• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The EMT HSTs are definitely on my hit list. Is it generally a busy station at Leicester with plenty of local stoppers as I'd like to be ticking off more DMUs such as 150/153/156/158?

Here's a list of the freight (there's actaully more than I thought)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...6/14/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt
It's reasonably busy with:

3tph Meridian in each direction
1tph HST in each direction
1tph Ivanhoe Stopper -153/156/158
1tph Stopper to Birmingham - XC 170
1tph Birmingham - Stansted semi fast in each direction - XC 170

There's normally some stuff in the sidings around the station as well, including withdrawn 56s, 37s etc. And if you're lucky, withdrawn FGW HSTs.
There's also a few 170s stabled at Weekends.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Here's a list of the freight (there's actaully more than I thought)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...6/14/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt
It's reasonably busy with:

3tph Meridian in each direction
1tph HST in each direction
1tph Ivanhoe Stopper -153/156/158
1tph Stopper to Birmingham - XC 170
1tph Birmingham - Stansted semi fast in each direction - XC 170

There's normally some stuff in the sidings around the station as well, including withdrawn 56s, 37s etc. And if you're lucky, withdrawn FGW HSTs.
There's also a few 170s stabled at Weekends.

That's a decent amount of freight activity to be fair and I definitely like the idea of seeing some 37s. I will add it to the list, thanks very much

cactustwirly

Established Member
That's a decent amount of freight activity to be fair and I definitely like the idea of seeing some 37s. I will add it to the list, thanks very much

The 37s and 56s are stored ''depot" at the north end of the station.
It's probably worth getting a train towards Syston, so you can get a better view.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The EMT HSTs are definitely on my hit list. Is it generally a busy station at Leicester with plenty of local stoppers as I'd like to be ticking off more DMUs such as 150/153/156/158?

I would probably say Nottingham would be better than Leicester for EMT units

Established Member

Nottingham and Leicester for the EMT Zings. Haven't got a clue regarding times for Nantwich. Best bets to check Real Time Trains.

Cheshire Day Rangers is a canny Rover. Last time I was in those neck of the woods I had one and had a good day.

Should be a couple of 08s in Lonsight Depot too. If you go up to chester from Man Picc, when you leave Warrington you go past the back of Warrington yard, I saw about 6 66s parked up there, could only ID 4 but you could go that way and then come back via the straight route to Crewe and pass Crewe Electric Depot too.

The_Train

Established Member
Haven't got a clue regarding times for Nantwich. Best bets to check Real Time Trains.

Sorry, I meant was there better times in the day to head past the Gresty Bridge depot or is it just pot luck?

Thanks for the info regarding Warrington as well. Not going to lie I didn't even know there was a yard there

Dhassell

Sorry, I meant was there better times in the day to head past the Gresty Bridge depot or is it just pot luck?

Thanks for the info regarding Warrington as well. Not going to lie I didn't even know there was a yard there

Its pretty pot luck. There will only be a few moves in/out of the depot daily, so when passing by trains there should always be something in.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, really appreciated although I've not found much time to get out there recently so not put any of it to the test yet.

I was planning a Tamworth trip today but the old dear decided she'd like a day in Stafford and who am I to argue knowing there would be lots of freebies coming my way :D (and of course parents are not around forever so make the most of time with them is my philosophy).

I only managed a grand total of about 30 minutes on station platforms today but it wasn't a totally fruitless experience. Started by seeing the HST test train trundle over the bridge into Stoke station as I was sat in a taxi but couldn't see the numbers - not the start you want particularly as the activity at Stoke is hardly great. Anyway I did get to chalk off 153379 at Stoke (still love the noise these units make when they power up) as it made its way to Derby but there was nothing else to shout about here. My arrival at Stafford did yield an immediate success thanks to my mother's weak bladder as her toilet break allowed me to see 221121 making its journey back up to Manchester Piccadilly. That, however, was my lot as the next few hours were spent looking at clothes, shoes and anything else but trains.

After a Weatherspoons mixed grill (I would recommend the Weatherspoons in Stafford for anyone visiting - it is called The Picture House as it was an old cinema and as kept all of its charm. They also have a projector which they show sports onto a big wall above the bar and once a week in the evening they go back in time and show a movie. On top of that the food is great and the staff are extremely friendly) and a great big Sundae in a local coffee shop it was back to the station - timed to miss the immediate service back to Stoke and give myself a few extra minutes on the platforms of course. It turned out to be a manic 20 minutes as well as 66303 was being held in the old mail platform and then 66100 came trundling through to nail me 2x 66s in the space of a minute. 37218 then made a lovely appearance travelling north all by herself before 66572 made it yet another 66 success. And then came the announcement of the day as passengers on platform 5 were advised to stand well back as 'there is a yellow train passing through that doesn't stop here'. It couldn't be could it.....oh yes, the hst test train I'd glanced earlier was passing by right in front of me. A winner of winners I would say. I then finished my short time at Stafford with 221130 being ticked off and then even my train back north, 220003, proved to be a winner. Unfortunately just as I stepped onto my train 1Z31 1203 Carnforth to London Victoria passed through so I missed that but all in all not a bad return for such a short period of time.

Hoping for more action next week that will probably consist of a few hours at Stafford on Monday afternoon/evening and then a trip down to Tamworth on Wednesday to put some of the advice received above to the test

Established Member
If your stuck for missed numbers, make a request to the tops thread, in the Allocations, Diagrams and Timetables section on here.

Despite it being a day out with your Mam, not a bad haul in a small window of opportunity.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
If your stuck for missed numbers, make a request to the tops thread, in the Allocations, Diagrams and Timetables section on here.

Despite it being a day out with your Mam, not a bad haul in a small window of opportunity.

Yeah I've spotted the allocations etc part of the forum but thanks for the heads up.

Can't complain at the haul considering the short period. Could easily have been half hours worth of voyagers and 350s o_O

The_Train

Established Member
Spent another few hours at Stafford yesterday (as it suited my days plans) but with little success unfortunately. Think I've exhausted Stafford for now so will be looking to venture to different places as and when time and money allows.

The day began quite well at Stoke-on-Trent as 66165 was chalked off as it crawled into the station with the return empties from the Cliffe Vale cement run. It was a couple of 350s in the form of 371 and 128 that proved to be my first successes at Stafford and these were quickly followed by a nice bonus as DR80208 Stoneblower came trundling through (incidentally, I can't find this listed on SpotLog - does it have an alternative ID or is it not on there?). The 350 success continued as 121 was ticked off and then came a pair of 90s being propelled by already seen 90040 but being ably supported by 90028 which was most definitely required. Another pair of 90s came by but neither were needed do I decided to head into town for a stroll and to pick up some much needed luck to go with a Greggs. The luck arrived early though as needed 350267 was ticked off just as I was heading for the exit.

My return got off to a steady start as 220020 saw another Voyager unit marked off and then my 350 numbers were further boosted by the sight of 350105 before needed 66560 came by. Successes were becoming more sporadic by now but it was the 350s keeping things moving as 243 and 368 added to my successes with these being followed by a pair of Voyagers with the rear portion 221112 being required. It was around this time of the afternoon that things started to get a bit messy, whilst also keeping me interested, with a points failure south of the station and hot rails to the north. This saw some unusual routings (unusual to me anyway) as 390s that would usually go through the fast lines were being routed through platforms, it was particularly new to me to see southbound services heading through P3 which is predominantly used for northbound services. Unfortunately none of these were my only required 390 - 049 - which I am considering sticking some missing posters up for. The next hour was filled with watching the same old passenger units trundling through, the monotony only broken by a foursome of 66s that brightened up the afternoon - 597, 740, 510 & 761 all being successes.

The ongoing problems continued to throw up interesting events as 9M56 Edinburgh-Euston, usually routed through the fast lines, was held at the P3 signal and after a short period of time was opened up to allow passengers to make an unscheduled visit to Stafford as they rushed to meet a Birmingham bound 350 (RTT seems to indicate that this was because the VT service was to miss out the scheduled Birmingham stops - could be wrong though). The 350 they piled on to was also held at a red in P4 and and threw up another first for me as the following 350 service was also allowed into P4 meaning 2 trains occupied the platform for a period of time - not an unusual occurrence for units to share a platform I know, but certainly a first for me at Stafford.

Anyway, passenger units continued to fail me so it was down to the locos to drag me through the last few hours and it was 66511 and 66532 that were my next successes before I was able to mark off another of the closest living relatives to my beloved 87s in 86610. 70011 was another success as was 325015 although the other 2 units on the mail train were yet more repeats. And then, for the first time in around 2 and a half hours I was rewarded with a passenger unit success as 220023 took me to 26 of 34 220 units seen. An hour of more unneeded passenger units was broken by 90043 and then a double whammy as 350s 239 & 103 pulled in together and were soon followed by 350263 to take my tally of 350s to well over 50% seen. The day was rounded off with another 66 success as 66548 passed through and then managed more 325 success as 325004 went by (had to post a request for the other units on here as couldn't see the numbers so there may be more success hidden away).

I actually managed to get a few pics as well but as they were taken using my phone and as I'm a bad photographer at the best of times I will carefully consider whether to add them to the post or thread at a later date

Established Member
Great read there, I agree with kite. Sounded like a very good day for the book of sights indeed.
Still your roping in stuff locally and Stafford is a place where pretty much anything can turn up, normally on its way to Crewe, problems come when you clear the units but you've probably got a bit time on your hands. Good thing is your in a good spot for getting around fairly cheaply, when funds do become readily available.

The_Train

Established Member
Maybe there is a business venture there for me. Create a Platform 5 equivalent book for unusual sights at a railway station that can be ticked off as they are witnessed.

I had planned to venture off to Tamworth this afternoon but my morning plans have overrun meaning that will have to be delayed until next week. Hopefully that will prove to be productive when I finally get around to it.

The_Train

Established Member
Good thing is your in a good spot for getting around fairly cheaply, when funds do become readily available.

Yeah being in the midlands does have its upsides when it comes to getting around the country to different places. I got talking to a couple of guys from Somerset who were on a 3 day trip to the midlands and they were telling me how bad it is to get to pretty much anywhere from where they are

The_Train

Established Member
Forgot to update on my latest visit to Stafford (should any of you care :E).

My planned visit to Tamworth last Wednesday had to be cancelled as other things had to take precedent. As these other things involved being in Stafford, who was I to turn down a few hours at the station. Ironically in the few hours I was there on Wednesday, I had more successes than in the day I spent there on Monday. Funny old game isn't it?

The day started at Stoke with a bonus as 66108 came trundling through light, before 153374 running the Crewe-Derby service and 323233 arriving ex Manchester Piccadilly became my 2nd and 3rd successes. 66547 and 421 would prove to be the start of 66s galore whilst I also edged nearer to completing the 221 units with 221134 leaving me with just 4 to find. I headed into town to get my to do list completed and a enjoy a latte and cake at Little Desserts (a must try for any of you who head to Stafford and fancy a walk into town - it is on your right just as you reach the centre).

Got back to the station with the intention of hanging around for a couple of hours, and immediately continued my recent success with 350s as 350374 was chalked off. Next up was 66424 soon followed by 66503 as the 66 roadshow continued and then it was the turn of a couple of 90s as they trundled southbound through platform 3 (this caught a few of the waiting photographers off their guard) and although 90018 wasn't needed, her partner 037 most definitely was. The 66s kept rolling through with 2 more successes thanks to 060 and 118 and required 350260 sandwiched in between them (not literally of course :D). Another pair of 90s yielded a single success once again as required 90045 came through with unrequired 90041 in support and then a double whammy of 350s as 350120 and 350375 proved to be quickfire successes. I then spotted 2 guys on a 3 day trip to the midlands from the South West who I'd got chatting to on Monday so spent the next few hours chatting with them - their planned day at Nuneaton had been ruined by an incident further down the line (Hinckley I think) so they'd returned to Stafford. Was good to chat with people who'd been spotting for many years as they had much to teach me and some good stories to tell.

221135 was my next success as my required 221 units dropped to 3 needed....could today be the day to complete my first set? My run of 350s came to an end as dud 350368 arrived with a dead pigeon wedged in its rear coupler. 350247 did momentarily get me back on track but then a lull ensued for an hour with lots of repetition before 350106 got things moving again. 325008 was a pleasant surprise running the Crewe TMD runaround and then 66035 arrived with 67030 in support, with both of them being required. A mini golden period this seemed to be as 220001 took me a little bit closer to completing the 220 units before a special guest appearance from 345038 Crossrail unit on the Crewe-Rugby test. My final 3 successes were all 66s as 106 ventured through before the day was completed with a nice bit of symmetry as first 66566 came through followed not long after by 66565.

Tamworth is planned for Wednesday of this week so hopefully will have plenty more successes to report on then

Established Member
Ah Mr Train, the Railway gods are smiling on you. Enjoy it whilst you can. A trip to Crewe for a ride to Chester, to pass CE Depot, may be needed to rope in some of the 90s you won't see on the mai line but you've got a bit time for that.
Enjoy Tamworth, ain't been there for ages. Seen plenty videos on YouTube. Look forward to reading the report.
Another good read, thanks for sharing.

The_Train

Established Member
Edit: pressed the wrong button while trying to get pics uploaded :rolleyes: Me and technology are not friends

The_Train

Established Member
Stafford & Tamworth - Wednesday 4th July 2018

So after a few false starts, I finally got round to my visit to Tamworth via Stafford (of course). I'd set my stall out to focus on the high level with my targets being to get the 170s off and running and also see a 60 or two and a hst set.

The day began at Stoke-on-Trent and it would be 2 local stoppers that got me off and running as 153381 on the Crewe-Derby run and 323239 ex Manchester Piccadilly were my first successes of the day. Non-required 220001 was my traction for the journey to Stafford with my journey being made better by the sight of required 66014 at the Wagon works outside of Stoke station. Not a bad start to the day and 350257 maintained my decent start as my first success at Stafford. This was followed up by needed 66570 running the 0250 Felixstowe North FLT to Garston FLT. 68030 soon followed and became only the 4th of the 68 fleet I've been able to tick off thus far, however I have to admit I think these are fast becoming my favourite loco of the modern era. 350255 would prove to be my only other success during my short morning stint at Stafford. A trip into town was necessary before returning to board the 1155 London North Western service to London Euston to take me down the tracks to the main attraction of the day, Tamworth station. 350117 would be the first 350 unit I'd ever travelled on and I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride. The coaches feel spacious, the air con worked well and I was impressed by the pull the unit had from a standing start.

Anyway, 25 minutes later and I was in Tamworth and having spent the first few minutes getting used to the setup, I was rewarded with my first success there thanks to 66040. I met a couple of guys from the South East (never asked if they use this but in case they do, it was a pleasure to spend the day with you. Enjoy chatting to and learning from people I meet on days out) and they offered some tips about best place to be to see as much as possible so I perched myself at the top of the stairs from P2 to P3 and waited for the fun to begin. My first 170 success came soon after as 170115 arrived with 105 following up a few minutes later. Another first was next as 325012 became my first success on the low level and the high level was meeting my expectations with regards to ticking off 170s as 170103 was next before 220024 edged me ever closer to completing my first set. A triple whammy next as 3 stoppers arrived in the form of 350107, 170116 and 170523 and all were needed. 66121 and 170117 were the next to be chalked off but then came the first of a few lulls through the day with 66162 being my only success in the next 40 minutes. I also created a dilemma for myself as I found out that the elusive 390049 was running through Stafford at around 15:30 - should I end my first trip to Tamworth early to go and clear my first set?

I soldiered on (for now maybe) and the lull was ended with a 10 minute burst as first 170s 110 and 518 were knocked off and then 221124 took me to within 2 of the completion of the 221 Voyager units. 170520 completed this short burst of winners before another 40 minute lull occurred complimented by a lot of missed voyager and pendolino numbers on the low level. My chance of heading back to Stafford for missing Pendolino 049 had now come and gone so it was to be all about Tamworth for the next few hours and the latest quite period was shattered by required 66546 before winners 350124 and 170111 took my daily win rate up to 26 with still around 5 hours of the spotting day remaining. It was around this time, however, that everything slowed to a stop on the WCML with a southbound Pendolino being held in P2 and the other lines remaining unoccupied. The pendolino driver came up to chat with us as 'he'd always wanted to see what was on the high level' and it was him who told us of the fatality at Watford causing issues seemingly all the way down the WCML. The high level came to life, though, and I received a nice bonus as 57007 and 57002 came through running the 1441 Bescot Up Engineers Sdg to Toton North Yard and these were followed by 60100 on the steel train to Wolverhampton. A nice little triple and the 2nd of my targets of the day ticked off. Things were now moving on the low level once again and 66s 124 and 567 were my next winners before 170397 kept up my 170 successes. It was more 66 fun next as 66599 and 67518 made welcome appearances before my excitement levels were raised by a train despatcher (yes, you read that right). His positioning was different for the 1S51 1225 Plymouth to Glasgow Central, almost as though he knew this was a longer train than the Voyagers and this could mean only one thing couldn't? Giving up the chance to see my final Pendolino was made worthwhile by the appearance of the beauty that is a hst set and suddenly, as 43304 and 43303 appeared into the station, I was taken back to being a 10 year old kid loving the era of spotting in the 1990s. After this it really didn't matter that I only managed 1 winner in the form of 170106 during my final hour at Tamworth, nor did it matter that my train back to Stafford was 50 minutes late because I'd enjoyed that buzz of excitement at the sight of a marvel of engineering. And almost as though Tamworth wanted to say a fond farewell to me, it was winner 350250 that took me back up the line to Stafford.

I had earmarked the 2003 train back north so that left me approx 90 minutes to finish the day with a few successes at Stafford. These started immediately thanks to 220012 and 350254 was not far behind as my numbers of 350 units continued to slowly creep up. Another Voyager success next as 220021 took me to within 4 of completing these units. The race was really on between the Pendolinos and the Voyagers to be my first complete set. There was a nice surprise as the day drew to a close, with 323216 making a guest appearance before 350259 and 350252 took my tally of 350s to 61 seen. It had been a good day, all targets hit and plenty of winners marked off and with just 15 minutes of time left before my train home arrived it was confirmed as the perfect day. The issues around Watford earlier in the day had seen changes to services and more importantly (for me anyway) changes to which unit ran which service and with the sun still shining down on Stafford station it came like a bolt out of the blue as 390049 came flying through the fast lines to finally, after weeks of searching and thinking I was missing a chance earlier in the day, complete my 390 set. Dud 221120 was my Voyager for the journey home but all in all it had been a successful day out finished off very nicely.

My stats
Successes today: 45
Completed sets today: 390 Pendolino
My day rating: 5/5 (couldn't be anything less)

Tamworth stats
Tamworth rating: 3/5 (good day out but too many periods of inactivity and missing numbers on the low level)
What classes you can expect to see: 43, 57, 60, 66, 70, 86, 90, 170, 220, 221, 350 & 390
Facilities: Shop, Coffee Shop, Toilets (all on P1) and I never tried it but there is a domino's just outside of the station

Last edited:

Established Member
Glad you had a successful day at Tamworth. Congrats on clearing the pendos.
Glad to hear another convert to the Cat (68's)fan club. Totally agree with the Cats being the best modern loco on the rails.
Where to next, no doubt a trip to Gresty Bridge open day, will certainly procure you more 68s. Should be plenty of them there.

Far north 37

Established Member
Sounds like a good day out, the 57/0s have always evaded me good to see there still out and about.

The_Train

Established Member
Glad you had a successful day at Tamworth. Congrats on clearing the pendos.
Glad to hear another convert to the Cat (68's)fan club. Totally agree with the Cats being the best modern loco on the rails.
Where to next, no doubt a trip to Gresty Bridge open day, will certainly procure you more 68s. Should be plenty of them there.

I felt something good about the 68s as soon as I first witnessed one. Something about the noise they make and the feel of them as they thunder through a platform, just reminds me of the classic locos from my younger days. And not to forget they look really good as well.

Gresty Bridge is certainly an option. I think I've asked this before but are you able to pay on the day there?

As for stations next on the agenda, Crewe remains an option (if for no other reason than for old times sake) maybe with a couple of the recommended short jaunts out on the Shrewsbury and Chester lines to see what is in the yards. Nuneaton is also somewhere I've earmarked although I've obtained mixed reviews from folk I've met. My first 'distance' run will be Reading as I've been doing some playing around with tickets and splitting can bring the cost right down. Hopefully get down there before the end of summer.

The_Train

Established Member
Sounds like a good day out, the 57/0s have always evaded me good to see there still out and about.

Yeah they were a nice addition to the day. Not sure if that is a regular movement for them or not but its always nice to get something that you didn't expect to see when you're out and about

The_Train

Established Member
I also have a batch of photos (albeit only taken off my phone camera and by me, a terrible photographer) from the day. If someone can advise how to get these uploaded on to here, I will happily add them.

I also have a report from Stafford having spent a bit of time there on Friday. I'd conveniently arranged appointments there for 10am and 3pm so I could have some time on the platforms in between. I will get these details posted later as it was quite an interesting few hours

Kite159

Veteran Member
An excellent day at Tam-Tamworth it sounded like

I believe the Open Day at Crewe is indeed a Pay on the Day event.

Easiest way is to upload the pictures onto Flickr, then you can title them which makes it easier to find in the future (for both you and for others)

The_Train

Established Member
An excellent day at Tam-Tamworth it sounded like

I believe the Open Day at Crewe is indeed a Pay on the Day event.

Easiest way is to upload the pictures onto Flickr, then you can title them which makes it easier to find in the future (for both you and for others)

Thanks Kite, I did set up a Flickr account so I will have a play around with it later and hopefully get some posted on here

The_Train

Established Member
Still struggling to get photos to show up in a post. Tried using Flickr and photobucket to no avail. If anyone can tell me where I'm likely to be going wrong it would be much appreciated :)

Established Member
To put photos into your postings from Flickr you need to do it this way:

Click on the photo you want in photostream, look below it to the right and there are a series of icons, the second one being an arrow that points to the right.
Left click on that and a box comes up; select "BB Code".
At the bottom is a drop-down list of sizes (I use medium 640x480).
An address appears above this.
Then, just copy that and paste it into the appropriate place in your report.

Hope that's reasonably clear, although I'm not sure I've described it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.