• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann Blue Pullman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's only a full twelve months late ;) It's certainly been worth waiting for though, and I would rather that Bachmann got all the little details right to begin with rather than annoying little errors manifesting themselves after close scrutiny: £349 is a lot of money to pay if the new model turned out to be less than excellent! I predicted that the retail price would break through the £300 barrier, above the original recommended price when a November 2011 release was earmarked.

I'll certainly be buying one, and if I've still got work after September then it will probably be sooner rather than later :D I've admired and been fascinated by the Blue Pullman trains for many years, particularly the Midland Pullman sets: It's been strange to think when I've walked and cycled the Tissington trail in Derbyshire that less than fifty years previously the Blue Pullman trains had plied the same route on a daily basis.

Plus, the 6-car Midland Pullman set will be a conveniently tidy fit in the platforms on my layout :)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well lets hope they sort out the livery error on the "yellow end" version, luckily Hattons are advertising the N gauge version at £210 pre-order (anyone else remember the time when they flatly refused to do pre-orders or am I getting old?) and the OO version at £290 pre-order.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well lets hope they sort out the livery error on the "yellow end" version, luckily Hattons are advertising the N gauge version at £210 pre-order (anyone else remember the time when they flatly refused to do pre-orders or am I getting old?) and the OO version at £290 pre-order.
What livery error is that? I'm curious now.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well, the yellow end doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the body, it only just covers the lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blue_pullman_60099_-_swansea_-_aug_1967.jpg

Unless of course you are one of the believers that a crew training run had such a livery applied.
I'm not just a believer, I have photographic proof that one of the Midland Pullman sets had a full yellow end, right from the bottom of the body to up over the cab roof and to the back of the cab door, applied when it was transferred to the Western region, still with Midland Pullman branding, and operated crew training runs in this condition.

However, it is a black and white photo, and my scanner isn't always the best when it comes to scanning black and white shots, so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to post a copy of it.

It does seem like a very strange livery selection for Bachmann to choose to model that is surely going to dramatically limit the marketability of the model: An essentially experimental livery that was only worn for a short period, and probably not even while the unit was allocated to the Midland region.

Interesting about the N Gauge version. I want one and £210 isn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Eventually I shall build a layout based on Birmingham in the 1960s so I should have one really. Might have to get on and pre-order.

Roylang

I'm not just a believer, I have photographic proof that one of the Midland Pullman sets had a full yellow end, right from the bottom of the body to up over the cab roof and to the back of the cab door, applied when it was transferred to the Western region, still with Midland Pullman branding, and operated crew training runs in this condition.

However, it is a black and white photo, and my scanner isn't always the best when it comes to scanning black and white shots, so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to post a copy of it.

It does seem like a very strange livery selection for Bachmann to choose to model that is surely going to dramatically limit the marketability of the model: An essentially experimental livery that was only worn for a short period, and probably not even while the unit was allocated to the Midland region.

Was it really yellow? I have seen evidence that at least one had a white cab roof and bottom when with the Western region.

Edit:

In fact after posting a google search revealed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5815182564/
http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number8607.asp

Roy

Rugd1022

The all over yellow end is correct on the Bachmann BP, but only one power car of that particular set carried this version, and then again only for a very short period before going back into Swindon Works to have the multiple working gear fitted. An aquaintance of mine (ex-WR management at the time) has a copy of an internal notice issued for the crew training runs from Old Oak which took place for one week only in November '66 using the ex- Midland six car set which was photographed at Newbury with a full yelow end.

This was the only time it ever went out on the mainline in this livery - when it went into Swindon Works the cab roof, cab doors and the area above the bufferbeam were painted over in Nanking Blue, as was the 'Midland' part of the logo on the bodysides. A photo showing these obvious changes was published in Model Rail mag a few years ago which clearly shows the fresh blue paint where the yellow areas and the 'Midland' name have been painted out. I have this photo in a scrapbook somewhere, I'll dig it out and scan it later ;)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
It's been strange to think when I've walked and cycled the Tissington trail in Derbyshire that less than fifty years previously the Blue Pullman trains had plied the same route on a daily basis.

I fear that you are referring to the wrong route young man! The Blue Pullmans ran between Manchester and Derby via Millersdale Junction, not the Buxton - Ashbourne line!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I fear that you are referring to the wrong route young man! The Blue Pullmans ran between Manchester and Derby via Millersdale Junction, not the Buxton - Ashbourne line!
That's a truly excellent point, I've got my Derbyshire rail lines mixed up :oops: Thanks for pointing that out.

Bluejay55

Looks absolutly stunning, and as one of the comments on the video says - Looks like Hornby need to take a look at how to make pullmans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWa0_NArMg&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

At £349 it's a tad on the pricey side, but when you think about what your getting for that, it works out rather well!

Should be due around November apparently.

Can't wait for the release of this much desired 6 unit set. I am not usually a big fan of diesels but this release has really moved the bar. Have you got one ordered yet as I believe the pre-ordering is making some outlets short of allocated stock. It may be of interest to you that Rails of Sheffield are advertising it for pre-order at a tidy £266.50. A big saving on the MRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.