• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
I do hope she tries it when were out on the KWVR next week
Which day are you planning on going? I'm aiming to be there on Friday.

If any colleagues ask what I'm planning to di on my day off "I'm meeting up with a couple of old friends from Scotland" Mr & Mrs MacRat, to be precise!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87electric

60093 is actually in full view in the photo (white faded EWS and number). It is 2 away from blue 60078.

The_Train

Established Member
Toton & Water Orton - Wednesday 25th August 2021
Part 2 - All the 170s.....well, nearly all of them!!!

After departing Toton, we enjoyed a steady drive across the Midlands during which I found out that the whole @47403 getting his other half into trains is actually a 2 way thing and he is scheduled to be taught some dancing in the not too distant future in return for the flailing practice! The car journey came and went very quickly and we were soon pulling into the car park at Water Orton, with us all being left surprised that it was a free car park. We ventured down the steep stairway and onto the island platform where we joined a good number of other spotters already there and no sooner had I put my bag down, Mickey was pointing out the first freight of the afternoon as 66747 popped by with a Birch Coppice to London Gateway working
20210825_140712.jpg

It became a bit of a shed fest with us seeing 66562, 66194, 66732 and 66703 in the space of around 15 minutes
20210825_141946.jpg

None of those sheds impacted my book of sights unfortunately but it was an impressive start for a new location for me. I did comment to Mickey that I hoped we'd get a bit more variety than just sheds all day - the railway gods were clearly listening! A few 170s came by, along with a steady stream of Voyagers which were suitably ignored before 60066, looking great in it's Drax livery, working 6E08 Wolverhampton Steel to Immingham. Not one for the sights book but one I'd not seen since early 2019 and one requiring a photo for the collection!
20210825_144130.jpg

You also get to see the Big Chief at the end of the platform here - he was basically our alarm for any approaching trains. If he was up, the rest of us were up :D After dud DB sheds 66093 and 66095 and many a 170 - none of which moved Mickey closer to that class clearing claxon - had passed through, Mickey decided that the huge breakfast the pair of them told me about that they'd had in the morning was now wearing off and he needed some sustenance to help him through to the end of the day. And so his partner kindly ventured off to fetch them both some food, offering to fetch me some as well I should add but I was happy to settle for my home made ham sandwiches! Not long after his other half had departed, Mickey was eagle eyed to spot the sudden activity on the platform with the spotters shuffling around to get the best position for the next working. A check on RTT showed it to be a Bescot to Toton move and I was quick to dismiss the platform buzz because "surely it would only be another shed" but Mickey was adamant to prepare for this and it was incredibly lucky that he was so adamant about this being something good when he yelled 37 at me - and not only was it a 37, it was 37425 which had avoided me ever since it was repainted into Regional Railways
VideoCapture_20210825-201159.jpg

Not a winner for me overall as I'd seen it before it changed look but certainly a winner in this livery and not only was the sight of a 37 in such an iconic livery a sight to behold, the driver played up to his audience with tones and plenty of growl. A classic loco, in a classic livery and in fine fettle - here's my YT video of it in all it's glory

And if that wasn't enough for us, just minutes later we were blessed with more classic traction as 56049 passed through, albeit a tad slowly as the driver faced a red light - which someone once said spells danger - with a rake of RHTT wagons from York Thrall to Coleham at Shrewsbury in preparation for the Autumn/Winter period that is creeping up on us
VideoCapture_20210902-193928.jpg

Following the coming of the 37, Mickey had begun to feel a lot guilty about his other half having missed a "puppy dog" after she had gone off to enable him to be fed. I offered plenty of reassurance that we didn't know it was coming to put his mind at ease and continued to support him upon his partner's return when he asked me the question of us not knowing about it coming and my response being something along the lines of "well that's what you've told me to say" :D He was still well fed though and while we were all feeding our faces (I even got a surprise donut which I was extremely thankful for), a very orange looking 66623 came by with a rake of hoppers and this was followed by our first HST sighting of the day as 43357 and 4 worked 1S51 Plymouth to Edinburgh
20210825_161320.jpg

20210825_161326.jpg

The winners had dried up although 70019 was sighted for the first time since 2019 when it was laid up at Midland Road and 66558 came by, although this has hit the book on multiple occasions. But not long after these we got more 70 action but this time from the Colas variety as 70803 lead an engineers train through running from Westbury to Cliffe Hill Stud Farm
VideoCapture_20210902-193952.jpg

803 wasn't really of interest to me but it wasn't alone, which nearly caught out Big Chief who you will see heading away from the train having got his shot in the pic above - what this picture doesn't show is his mad dash back across the platform to be able to get a shot of 70817 which was on the rear and which is a definite winner for me! Dud 66769 came through before we got a bit more HST action with 43239 and 43303, my first sighting of the former since it transferred to XC
VideoCapture_20210902-194031.jpg

A final shed came and went in the shape of 66557 but there was no sign of the missing 170s that would have got that class clearing klaxon going for Mickey. We did, however, get one final opportunity to boost the winner numbers as DR76901 came by with DR76919, DR76920, DR76921, DR76922 & DR76923 running from Kings Norton On Track Plant Depot to Queens Park in there that London.

But that would prove to be our lot after what had been a superb outing, with great company and plenty of laughs. Mickey was keen to wait to see me onto the train but with 20 mins of little action I told them to get going considering they had a very lengthy journey back up to the North East to make. So we bid each other a farewell and I settled in for the short wait for my 1st train home whilst those pair dived into the car and began that journey north. 170637, dud for all, was my steed for the short hop to Tamworth and it was standing room only as people slowly return to the rails. We arrived into Tamworth bang on time and this allowed a swift connection onto 350117 and 350247, both of which were also duds for everything but they did at least carry me home to bring to a close a fantastic day!

Full stats for the day:

For Sight

Winners: 33
Coaching Stock Winners: 1
Tram Winners: 1
Classes completed: N/A
Sub classes completed: N/A
TOCs completed: N/A

For Haulage

Winners: 2
Total Mileage: 95 miles 32 chains

The_Train

Established Member
60093 is actually in full view in the photo (white faded EWS and number). It is 2 away from blue 60078.
Judging by photo's on Flickr, @87electric appears to be correct @47403 o_O
There was one down there that I just couldn't read the number from so it must have been this one as I looked along that row multiple times and from different angles. Must have had the bino's the wrong way around :s:oops: Strange that the workman who walked the length of the loco's didn't see it though

Established Member
Oh wow. Cheers young sir. That certainly counts now.:D:D:Dgiphy-26.gif
Judging by photo's on Flickr, @87electric appears to be correct @47403 o_O
There was one down there that I just couldn't read the number from so it must have been this one as I looked along that row multiple times and from different angles. Must have had the bino's the wrong way around :s:oops: Strange that the workman who walked the length of the loco's didn't see

Attachments

• elf-excited.gif
    elf-excited.gif
    193.9 KB · Views: 6

Established Member
Toton & Water Orton - Wednesday 25th August 2021
Part 2 - All the 170s.....well, nearly all of them!!!

After departing Toton, we enjoyed a steady drive across the Midlands during which I found out that the whole @47403 getting his other half into trains is actually a 2 way thing and he is scheduled to be taught some dancing in the not too distant future in return for the flailing practice! The car journey came and went very quickly and we were soon pulling into the car park at Water Orton, with us all being left surprised that it was a free car park. We ventured down the steep stairway and onto the island platform where we joined a good number of other spotters already there and no sooner had I put my bag down, Mickey was pointing out the first freight of the afternoon as 66747 popped by with a Birch Coppice to London Gateway working
View attachment 102139

It became a bit of a shed fest with us seeing 66562, 66194, 66732 and 66703 in the space of around 15 minutes
View attachment 102140

None of those sheds impacted my book of sights unfortunately but it was an impressive start for a new location for me. I did comment to Mickey that I hoped we'd get a bit more variety than just sheds all day - the railway gods were clearly listening! A few 170s came by, along with a steady stream of Voyagers which were suitably ignored before 60066, looking great in it's Drax livery, working 6E08 Wolverhampton Steel to Immingham. Not one for the sights book but one I'd not seen since early 2019 and one requiring a photo for the collection!
View attachment 102142

You also get to see the Big Chief at the end of the platform here - he was basically our alarm for any approaching trains. If he was up, the rest of us were up :D After dud DB sheds 66093 and 66095 and many a 170 - none of which moved Mickey closer to that class clearing claxon - had passed through, Mickey decided that the huge breakfast the pair of them told me about that they'd had in the morning was now wearing off and he needed some sustenance to help him through to the end of the day. And so his partner kindly ventured off to fetch them both some food, offering to fetch me some as well I should add but I was happy to settle for my home made ham sandwiches! Not long after his other half had departed, Mickey was eagle eyed to spot the sudden activity on the platform with the spotters shuffling around to get the best position for the next working. A check on RTT showed it to be a Bescot to Toton move and I was quick to dismiss the platform buzz because "surely it would only be another shed" but Mickey was adamant to prepare for this and it was incredibly lucky that he was so adamant about this being something good when he yelled 37 at me - and not only was it a 37, it was 37425 which had avoided me ever since it was repainted into Regional Railways
View attachment 102144

Not a winner for me overall as I'd seen it before it changed look but certainly a winner in this livery and not only was the sight of a 37 in such an iconic livery a sight to behold, the driver played up to his audience with tones and plenty of growl. A classic loco, in a classic livery and in fine fettle - here's my YT video of it in all it's glory

And if that wasn't enough for us, just minutes later we were blessed with more classic traction as 56049 passed through, albeit a tad slowly as the driver faced a red light - which someone once said spells danger - with a rake of RHTT wagons from York Thrall to Coleham at Shrewsbury in preparation for the Autumn/Winter period that is creeping up on us
View attachment 102146

Following the coming of the 37, Mickey had begun to feel a lot guilty about his other half having missed a "puppy dog" after she had gone off to enable him to be fed. I offered plenty of reassurance that we didn't know it was coming to put his mind at ease and continued to support him upon his partner's return when he asked me the question of us not knowing about it coming and my response being something along the lines of "well that's what you've told me to say" :D He was still well fed though and while we were all feeding our faces (I even got a surprise donut which I was extremely thankful for), a very orange looking 66623 came by with a rake of hoppers and this was followed by our first HST sighting of the day as 43357 and 4 worked 1S51 Plymouth to Edinburgh
View attachment 102147

View attachment 102148

The winners had dried up although 70019 was sighted for the first time since 2019 when it was laid up at Midland Road and 66558 came by, although this has hit the book on multiple occasions. But not long after these we got more 70 action but this time from the Colas variety as 70803 lead an engineers train through running from Westbury to Cliffe Hill Stud Farm
View attachment 102149

803 wasn't really of interest to me but it wasn't alone, which nearly caught out Big Chief who you will see heading away from the train having got his shot in the pic above - what this picture doesn't show is his mad dash back across the platform to be able to get a shot of 70817 which was on the rear and which is a definite winner for me! Dud 66769 came through before we got a bit more HST action with 43239 and 43303, my first sighting of the former since it transferred to XC
View attachment 102150

A final shed came and went in the shape of 66557 but there was no sign of the missing 170s that would have got that class clearing klaxon going for Mickey. We did, however, get one final opportunity to boost the winner numbers as DR76901 came by with DR76919, DR76920, DR76921, DR76922 & DR76923 running from Kings Norton On Track Plant Depot to Queens Park in there that London.

But that would prove to be our lot after what had been a superb outing, with great company and plenty of laughs. Mickey was keen to wait to see me onto the train but with 20 mins of little action I told them to get going considering they had a very lengthy journey back up to the North East to make. So we bid each other a farewell and I settled in for the short wait for my 1st train home whilst those pair dived into the car and began that journey north. 170637, dud for all, was my steed for the short hop to Tamworth and it was standing room only as people slowly return to the rails. We arrived into Tamworth bang on time and this allowed a swift connection onto 350117 and 350247, both of which were also duds for everything but they did at least carry me home to bring to a close a fantastic day!

Full stats for the day:

For Sight

Winners: 33
Coaching Stock Winners: 1
Tram Winners: 1
TOCs completed: N/A

For Haulage

Winners: 2
Total Mileage: 95 miles 32 chains
Cracking write up, myself and the other were laughing our head off. Though I expected to read, oh heres your 170, then you laughing and saying oh no, it's not. Not to mention the hilliarity when 170102, 170109 and 170111 came through, seeing as I was after 101 and 110. Just good banter taken all in good fun.
Dancing lessons, I forgot about that. :lol:
I told Matt I was doing Tap Dancing lessons, his face was a picture. Told him, I had to do lessons cos I keep falling off the draining board. I got a look of total disgust for how bad that joke was.

The_Train

Established Member
Let's have another look at this then :D

Hunting Something Wild - Friday 27th May 2022

After a recent change to shift patterns at work, I now enjoy a half day off every week (work from home as well) and back at the end of May this coincided with a Friday afternoon, and a very sunny Friday afternoon at that! I had not planned anything but I somehow found myself at Stafford armed with a West Midlands Day Ranger awaiting dud 350250 for a short hop down the Trent Valley

350250 1U30 1233 CRE-EUS.jpg

Remarkably, considering its close proximity to me, I had never visited Lichfield Trent Valley having passed through it many times and so I thought I would take this opportunity to visit and to also enjoy a bit of Class 323 action on the Cross City route. It was all slightly different on this day with the high level platform out of action with the bridge deemed unsafe and so I was directed across the large car park outside platform 2 to a waiting minibus/van with seats. The bus filled and we were soon on our way, weaving our way around the streets of Lichfield until we arrived at........Lichfield Trent Valley platform 1. Yes, that's right because of the unsafe bridge, there was a need to provide road transport from one platform to the other :lol: Not sure why they couldn't have gone from Trent Valley P2 to City direct but eh ho, it was off this minibus/van with seats onto another minibus/van with seats and eventually we made the dash across to Lichfield City for my first ever visit here as well
323215 2O35 1343 LIC-BMV.jpg

It was also a winner for haulage in the shape of 323215 for the full run (or as full as could be that day) to Bromsgrove and the beauty of these runs is the 6 car trains so I could make use of the same set and just switch to the other unit to claim a 2nd winner in the shape of 323221 for a run back to New Street. This area doesn't throw up much in the way of winners for sight these days, but I did nobble DR79401 and DR79404 for sight whilst they were sat at Kings Norton. No need for any dash around New Street as my next service had been re-routed into the same platform I arrived at - clearly New Street signallers understanding my standing in the rail community :D It was more 323 action next as 323241 became the next winner for the run to Four Oaks, followed by 323240 for the return run to New Street
323241 2R44 1616 FOK-RDC.jpg 323240 2U38 1502 RDC-FOK.jpg

I didn't hang around New Street for too long, instead choosing to head to Coventry on dud 220034 to take this Voyager above the 50 mile mark.
Not a great deal happening at Coventry, just the usual plethora of XC, AWC and LNWR units and so I was soon on the move again, annoyingly via a Class 172 but it was at least a haulage winner with 172331taking me the short way down to Leamington Spa. After a very slow trundle down to Leamington where chaos had seemingly taken over
20220527_180612.jpg
On the right hand side of the photo is 168003, a winner for sight, along with 172331 which had dropped me off and 165008 in the bay. The issue was seemingly with 168003 which remained locked out when I got over to the platform, with hoards of passengers on the platform. A quick check on RTT showed it had arrived Leamington extremely late and I am not sure if it was a fault or it was terminated to get the unit back on schedule but it soon moved off to the turnback at the north of the station. Thankfully, there were a number of Birmingham bound trains ahead of mine and what I had hoped would happen did with everyone cramming onto the first available trains even though there were at least 3 queuing outside the station at one point. This episode did delay my departure from Leamington but it did allow me to 165023 and 168325 for sight whilst I waited and also to see a unit in platform 1 as 168002 was returned back to the station and shut down, a first for me at Leamington and then 165035 also arrived into the Leamington sunshine to make it a quickfire hat-trick of winners for sight.
165035 2R46 1621 MYB-BMO.jpg

I am sure by this point that you have been able to establish why someone with a West Midlands Day Ranger would have ventured down to Leamington Spa in the early evening and you will not be disappointed to learn that this was to be my next haulage
68015 1K50 1714 MYB-KID (1).jpg

Yes 68015, for the 4th time, hauled me northbound, clearing 150 miles in the process and of course I took my seat in the front coach to enjoy the noises of this wild cat and my goodness it did not let me down, particularly through the Snow Hill tunnels!

Things took a bit of a nosedive at Kidderminster though and having experienced a slightly strange start at Lichfield, the ending was going to be even more bizarre. Having switched platforms and grabbed another pic of the 68, I was accosted by a very aggressive individual who seemed incredibly agitated by the train I had just got off - wanting to know in particular "what is it doing?". I didn't think a detailed answer of the process of taking a train out of service was what the guy was looking for and so I simply advised him that I didn't know but it was nothing to be worried about and moved away from him. Unfortunately, every person entering the platform was faced with abuse or questioning from the individual and having taken a seat in the shelter, it was only when I heard another passenger on the help point requesting police assistance that I realised he had now taken seat on the edge of the platform with our train approaching. Another passenger was already awaiting the train and with the slow arrival with it having come out of the sidings, the driver was able to stop well short of the individual. You'd think that would have been the end to it, but no, the guy was off the platform and decided to lie himself down in front of the train and that is where he remained until the police turned up and managed to get him off the tracks and into their car. Thankfully and with great credit being deserved, the driver was able to keep the train in service and I'm glad he did as it was winner 172001,also a winner for sight, that took me to Smethwick Galton Bridge along with 172002. After my usual "how the hell do I find the platform I want" drama at a sun-kissed Smethwick, I was on to 350243 for a jaunt on the Wolverhampton stopper and that's another haulage winner and a pleasant one at that as I have a little focus on the 350/2 fleet to tick everything off before they finally go off lease!
350243 2W58 2040 BHM-WVH.jpg
It was just a brief wait at Wolverhampton for dud 221134, although the journey to Stafford did take it into the 50 miles club and as a final thing to conclude a day of strange and different occurrences, we arrived platform 6 at Stafford - believe it or not, I think that is actually a first for me :lol: And the final act went to the Skoda fleet as 90041 and 90014 tried to catch me out as they passed through with a southbound Freightliner
221134.jpg 90041 & 90014.jpg

And with that, the day was finished and a decent, albeit strange, WMDR was completed:

• 7 Winners for Sight
  • 7 Winners for Haulage
And the following stats for the day:

xotGD

Established Member
A Cat through the tunnel from Moor Street to Snow Hill is always entertaining.

Good to see you back reporting your moves and sightings!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A mighty big welcome back from me too! :D It's not been the same without you on this part of the forum good sir, and what a crazy day you had there! o_O

Working from home? What's that like?

The_Train

Established Member
Welcome back.
Thank you good sir :)
A Cat through the tunnel from Moor Street to Snow Hill is always entertaining.

Good to see you back reporting your moves and sightings!
It is indeed, always a nice way to bring a West Mids Day Ranger to a close
Welcome back :)
Thanks Kite :)
A mighty big welcome back from me too! :D It's not been the same without you on this part of the forum good sir, and what a crazy day you had there! o_O

Working from home? What's that like?
That's very kind of you to say Tech :) It felt good to get back to reporting, it feels like a nice way to close off an outing. And I can't deny that I have missed the interaction with the regulars in this area :)

Getting back into work has obviously been a major player in my ability to get out more, particularly as my job includes some weekend work which will lead to days off in the week when I prefer to travel. Unfortunately, a combination of having to work, trying to keep the lockdown website going (as it felt like too much work had gone in just to let it go) and fitting my travels in often means I just don't have the additional time to trip report. I have a little bit of a plan for when to get this done now so hopefully I will improve and continue to report, albeit with no guarantees of it being for every trip!

As for the working from home, I actually don't mind it. We are always in easy communication with everyone via Teams so you don't feel as isolated as I did when I did full time WFH many years ago! It is currently a 2 at home, 3 in the office split with weekends always at home although that may change to 3 at home - either way this hybrid way of working suits me perfectly as I enjoy being around people in the office but also like the saving money on petrol and also gaining time from working from home!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to hear WFH is good for you, it would drive me crazy. Definitely a good thing there's some interaction with the rest of the team in person :)

It also sounds like you're quite a busy ol' bee. I type my trip reports as I go, normally, which does help save a lot of time once I return to base. You may have noticed I spend a lot of my time outdoors and not on trains these days, indeed I should have been out touring on my cycle today but I got dragged into going to a safari park instead. Now I have lost all motivation to do much at all, it's been that boring a day! I have now scoped out the A456 between Tenbury Wells and Bewdley, so I know what it's like ahead of a possible cycle tour. It's not high on my list to do now, having seen the hills!

Hopefully we'll see more from you in due course, I'm hoping to get away either next week or the week after, so I might have a trip report then. Unsurprisingly, I'm taking a cycle with me but I just haven't decided on the route yet!

Established Member
Well isnt this a surprise. A great read there Mr Train, 68015 always avoids me when I'm on Chiltern Territory, 10 and 12 seem to think more fondly of me though. It's nice to have you back, some tidy photos there too, young sir. Nice to see, even more so, as your reappearance has seemingly brought the whole gang out too. Its like the Blues Brothers, "were getting the band back together".
Hello from Sunny Tyneside 20200530_134308.jpgkite, Cowley, Tech, Mr xot and David(not sure if our paths have crossed before) hope your all well guys.
I put the wrong pic up. I meant to put my mates Stardusts (real name is Kelvin) pic up. Very similar one you get the gist.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Gorgeous scene there good sir! :D

Can't complain too much here, I'm having to give up on a cycling challenge this month which has me annoyed, however I've cleared the one I really wanted and nearly done the other one I originally said no to. So I can't complain there, and I MIGHT be going on a train day on Wednesday! All will be revealed on my own thread in due course, it only came to mind this morning at work!

The_Train

Established Member
Glad to hear WFH is good for you, it would drive me crazy. Definitely a good thing there's some interaction with the rest of the team in person :)

It also sounds like you're quite a busy ol' bee. I type my trip reports as I go, normally, which does help save a lot of time once I return to base. You may have noticed I spend a lot of my time outdoors and not on trains these days, indeed I should have been out touring on my cycle today but I got dragged into going to a safari park instead. Now I have lost all motivation to do much at all, it's been that boring a day! I have now scoped out the A456 between Tenbury Wells and Bewdley, so I know what it's like ahead of a possible cycle tour. It's not high on my list to do now, having seen the hills!

Hopefully we'll see more from you in due course, I'm hoping to get away either next week or the week after, so I might have a trip report then. Unsurprisingly, I'm taking a cycle with me but I just haven't decided on the route yet!
I think the mix of WFH and working in the office is helping - I did 5 days WFH straight over last weekend and Tuesday was my last day before a bit of annual leave and I was going to ask if I could work it from home to lead into my holiday but I just needed to get out of the house and mix with people haha.

Great to hear that you're still smashing the cycling mate - great stuff!

And I haven't forgotten that we planned a meet around your area many moons ago before covid became a thing so we will have to arrange something. @47403 has gone as far to say it would be good for those of us in this section to find a suitable area to have a larger meet up at some point
Well isnt this a surprise. A great read there Mr Train, 68015 always avoids me when I'm on Chiltern Territory, 10 and 12 seem to think more fondly of me though. It's nice to have you back, some tidy photos there too, young sir. Nice to see, even more so, as your reappearance has seemingly brought the whole gang out too. Its like the Blues Brothers, "were getting the band back together".
Hello from Sunny Tyneside View attachment 116787kite, Cowley, Tech, Mr xot and David(not sure if our paths have crossed before) hope your all well guys.
I put the wrong pic up. I meant to put my mates Stardusts (real name is Kelvin) pic up. Very similar one you get the gist.

Your pressure told in the end and I had to return ;) :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Funnily enough, every so often I remember a conversation we had a long time ago, when I was off work with an injury and considered selling my cycle. I remember you telling me not to do so, and I'm glad I didn't do it after all. No such considerations at the moment (I'm off work again, but with the dreaded virus instead :'( ) but I do look at my Blue Beauty (hard not to when my armchair faces towards it!) and wonder how long it will be until I get to ride her again!

I was up your way a few days ago, and I did wonder how you were. I agree with the honourable gentleman of the Toon, it would be great to arrange a meet-up. Somewhere not too awkward for any of us to get to, which is certainly going to require some travelling for all of us even if it was somewhere like Leeds or Huddersfield, will take some choosing but the date to do it will be even harder to choose.

I must get on and post my latest trip report actually, otherwise it will be a bit out of date :lol:

The_Train

Established Member
The Thrill of the Chase - Wednesday 29th June 2022

Day 1 of some annual leave from work was supposed to be a TPE jaunt to the North East Coast but unfortunately my travel companion for the day tested positive for covid the day before and so my plans had to change. It also meant I had to dip into the bank account as I was on for a bit of free travel and so with a quick plan needed and at a reasonable price, I settled on the value for money West Midlands Day Ranger once again - an ideal ticket for me to use for STP days!

And so with that a plan was put into place to ride a line I have yet to do in the West Midlands area and so it was to Stafford for a 9am start which allowed me to see 90006 and 90008 take a Freightliner service north. Duds they may be, but I'll never tire of seeing this fantastic electrics. Dud for all 350240 was my first chariot of the day for a jaunt all the way through to Birmingham New Street where I connected onto the Cross City line for a run to Lichfield Trent Valley now the high level of this station is now open for business once again! Winner for haulage 323202 was my friend on this journey
20220629_100129.jpg

The original plan was to jump off this service at Lichfield, head downstairs to see the Class 91 scrap move and return in time to return back to Brum on the same units. Unfortunately as ever with scrap moves, it didn't run to time but as it did set off as I arrived into Lichfield, I decided to amend my plans and remain at Lichfield for a little longer to see the old workhorses on their funeral run - and this also gave me a chance to see some tilty action, including Royal Scot 390044
390044.jpg

Ex LNER and more recently ROG/DATS locos 91122 and 91128 then made their final appearance in between 37608 and 37611 as they were hauled away from Crewe South Yard to Sims Metal at Newport Docks

A bit of electro-cat action closed off by time at Lichfield as dud 88009 passed through with a southbound working to Daventry before it was back upstairs to take winner for haulage 323219 back to Birmingham New Street
20220629_120304.jpg 20220629_125131.jpg

There wasn't much of a layover at Birmingham, I mean why would you want to :D In fact it was straight over to P1 for a Cross Country service to haul me to Coventry and this was courtesy of dud for all 220017 - and despite the constant comments from those in power that no-one uses trains anymore, this was full and standing (admittedly not helped by it being a 4 car Bournemouth service). I won't bore you with the units I saw at Coventry as it is safe to say that it churns up nothing much new for me on this route but my next move did throw up a winner for haulage in 390040 which I took as far as Wolverhampton
20220629_134346.jpg

A late arrival into Wolverhampton (has anyone actually been on a service via Wolverhampton that hasn't been held outside the station?) meant I had to take myself back to my glory days with a sprint across the overbridge to connect onto the XC service that would take me back to Birmingham but it was yet another Voyager dud as these become harder to find winners on as I close in on completing the set for haulage - this time 220010 took me south! This return back to the bat cave was for the main aspect of my day as I finally got to do the Chase Line to Rugeley Trent Valley and although it was dud 350235 doing the honours, it was nice to take a route that is so close to me but I've not done before. The run through Walsall and Bescot churned up dud locos 66735 and 70020 but Bescot seems to be nothing more than a wagon park these days, primarily littered with Network Rail engineering wagons. Shame that is a shadow of what it used to be :( Remarkably, the arrival into Rugeley marked the first time I had alighted at the station that is the next stop to my local and allowed me to take this pretty unremarkable shot of the unit that was the first to take me through the Chase
20220629_160146.jpg

I was heading south from Rugeley via the Trent Valley and so it was over the slightly rickety overbridge to P1 to connect onto the London service which was not just a winner, but a 350/2 winner as I continue to seek these out before their inevitable removal from LNWR services, as 350262 took me down to Nuneaton for a short stop off where I was able to add DR79262 and DR79272 to the book of sights. As you would expect at Nuneaton, we also got a bit of freight action during my short stint there as dud 66767 pulled in for a crew change and 70808 made its way down off the flyover with a working from Westbury
20220629_164141.jpg 20220629_170229.jpg

After picking up a coffee, 172007 was a winner for sight and haulage as it took me along another new route between Nuneaton and Coventry as I made my way down to Leamington for the standard end to any decent West Midlands Day Ranger. At Coventry I was joined by a 'Twitter friend' who I'd originally met during a 5 day East Mids rover to see off the MML HST sets so there was lots of catching up to be done as we continued the run down to Leamington. I still have plenty of Chiltern units to tick off for sight and our wait for the big cat allowed me to knock off 165013, 165024 and 165032 in the space of around 20 minutes
20220629_164306.jpg

It wasn't too long before we heard that distant rumble of the cat engine as it approached Leamington and it was a glorious sight, not just because it was a Class 68 but also because it was winner for haulage 68014 which would be hauling us to Kidderminster
20220629_182947.jpg

The run through the Snow Hill tunnels was a solid 10 as always as that powerful engine did its thing - we even noted the amount of 'normal' travellers who were almost mesmerised by this fantastic machine, some even taking the time to photo/video it as it departed stations. I did nab 172006 for sight as we went through Birmingham Snow Hill but as always, the 42+ miles went by far too quickly and soon enough arrival into Kidderminster came and after watching the set depart for the sidings for its reversal towards Stourbridge for overnight stabling, it was over the bridge and on to dud for all 172340 for the run back to Smethwick where we connected onto winner for haulage 158836 on a service into Wales which we would take as far as Wolverhampton. This is my mates hometown and after checking out a couple of freight workings - duds 66764 on a stone working and 66735/66704 on an engineering train - we said our farewells and I prepared for the final leg of my journey home which was via dud 221134 - now my most used Cross Country traction.

A later arrival home than planned and with another outing planned for the following day (report to follow), there was no hanging around at Stafford, it was straight home for food and sleep! And with another WMDR complete, I'd hit the following results:

• 7 Winners for Sight
  • 7 Winners for Haulage

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I missed this earlier somehow! Excellent day out there, nice work on catching those 91s on the way to scrap (I am out of the loop, didn't know that was happening) too.

As you may see soon enough on my trip report thread, I was in Stafford the day after, also on a WMDR! We'll organise an actual meet-up some time, even if it's just for a coffee break or something between trains/rides!

Status
Not open for further replies.