• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

433N

I think that the fact I failed to nail all of the Northern ones has made me all the more determined to get the Welsh ones.

I'm amused by the range of locations of my needed ones.

One is still running around, a couple have gone for scrap, a couple are sitting at Heaton, a couple are at Gascoigne Wood, a couple are being preserved and one is at a police training college in Wales.

I would have been sick of the sight of them (and Manchester) if I'd gone seriously chasing them and don't imagine it would have been fun in the end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
I've been keeping well, being kept busy revisiting some stations for photographs, i.e. the ones first visited in 2015/2016 time when I didn't take pictures. Gives me something to do when the new stock carries on arriving (and if I get any mileage requirements then happy days).

(Mileage hunting has taken a bit of a back-seat as I've got the majority of the stock being replaced [only missed out on one pacer])

Not bad going with the Pacers. Guessing the one that you missed has been scrapped?

Love how you keep coming up with ways to keep things interesting for yourself. Just shows how this hobby can be as expansive as you want it to be

The_Train

Established Member
I'm amused by the range of locations of my needed ones.

One is still running around, a couple have gone for scrap, a couple are sitting at Heaton, a couple are at Gascoigne Wood, a couple are being preserved and one is at a police training college in Wales.

I would have been sick of the sight of them (and Manchester) if I'd gone seriously chasing them and don't imagine it would have been fun in the end.

Yeah I must admit that I got a bit bored of the Northern area at the back end of last year after I'd made use of those £10 ranger tickets. So much so that when their latest newspaper offer came out, I avoided it like the plague (or coronavirus to be more up to date).

I think that the one that's being used for police training is based at an old rugby club and is visible if you fancy going all that way for it ;)

The Gascoigne Wood ones are either pending purchase for preservation or consigned to make their final journey to the cutting torch unfortunately. Be a good reason to visit some new heritage lines if they end up in preservation though

Far north 37

Established Member
Another fine read how many 66s have you got left to find now in regards to 66522 i seen a driver say on another forum all numbers have to be visible on the locomotive when working the rhtt not a job i would fancy doing.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not bad going with the Pacers. Guessing the one that you missed has been scrapped?

Love how you keep coming up with ways to keep things interesting for yourself. Just shows how this hobby can be as expansive as you want it to be

It's currently on the rugby pitches near Bridgend for a police training unit (033).

Sadly it was either hiding away in a depot or in the other end of the country when I was in Northern land. But I know I won't get everything BR era over ten miles.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Mr Train. An unusual working for you although I have no idea about haulage. The Tesco train from from Wentloog (Freightliners) to Daventry next Sunday evening which normally passes my local station but is being diverted all through Wales to Shrewswbury then Crewe to Stafford due 2050 platform 4. I saw the train yesterday evening at Five Ways which is most unusual because freight does not move through Birmingham New Street. The train's normal route is via the Stourbridge lines and then running around Birmingham to Stetchford to head to the WCML. The need for the diversion is the closure of the Stourbridge line every Sunday for work on the Old Hill tunnel.

The_Train

Established Member
Another fine read how many 66s have you got left to find now in regards to 66522 i seen a driver say on another forum all numbers have to be visible on the locomotive when working the rhtt not a job i would fancy doing.

I will get back to you on the number of 66s I need as I'm in the process of revising my database (for the millionth time) and my figures for the 66s are all over the place until I sort my formulae out. I find that the totals of 66s vary from app to app.

As for the numbers on locos, is there not a need to have the numbers visible on all workings? I remember seeing a few Voyagers when Virgin had given up cleaning them with the numbers having clearly been cleaned up. Does make me laugh seeing ex RHTT locos though, the hand car wash around the corner from me would definitely be adding surcharges for the extra dirt ;)

The_Train

Established Member
Mr Train. An unusual working for you although I have no idea about haulage. The Tesco train from from Wentloog (Freightliners) to Daventry next Sunday evening which normally passes my local station but is being diverted all through Wales to Shrewswbury then Crewe to Stafford due 2050 platform 4. I saw the train yesterday evening at Five Ways which is most unusual because freight does not move through Birmingham New Street. The train's normal route is via the Stourbridge lines and then running around Birmingham to Stetchford to head to the WCML. The need for the diversion is the closure of the Stourbridge line every Sunday for work on the Old Hill tunnel.

David, apologies sir, I've only just seen this post so unfortunately missed that working. It would indeed have been a new working for the local - quite the divert for the working! Did it add a hefty amount of time to the trains journey?

The_Train

Established Member
I still have a few reports to catch up with which I'm hoping to get around to in the coming days but I'm also plotting an outing to the diesel gala at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough line at the end of March. I've priced the journey from Stafford to Princes Risborough using XC to Banbury/Oxford and changing there and also with a change at New Street/Moor Street and both of these are pretty much the same price wise.

Are there any other routes I could consider that might offer a saving that anyone knows of?

xotGD

Established Member
I still have a few reports to catch up with which I'm hoping to get around to in the coming days but I'm also plotting an outing to the diesel gala at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough line at the end of March. I've priced the journey from Stafford to Princes Risborough using XC to Banbury/Oxford and changing there and also with a change at New Street/Moor Street and both of these are pretty much the same price wise.

Are there any other routes I could consider that might offer a saving that anyone knows of?
Have you checked going in and out of London? Or somewhere close on the WCML for a bus?

The_Train

Established Member
It's currently on the rugby pitches near Bridgend for a police training unit (033).

Sadly it was either hiding away in a depot or in the other end of the country when I was in Northern land. But I know I won't get everything BR era over ten miles.

Ohhhhh it's that one. Probably going to be difficult to get any mileage from it now :/

The_Train

Established Member
Another fine read how many 66s have you got left to find now

I've now corrected my database and if my details are correct, I've seen 329 from 389 that are currently registered on the UK mainline (this includes the 3 that GBRf brought across from Scandinavia as well as the one that has, up until recently, been perched on blocks at Longport - although that figure of how many 66s exist in the UK seems to vary dependent on where you look).

The_Train

Established Member
Have you checked going in and out of London? Or somewhere close on the WCML for a bus?

I'd not checked in and out of London to be honest. I will throw that into trainsplit and see what it throws back at me but I may have to accept that it's going to be in excess of £50 if I want to go to the gala. I had thought of driving but after fuel and parking it probably won't be too much different to the train prices - plus I see the train journey as a part of any day out

DavidGrain

Established Member
David, apologies sir, I've only just seen this post so unfortunately missed that working. It would indeed have been a new working for the local - quite the divert for the working! Did it add a hefty amount of time to the trains journey?

Actually, I have just checked RTT for that day and the train left Wentloog at 1909 137 minutes late. It was not reported anywhere from Newport to Rugby and arrived at Daventry at 2235 35 minutes late. This implies to me that the train was diverted, not working as scheduled so did not come your way after all. The normal working of the train is depart Wentlood 1706 arrive Daventry 2124

DavidGrain

Established Member
I'd not checked in and out of London to be honest. I will throw that into trainsplit and see what it throws back at me but I may have to accept that it's going to be in excess of £50 if I want to go to the gala. I had thought of driving but after fuel and parking it probably won't be too much different to the train prices - plus I see the train journey as a part of any day out

I think that going via London will not help you as it will add too much time to your journey. The direct route for you would be best XC to Banbury (there is a through train from Stafford every hour or change at New Street on the other half hour) Then a Chiltern stopper to Princes Risbro'. There may be an alternative by walking from New Street to Moor Street and get a Chiltern from there (not sure if you would still have to change at Banbury)

The_Train

Established Member
I think that going via London will not help you as it will add too much time to your journey. The direct route for you would be best XC to Banbury (there is a through train from Stafford every hour or change at New Street on the other half hour) Then a Chiltern stopper to Princes Risbro'. There may be an alternative by walking from New Street to Moor Street and get a Chiltern from there (not sure if you would still have to change at Banbury)

Yeah those 2 routes you mention are the ones I've already earmarked as the most likely. You make a good point about the journey time though as obviously I want to be at Princes Risborough for the first (heritage) train of the day from there to maximise my time at the gala. The New Street/Moor Street option is (I think) around £5 cheaper but I think I'd rather pay the fiver than have to walk between the 2 stations on a Friday evening :D

DavidGrain

Established Member
Yeah those 2 routes you mention are the ones I've already earmarked as the most likely. You make a good point about the journey time though as obviously I want to be at Princes Risborough for the first (heritage) train of the day from there to maximise my time at the gala. The New Street/Moor Street option is (I think) around £5 cheaper but I think I'd rather pay the fiver than have to walk between the 2 stations on a Friday evening :D

Yes just before Christmas I was travelling from Oxford to Birmingham and my cheapest fare was not direct but to change trains at Banbury from XC to Chiltern.

The_Train

Established Member
I'm off to Mersey land again on Thursday and as @Techniquest told me off for wasting my Saveaway ticket last time ( ;) ), I plan to make better use of it this time around. So which depots should I be looking to have a ride past and is there a realistic chance of seeing numbers on any units that are parked up?

palmersears

Established Member
Kirkdale and Birkenhead are the two main depots.

The former you can see on your left as you pull into Kirkdale station, often a fee units on the roads nearest the mainline which should be identifiable. Views into the shed also available from the top of the station if you have binoculars. Might even see 777003 being shunted around if you're lucky.

Birkenhead is on your right just after leaving Birkenhead North. On a slight curve, and stuff in the sheds isn't all that viewable, but there are usually a good few units parked up on the roads outside.

The_Train

Established Member
Kirkdale and Birkenhead are the two main depots.

The former you can see on your left as you pull into Kirkdale station, often a fee units on the roads nearest the mainline which should be identifiable. Views into the shed also available from the top of the station if you have binoculars. Might even see 777003 being shunted around if you're lucky.

Birkenhead is on your right just after leaving Birkenhead North. On a slight curve, and stuff in the sheds isn't all that viewable, but there are usually a good few units parked up on the roads outside.

Thanks mate :)

Just after runcorn theirs ditton on the left could be a few 66s parked up there, also theirs halewood should be some 66s there as well parked up plus an 08 in the yard. If I was u I would get off at liverpool south Parkway get the xx10 to oxford road then u will go past allerton get off at hunts cross for merseyrail back. A all zone saveaway will allow travel to Chester but by merseyrail only if u have time. hope this helps a bit with your day on Merseyside.

The_Train

Established Member
Just after runcorn theirs ditton on the left could be a few 66s parked up there, also theirs halewood should be some 66s there as well parked up plus an 08 in the yard. If I was u I would get off at liverpool south Parkway get the xx10 to oxford road then u will go past allerton get off at hunts cross for merseyrail back. A all zone saveaway will allow travel to Chester but by merseyrail only if u have time. hope this helps a bit with your day on Merseyside.

Thanks mate. I'm restricted to specific trains as this outing is part of the 10p Northern offer but will be getting a saveaway for merseyrail so hoping to get about a bit on that. Not sure I'll have time for Chester though unfortunately - main aim is to get the 50x units ticked off

I usually just park me self on sandhills for the northern line or lime Street for the wirral line. Their could be one parked up at either new Brighton or west kirkby but it's a bit hit and miss if anything is there though.

The_Train

Established Member
I usually just park me self on sandhills for the northern line or lime Street for the wirral line. Their could be one parked up at either new Brighton or west kirkby but it's a bit hit and miss if anything is there though.

I've tended to do the same (although I move to Central for the Wirral) in the past but fancy a bit of a run on a few of the units tomorrow considering they won't be around forever :)

I need 14 507s and 11 508s for haulage, I lost my books years ago so when I joined trainlogger I had to start all over again. I should be ok to get the rest hopefully before the 777s start.

xotGD

Established Member
I hope the day will feature some TPE 68 action. Can't have you spending your entire time on worn-out old EMUs!

Skymonster

Established Member
I'm off to Mersey land again on Thursday and as @Techniquest told me off for wasting my Saveaway ticket last time ( ;) ), I plan to make better use of it this time around. So which depots should I be looking to have a ride past and is there a realistic chance of seeing numbers on any units that are parked up?
Enjoy your day out on Merseyside Mr. @The_Train. The depot situation has already been well explained - a quick ride out to Kirkdale (from Sandhills) and a trip to a station beyond Birkenhead North will provide you with views of both. It might be worth going out at Kirkdale and walking down to Bank Hall - the main road at the far end of the depot used to afford a few views that might reveal a number not obtainable at the station.

During the offpeak units can have extended lurks at Southport (several) and New Brighton (probably only one) but whether its worth taking the time to go out to either depends on how you are doing with your sightings - the latter is a rather lengthy trip while the latter is more justifiable if you've already get as far as the depot at Birkenhead. Anyway, if you are missing some having spent time on the Northern and Wirral lines and you've also been past both depots, those two stations could well be where they will be. I did the Merseyside Overground and Underground Explorer special a few weeks ago on a Saturday and without really trying I got my Merseyrail units from just one seen to 14 required. I need to go back to get the rest sometime - I prefer Birkenhead Hamilton Square to cover the Wirral lines although it does entail swapping between the platforms occasionally!

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Oh, and for what its worth I understand that there are now a small number of units that are very high on mileage and only come out to play if really needed (508134 being one, which might even be withdrawn at Kirkdale to all intents and purposes) so the depots could be important depending on what your sighting needs are.

87electric

508134 has been the first withdrawal and is at New Brighton. Info from latest RAIL magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.