a stroll. I normally like to sit in an aisle seat long haul so I can get up and go for a wander or a wee without bothering anyone. I really enjoyed it, I got through so many films, not sure what Deltas options are like but to be fair the airlines I travelled with had plenty to choose from including lots of local films. On LAN I watched a film called The Colour Of The Mountains which was a drama about kids growing up in Colombia during the troubles they had there. On the Qantas flight there was a film called Mad B*stards about people living in an outback town and all the various issues there. There will be all the usual blockbusters to.

By all means have a beer or something, just don't get drunk. A beer may help you nod off to sleep. For me flying for 13 hours watching films, eating and drinking is a lot less uncomfortable than being stuck at my desk taking calls for 8. :D

fowler9

Established Member

I hope this doesn't break forum rules (If it does please delete and I apologise) but here is a Delta flight review from Sydney to LAX. http://www.traveltalkmag.com.au/blog/articles/flight-review-delta-air-lines-dl16-syd-to-lax

Richard_B

If you go for a 5 minute stroll every hour approx and get a drink or use the facilities that's an hour and a bit crossed off already...

fowler9

Established Member
At the end of the day it is going to be a bit mind bending. I flew at 4pm on Christmas Eve from Auckland to Santiago, I landed at 11am on Christmas Eve 13 hours later in Santiago, Chile, before I had left New Zealand. It will wreck your head at least a bit.

Lrd

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the tips. Tech, I will try and do a report when I get home yes :)

I've already got those socks so will need to remember to wear them. I like the idea of walking around every hour or so to mark them off so to speak.

Does anyone know if Delta keep their cabins warm? I definitely prefer to stay cool but the occasional airline keep the cabins a bit toasty.

And to whoever posted the trip report, that's much appreciated, I had looked on YouTube and there wasn't a whole lot for Delta.

I will always try to take water with me however I did have this taken off me at Kuala Lumpur. I had a connecting flight from China to Australia with AirAsia X and after landing in Malaysia we went through a quick security check and bag search, was then airside and used the AirAsia lounge to get some breakfast and took a couple of cans of drink with me but had to go through another security check and bag search before going through to the gate and had all my drinks taking off me so had nothing for the flight.

fowler9

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the tips. Tech, I will try and do a report when I get home yes :)

I've already got those socks so will need to remember to wear them. I like the idea of walking around every hour or so to mark them off so to speak.

Does anyone know if Delta keep their cabins warm? I definitely prefer to stay cool but the occasional airline keep the cabins a bit toasty.

And to whoever posted the trip report, that's much appreciated, I had looked on YouTube and there wasn't a whole lot for Delta.

I will always try to take water with me however I did have this taken off me at Kuala Lumpur. I had a connecting flight from China to Australia with AirAsia X and after landing in Malaysia we went through a quick security check and bag search, was then airside and used the AirAsia lounge to get some breakfast and took a couple of cans of drink with me but had to go through another security check and bag search before going through to the gate and had all my drinks taking off me so had nothing for the flight.

I posted the trip report mate. It looked like pretty much the same flight you are on given the times you mentioned. I really wouldn't worry about water, at least on long haul like that Delta are pretty much a full service airline whereas Air Asia X are like a long haul Ryanair. Delta will give you water and if they don't I would report back on here and several other websites, pretty much any other airline flying the route would. Lots of airlines in America and also BA are bringing in Buy On Board on shorter services, not flights like that though. Delta aren't quite like Thomas Cook, Norwegian or Air Asia yet though.

P.S. I would expect at least 2 free meals as well, may even get snacks in between.

As another suggestion, have a look on Airliners.net. You may have to do some rooting around. If you do find Delta flights just remember that the short haul is buy on board unlike the long haul.

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
I posted the trip report mate. It looked like pretty much the same flight you are on given the times you mentioned. I really wouldn't worry about water, at least on long haul like that Delta are pretty much a full service airline whereas Air Asia X are like a long haul Ryanair. Delta will give you water and if they don't I would report back on here and several other websites, pretty much any other airline flying the route would. Lots of airlines in America and also BA are bringing in Buy On Board on shorter services, not flights like that though. Delta aren't quite like Thomas Cook, Norwegian or Air Asia yet though.

P.S. I would expect at least 2 free meals as well, may even get snacks in between.

As another suggestion, have a look on Airliners.net. You may have to do some rooting around. If you do find Delta flights just remember that the short haul is buy on board unlike the long haul.

Delta give free meals and free beer and wine, spirits are extra. I also believe it's only the first alcoholic drink which is free, but might be wrong on that one.

I would think on that length there will be two full meals, with a snack bar available throughout. Similar length Cathay, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and Ethiopian have had that set up.

I'm never one to encourage abstinence on flights, as I'm not sure how else you would pass the time. However, the key is hydration, so for every one proper drink, have two waters. If nothing else, queueing for the loo will help pass the time. Get one of those neck pillow things as well.

If you're familiar with the Radio 4 comedy series Cabin Pressure you may wish to indulge in a few rounds of the travelling lemon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What on Earth is this travelling lemon?!

I've extended my next round of #TechsWorldFrenzy and am now making my first visit to Italy on a short trip almost as soon as I come back to the UK! I arrive back on 17th August, after which I'll have a quick spin around London before I take off again from London City on 18th August! I'm due to fly back with BA Cityflyer as well, my return trip being on 19th August.

The forthcoming flights, for those interested, are:

1620 Manchester to Prague, 14th August
0845 (I think!) Prague to London Southend, 17th August
1020 London City to Milan Lilante, 18th August
0655 Milan Lilante to London City, 19th August

By the time I actually return home, after 6 days of travelling, I'll be shattered. I'll have also visited 3 required countries this year, and the word on the street is another one may get visited in October...I'll also have, for now, 4 airport scores, 4 air routes scored, a ton of air miles and potentially 6 aircraft scores (had 2 so far this year) which is just incredible for me.

fowler9

Established Member
What on Earth is this travelling lemon?!

I've extended my next round of #TechsWorldFrenzy and am now making my first visit to Italy on a short trip almost as soon as I come back to the UK! I arrive back on 17th August, after which I'll have a quick spin around London before I take off again from London City on 18th August! I'm due to fly back with BA Cityflyer as well, my return trip being on 19th August.

The forthcoming flights, for those interested, are:

1620 Manchester to Prague, 14th August
0845 (I think!) Prague to London Southend, 17th August
1020 London City to Milan Lilante, 18th August
0655 Milan Lilante to London City, 19th August

By the time I actually return home, after 6 days of travelling, I'll be shattered. I'll have also visited 3 required countries this year, and the word on the street is another one may get visited in October...I'll also have, for now, 4 airport scores, 4 air routes scored, a ton of air miles and potentially 6 aircraft scores (had 2 so far this year) which is just incredible for me.

Get the train from Milan to Torino. Not far away, cheap and an amazing city. At the very least check out Milan Central which I am sure you will anyway. It is an amazing station. About 2 hours to Torino.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for the tips there :) My hotel is close to Milan's central station, so I'll definitely be having a look. Much of interest to see in Milan?

Status
Not open for further replies.