• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury to London Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Did this service get axed ? I see there is only an odd direct service with most terminating at Didcot

I know there is the Chiltern service but was there much opposition to the loss of this through service ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wirewiper

Any vestiges of a through London Paddington-Banbury service disappeared in January 2018 when electric trains started running in public service to Didcot Parkway.

Now, apart from a few trains which start at Reading, a diesel shuttle operates between Didcot Parkway and Oxford with some services extended to/from Banbury.

As you say, there is the Chiltern Railways service between Banbury and London Marylebone.

sonic2009

Established Member
I believe there is only 1 direct service between Banbury and London Paddington at 2006, and there are 4 services direct to Reading at 0608, 1735, 2137 and 2345.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If electrification had gone as planned I think we would only be left with the Oxford - Banbury stopper, it’s only because of the wiring pause that there are many through trains south of Oxford at all.

I don’t recall hearing of major objections, it was probably just considered a side effect of the electrification plan.

The 2015 direct franchise award brief did say that from May 2017 it would be a Banbury to Oxford shuttle except for 4 through trains to Didcot which would connect there with other fast trains.

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
Did this service get axed ? I see there is only an odd direct service with most terminating at Didcot

I know there is the Chiltern service but was there much opposition to the loss of this through service ?

There may have been a limited number of through Paddington-Banbury and vice versa services until the start of this year but south of Oxford they ran as semi-fasts, making lots of stops, so of no use for through journeys and far slower than the Chiltern route or changing at Didcot to/from a Paddington express.

MichaelAMW

For many years, if you didn't want to go to Marylebone, the way to reach Paddington has been to catch one of the half-hourly XC services and change to something fast at either Oxford or Reading. GW basically don't provide a service from Banbury to London or even Reading.

STKKK46

I remember a few years back if you got the late Birmingham Snow Hill to Banbury train, there was a connection to Paddington, allowing you a late journey to London from all stations south of Birmingham. Doubt many used it, but the sort of service many on here would have liked to have seen stay!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I remember a few years back if you got the late Birmingham Snow Hill to Banbury train, there was a connection to Paddington, allowing you a late journey to London from all stations south of Birmingham. Doubt many used it, but the sort of service many on here would have liked to have seen stay!

Still seems to be the case if you are prepared to change a lot of times
2U90 2212 Birmingham Snow Hill to Banbury 2323
2V79 2345 Banbury to Reading 0114

Indeed, this also has a connection out of the last train from Stratford upon Avon at Oxford
2V98 2315 Stratford-upon-Avon to Oxford 0022
2V79 2345 Banbury to Reading 0114 (leaves Oxford at 0027)

It would be interesting to know whether an unofficial connection is maintained into
2P01 0115 Reading to London Paddington 0201

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Still seems to be the case if you are prepared to change a lot of times
2U90 2212 Birmingham Snow Hill to Banbury 2323
2V79 2345 Banbury to Reading 0114

Indeed, this also has a connection out of the last train from Stratford upon Avon at Oxford
2V98 2315 Stratford-upon-Avon to Oxford 0022
2V79 2345 Banbury to Reading 0114 (leaves Oxford at 0027)

It would be interesting to know whether an unofficial connection is maintained into
2P01 0115 Reading to London Paddington 0201

Looking at past performance- it seems not. I'd imagine anyone going to London would just be directed to the 0224. Although, the inbound for that arrives at 0133 so depending on procedure it could be left unlocked for anyone wanting to not be roaming Reading station for an hour.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Looking at past performance- it seems not. I'd imagine anyone going to London would just be directed to the 0224. Although, the inbound for that arrives at 0133 so depending on procedure it could be left unlocked for anyone wanting to not be roaming Reading station for an hour.

Having been on the 0224, it's locked until about 0215.
There's a 'cosy' waiting room on platform 7 though

Status
Not open for further replies.