• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad day on the ECML 31/3/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
AIUI part of the some recent specs (might include the 800 series) is that a failed unit can be coupled to from either end by another, basic control provided over the connection wiring, and even if brakes etc need to be isolated and released on the failed unit, there is sufficent brake capability on the recovering unit that the combination can be taken to a point where it can be dumped out of the way, albeit at low speed. But it only works on like units. On a mixed route like the ECML we have many different fleets mixed up and no way to interwork, even for recovery.
Surely that's been the case ever since multiple units have existed?

You can run 2+x 14x/15xs together with the electrical boxes retracted to only provide mechanical rather than electrical coupling. As long as the coupler is the same type and at the same height, you can mechanically couple to clear the line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pseudonym

Currently sitting on 1D31 (20:03) from KGX - allegedly due to depart on time.
1S31 next door has just departed for Edinburgh 49 late.

skyhigh

Established Member
Currently sitting on 1D31 (20:03) from KGX - allegedly due to depart on time.
1S31 next door has just departed for Edinburgh 49 late.
You've had the TRTS (train ready to start) plunger pushed so looks like you'll go on time.

Established Member
Just looking at the LNER rush hour 4.30 to 7 from Kings Cross

1606 Lincoln left 1636
1730 Edinburgh

and that was it 2 departures in 2 1/2 hours in peak!

1830 Edinburgh left 1905
1900 Edinburgh left 1949
1930 Newcastle left 2017
2003 Leeds left on time (only 2nd Leeds train since 1233 departure)

the timetable completely decimated by one grand central unit failure very close to a loop. Outrageous!

Pseudonym

1D31 - On time (And I am an hour late) with no on board food :frown:
If only I had thought and not believed the platform staff who said catering would be as normal.
Also the LNER app didn't update to say no catering until it was too late to get off and back on again.
On the plus side - delay repay and at least I'll get home!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Apart from the 1327 Lincoln - London. Did any divert via the joint line? Or was it the normal combination of no engine / right engine but crew don’t sign.

xotGD

Established Member
Apart from the 1327 Lincoln - London. Did any divert via the joint line? Or was it the normal combination of no engine / right engine but crew don’t sign.
1E11 0752 Aberdeen to London Kings Cross went that way

Pseudonym

I am a massive fan of rail travel but really do struggle to understand how it is acceptable in 2022 to take so long to shift a broken down train.
Can someone from Network Rail or with inside info shed some light?

LCC106

Established Member
At least I got my £4-10 back, but as LNER had both my e-mail address and phone number, couldn't they have got a message to me?
With potentially hundreds of booked passengers I would have thought that would take a very long time and they have other priorities.

At least I got my £4-10 back, but as LNER had both my e-mail address and phone number, couldn't they have got a message to me?

With potentially hundreds of booked passengers I would have thought that would take a very long time and they have other priorities.

It's quite possible to set up systems to bulk-send text messages in the same way that one might send emails to many recipients, in fact I've built something myself in the past (though not at this scale) to do just this and the company that I works for has such functionality as standard as part of the product. It's not even very expensive to do. Yes, SMS is now quite outdated, but obviously it has absolutely no compatibility issues and is quick and easy, making it very appropriate for bulk messaging/alerts.

Established Member
Anyone have any idea when they moving the unit? It’s still in Claypole loop

Established Member
Anyone have any idea when they moving the unit? It’s still in Claypole loop
If moved by a loco can only move at very very slow speed.

When it was moved yesterday it was at 5mph.

cuccir

Established Member
Just looking at the LNER rush hour 4.30 to 7 from Kings Cross

1606 Lincoln left 1636
1730 Edinburgh

and that was it 2 departures in 2 1/2 hours in peak!

1830 Edinburgh left 1905
1900 Edinburgh left 1949
1930 Newcastle left 2017
2003 Leeds left on time (only 2nd Leeds train since 1233 departure)

the timetable completely decimated by one grand central unit failure very close to a loop. Outrageous!
This wasn't the only or necessarily even primary cause.

Services coming from Scotland were been delayed for 30-90 minutes by an object in the overhead wires at Morpeth, and this was compounded by a ~30 minutes delay when a service broke down on the ECML between Newcastle and Durham, just as things were getting going agian.

See the eg 13:30 from Edinburgh: it set off on time but picked up 70 minutes going through Northumberland, had another 20 minute delay at Newcastle. It then lost another 20 minutes, which were gradually accured and I assume just from conjestion. This should have been the 18:30 from Edinburgh - its delays were completely unconnected to the broken down train near Newark.

Established Member
This wasn't the only or necessarily even primary cause.

Services coming from Scotland were been delayed for 30-90 minutes by an object in the overhead wires at Morpeth, and this was compounded by a ~30 minutes delay when a service broke down on the ECML between Newcastle and Durham, just as things were getting going agian.

See the eg 13:30 from Edinburgh: it set off on time but picked up 70 minutes going through Northumberland, had another 20 minute delay at Newcastle. It then lost another 20 minutes, which were gradually accured and I assume just from conjestion. This should have been the 18:30 from Edinburgh - its delays were completely unconnected to the broken down train near Newark.
1330 delayed initially due to the overheads with a bag, furthe delayed Newcastle awaiting crew of delayed northbound services.
Where do you get it should of been the 1830 of Edinburgh? No it shouldn’t.
That would of been formed off 1S18 which was heavily delayed, so 1S17 formed 1830 and 1S18 formed 1936.

cuccir

Established Member
1330 delayed initially due to the overheads with a bag, furthe delayed Newcastle awaiting crew of delayed northbound services.
Where do you get it should of been the 1830 of Edinburgh? No it shouldn’t.
That would of been formed off 1S18 which was heavily delayed, so 1S17 formed 1830 and 1S18 formed 1936.
Ah sorry, I meant the 18:30 to Edinburgh, from Kings Cross.

The delays at Newcastle were due to a train stuck at Birtley. Nothing was going south for a short while - XC, TPE, LNER. I was sat on a train at Newcastle and could see the stuck unit on OpenTrainTimes. They got it going again after about 30 mins.

High Dyke

Established Member
I am a massive fan of rail travel but really do struggle to understand how it is acceptable in 2022 to take so long to shift a broken down train.
Can someone from Network Rail or with inside info shed some light?
Far from being knowledgeable on the subject, However, a number of factors may occur (in no particular order)
  • It could be that the rescuing train / loco may be stuck in a queue of affected trains behind the failure - especially on a two-track section of line.
  • Incompatible type of train immediately behind failure.
  • Circumstances of the problem and how it may need to be managed.

Banham7

I've just had a quick look at the track diagram again, and noticed 180114 is still sat at Claypole, presumably still lifeless. Must be a big job (gathering it was a total electrical system failure) to move it if we are coming up to 2 days since it was stranded.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It was always related to me that because GC have ten of them at Heaton and have plenty of slack in their fleet it's usually possible to find enough good runners that the ones that are running but are a bit dubious can be kept out of service for long enough that they can be bashed back into shape.
The GCR fleet are actually based at Crofton for maintenance and normally only get service overnight at Heaton. The GCR stock diagrams are designed to swap units from West Riding (Bradford) at Kings Cross, onto the Sunderland services so that the overnighters at Heaton are relatively fresh.

On the day that 180114 sat down near Claypole, 180104 also failed in the platform at Bradford Interchange with no power in the south end cab, resulting in cancellation of 1A67

ACBest

I've just had a quick look at the track diagram again, and noticed 180114 is still sat at Claypole, presumably still lifeless. Must be a big job (gathering it was a total electrical system failure) to move it if we are coming up to 2 days since it was stranded.
Can confirm that it’s still there as of this afternoon!

STINT47

Still not been moved. Perhaps they will take it away via road transport if it cannot be rescued easily.

Established Member
Still not been moved. Perhaps they will take it away via road transport if it cannot be rescued easily.
I had a look Friday, it’s right at far end of the loop away from the road at Claypole box, so not that straight forward. Obviously it’s a big problem

High Dyke

Established Member
I had a look Friday, it’s right at far end of the loop away from the road at Claypole box, so not that straight forward. Obviously it’s a big problem
There is that. Equally, access at Claypole isn't ideal for road extraction. The positioning also prevents Hough Lane footpath crossing (midway along the Up Loop) from being obstructed.

Established Member
There is that. Equally, access at Claypole isn't ideal for road extraction. The positioning also prevents Hough Lane footpath crossing (midway along the Up Loop) from being obstructed.
What’s the actual problem High Dyke do you know?

High Dyke

Established Member
Unit wise, no idea i'm afraid. From an extraction point of view though, the road rises up to the crossing from the Up side heading into the village, and the angle of the crossing is askew. this makes positioning of any transport or crane challenging. If they could utilise a wheelskate, then movement to Newark Northgate would be possible where road access may be gained in the up sidings. I'm seem to recall a number of years ago a train was recovered from the sidings having failed.

1649058148398.png

Established Member
The unit lost power to all engines, and also was completely electrically dead as well, driver had to use signal telephone to communicate.
It will have to be loco hauled to depot, but that will be a slow speed move.
Unless, they can get engineers to Rectify the engines before moving under own power.

Established Member
The unit lost power to all engines, and also was completely electrically dead as well, driver had to use signal telephone to communicate.
It will have to be loco hauled to depot, but that will be a slow speed move.
Unless, they can get engineers to Rectify the engines before moving under own power.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.