• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Azuma seating plans / windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Apologies if posted before, I did check.
Does anyone know if a seating plan exists of LNER Azuma's, specifically the 5 car car ones, which shows window placement? The ones they have posted online don't...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
Not that I've seen. You can sort-of work out the window arrangement by looking at the seats with tables as they line up with windows. The seats on either side of the table seats should have windows if facing the same direction as the seats in front. I think...

XAM2175

Established Member
This is becoming something of an annoying trend with many operators, especially given that LNER's own seat plans for the IC225 sets do show the window positions very clearly.

williamn

And especially relevant to Azumas given that some seats have no window at all, and that moving from your reserved seat is forbidden at the moment.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it is somewhat annoying that they don't show where the windows are. I ended up reserving myself against a window pillar twice last Saturday! It wasn't terrible as I was reading/working but still a bit irritating. I wonder if @Wallsendmag might be able to illuminate us all on the matter?

westv

Established Member
None of the windowless Azuma seats are available , they are being converted into luggage racks
But that won't include those seats with very poor outside visibility that aren't at the ends of coaches.

rebmcr

Established Member
Are the GWR and LNER units not specified alike by the DfT? Would seating plans for one also apply to the other?

Seehof

Due to social distancing it is possible that now you are reserved into an Azuma windowless seat ie the former seats that were to be converted to additional luggage space.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Due to social distancing it is possible that now you are reserved into an Azuma windowless seat ie the former seats that were to be converted to additional luggage space.

Is it? The units I've been on still have the seats bagged out as luggage only.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is there an actual plan to install a luggage rack? Or are there just going to forever be a set of seats which aren't available for use?

Definitely were to be converted to racks, probably with COVID it's very much of secondary consideration

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there an actual plan to install a luggage rack? Or are there just going to forever be a set of seats which aren't available for use?
There is a definite plan to replace seats with luggage stacks in the 9 car units. Hence Mine and @Wallsendmag posting yesterday...

But here’s the LNER PR including info about it, discussed in the main Azuma thread at the time:

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is it? The units I've been on still have the seats bagged out as luggage only.

They are, but the first row of available seats at each end in each carriage has only about 2 or 3 inches of window and I suspect that's what's being referred to in this thread?

williamn

I upgraded to First on the way out (£8 on seat frog!) to guarantee myself a window... weirdly it reserved me into an aisle seat!

I’m on my return trip and despite there being only three people in my carriage one person’s been reserved into the windowless spot opposite the luggage rack. I’d be very annoyed if I was them!

Last edited:

Seehof

I know of someone who came down from Edinburgh reserved into a windowless seat. They were not happy but for obvious reasons did not like to move. I seem to remember they said it was the “buffet car” coach.

westv

Established Member
They are, but the first row of available seats at each end in each carriage has only about 2 or 3 inches of window and I suspect that's what's being referred to in this thread?
Plus others. For example, B41/42 have no window.

Edit:
In the 9 coach set . Coach B 11/12/13/14/39/40/41/42/73/74/75/76 Plus the first two rows at either end have greatly reduced visibility.

Last edited:

Established Member
Definitely were to be converted to racks, probably with COVID it's very much of secondary consideration

They have started at least 4 of the 800/1s been completed so far, maybe more.
This is being done at Hitachis Factory at Newton Aycliffe.
The 9 car bimodes are first and then attention turns to the 9 car 801s

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They have started at least 4 of the 800/1s been completed so far, maybe more.
This is being done at Hitachis Factory at Newton Aycliffe.
The 9 car bimodes are first and then attention turns to the 9 car 801s

Just taking them a bit of time then to do, presumably as I outlined above?

Established Member
Just taking them a bit of time then to do, presumably as I outlined above?
Aycliffe factory went into lock down due to Covid.
The seat manufacturer and other parts needed were also affected due to covid.
Hitachi has less people working in a confined space in the train at factory due to Covid.
They are only releasing one train at a time to get the mods done.
So yes it it's taking a while, but this was due to start April time but as delayed due to multiple reasons!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Aycliffe factory went into lock down due to Covid.
The seat manufacturer and other parts needed were also affected due to covid.
Hitachi has less people working in a confined space in the train at factory due to Covid.
They are only releasing one train at a time to get the mods done.
So yes it it's taking a while, but this was due to start April time but as delayed due to multiple reasons!!

No I appreciate that, I was saying that I assumed it was delayed due to COVID not criticising the delay.

Stormaggeddon

How about this? It was an FOI response (not mine).

Attachments

• Azuma 800 and 801 seat map.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • FOI response seating plan.pdf
    334.9 KB · Views: 89

westv

Established Member
How about this? It was an FOI response (not mine).
As per my reply further up, not every seat with a window has a viable outside view so any plan that just shows windowless seats is slightly lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.