Bad day for Liverpool & Newcastle on TPE

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Old Yard Dog, 22 Dec 2019.

1. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Yesterday (Sat 21st Dec) was a very bad day for TPE services from Liverpool - Manchester and York - Newcastle in particular. TPE had announced a reduced service earlier in the week but then cancelled many more trains on the day. The service was particularly poor later in the afternoon and evening. Two services from Newcastle were cancelled between 1730 and 1830 which would have been disastrous for those trying to get back from St James Park. And very few trains were operating between Leeds and Manchester - or between Manchester and Liverpool. Northern also cancelled a lot of trains but weren't quite as bad as TPE.

Does anybody have any idea why the service was so bad? Was it lack of properly trained staff on new units, staff sickness or staff simply wanting Saturday off and refusing to work overtime?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. BeHereNow

BeHereNow Member

Even though Liverpool Newcastle trains don't go there, I think the problem is the lack of extra platforms at Manchester Piccadilly.

4. Bertie the bus

Bertie the bus Established Member

Thanks for posting that. It should go in the things that made you smile today thread.

5. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Have you seen this thread:
    https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...land-cancellations.195406/page-4#post-4346567
    Probably all the reasons you mentioned combined, but surely it isn’t a sudden new issue this weekend?

6. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

I'm wondering how many different threads there can be about Northern and TPE cancelling trains...

7. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

The fact they’ve still got the franchise at all is evidence of just how proficient those in charge must have become at simply diverting blame elsewhere for the vast majority of its failings

8. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Member

More threads than trains running

9. CHAPS2034

CHAPS2034 Member

Excellent. Sums it up in a nutshell.:D

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Member

It certainly isn't :p per my post in that thread, there have been increased TPE cancellations from Newcastle for months now.

11. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

On RTT it looks like about a third of TPE trains through Leeds to Manchester cancelled today, including all Newcastle and Edinburgh services - which ironically are shown as "due to late arrival of an inbound service!" They are fibbing again... not arriving at all is not late.

12. APT618S

APT618S Member

Just passed the departure boards at Newcastle and noticed the 2201 to Man Airport and 2246 to Huddersfield are showing as Bus Services also the 2221 arr from Liverpool is cancelled.

13. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Meanwhile the service indicator on NRE says "Good Service" for TPE.

14. AndrewE

That is scandalously dishonest. I wonder if there is a regulator that could call them to account?
    And would someone doing a review of the current structure even be aware of this low-level dishonesty and misleading of customers?

15. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

First northbound train to stop at Chester-le-Street today wasn't until 17:02 thanks to the cancellations. It's becoming way too frequent an occurance now, it's got to the point where the train service from Chester-le-Street is no longer useable as Transpennine Express just can't be trusted to actually operate the service.

16. cuccir

cuccir Established Member

I commute Durham to Newcastle and I'm glad I don't have to rely on TPE (they provide 2 of 5 trains per hour). Their service has been unreliable since May 2018, with peaks and troughs; the last fortnight has definitely been a trough and I've no reason to believe it'll improve radically when the temporary timetable ends.

Of course, all of this has been well documented across their Network. I have every sympathy with people making journeys where they are the only operator.

17. Vespa

Vespa Member

A friend regularly commutes to Liverpool and quite often his TPE is regularly cancelled or delayed then cancelled, he uses Northern trains when that happens, even Northern have cancellations as well.

It doesn't inspire confidence not knowing if your train is running on time or even running at all.

18. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

I should imagine that the answer to your query is the same number of different excuses made by the two TOC....<(

19. AndrewE

It's more than "a bad day!"
    On TPE's website https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/december-2019-timetable-changes we have the following
    with the explanation

20. 2L70

2L70 Member

I’ve been to a quite a few Newcastle United games this season and there is ALWAYS cancellations on TPE on Saturday. Nothing new.

21. rg177

rg177 Established Member

I have never seen the TPE service from Newcastle be quite this bad- to the extent that I simply cannot book onto their services because I cannot trust that it will run.

I'm lucky that there are alternatives, but the folk of Chester-le-St must be sick. This isn't just a case of a few trains being cancelled- TPE managed to run five trains all day yesterday southbound from Newcastle.

22. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

That isn't just that part of it - it's all like that. Today the Scottish services near enough didn't run (some did, but a good many didn't).

It's good that they have (unlike Northern and LNR) published an emergency timetable, but I think they haven't lopped enough.

23. Bertie the bus

Bertie the bus Established Member

No it isn't good. The fact they have issued an emergency timetable and are still cancelling so many services just shows:
    a) how bad the situation is
    b) how long it is likely to last
    c) what little grasp of the situation TPE have
    By cotrast, last summer when Northern's services were in meltdown they almost immediately stabilised when they introduced an emergency timetable.

24. mrmartin

mrmartin Member

I'm really struggling to understand what ticket acceptance TPE has in place. Their website says that they have pretty reasonable ticket acceptance in place with Avanti, LNER and Northern, but the journey check website only refers to road transport.

At Pic the tannoys were saying take northern to Preston, but at Preston there was road transport booked?

25. greyman42

greyman42 Member

I was on my way home from the match to York, and the 1727 LNER was rammed with first class declassified as far as York.

26. Foxcover

Foxcover Member

Does anyone know what all this is doing to First’s/TPE’s revenue line with respect to the core Transpennine routes? It must be fairly devastating and I’d guess a long time before they rebuild the credibility they’ve completely lost there.

It would be interesting to see how that current and projected continuing revenue loss compares to the ORCATs share from the Scottish routes, which the TPE boardroom is clearly totally focused on (or it would have paused the Scottish routes for six months and focused on getting the core delivered).

27. NEDdrv

NEDdrv Member

I posted this in Aug last year, maybe just as well it didn’t happen but nice to see some XC trains have been speeded up from Derby

Have seen quite a few comments about Newcastle terminating trains being curtailed at York as TPE are running more services, people need to to careful what they wish for as there have been so many of their trains cancelled or terminated short at York, Northallerton or Darlington in the last few months at least most of the time XC do make it to Newcastle. XC trains suffer due to poor timetables, at Doncaster most arrive outside early only to be held for late running LNER trains, then they can be delayed by late running TPE trains from York. With the Derby work finished running times should be improved and would be interesting to see what the performance figure would be if XC train left Doncaster before the LNER and York in front of the TPE

28. Nicholas Lewis

Nicholas Lewis Member

Well the MD got a hefty 331k last year for running this TOC so there's an easy option for an ORCATs raid https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...M4NWFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

29. quantinghome

quantinghome Member

How come LNER can introduce a new train fleet with relatively little disruption?

30. mrmartin

mrmartin Member

31. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

Learned lessons from GWR? (Reply to #27)