• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone done the Bangkok to Chiang Mai (or vice versa) Sleeper train?

In particular, what is the level of service on the trains, and would you recommend the Thai, or Chinese cars? Was thinking about going First class as it's so cheap.

https://12go.asia/en is recommended by Man In Seat 61 website; has anyone here used any other site?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Has anyone done the Bangkok to Chiang Mai (or vice versa) Sleeper train?

In particular, what is the level of service on the trains, and would you recommend the Thai, or Chinese cars? Was thinking about going First class as it's so cheap.

https://12go.asia/en is recommended by Man In Seat 61 website; has anyone here used any other site?

Chinese cars? Is there a through service to China?

racklam

I've done it from Bangkok to Chiang Mai before. Booked a couple of days before at Bangkok Hualamphong, but it wasn't a particularly busy time of year.

This was before the Chinese cars entered service, so I was in a second class Thai car (with air con). It was perfectly comfortable, and actually I prefer travelling end-to-end instead of side-to-side on sleepers, so probably wouldn't have gone in first anyway.

I'd be wary planning anything concrete on your day of arrival (such as any onward travel) - my train arrived four hours late, and I gathered that sort of delay was a regular occurrence.

Shinkansenfan

I've made the trip many years ago, when there were only the Thai cars. The air conditioning in the sleeping cars can be fierce, and even more so once you reach the cooler temps of Chang Mai.

As I recall, the dining car was a pleasant experience serving tasty food at cheap (for international travelers) prices.

I'd try first class. And for the return trip consider sampling a different class just for the experience!

I recall reading somewhere that there are future plans to shift the long distance trains out of Hualompong Station to somewhere further from town (commuter trains would still use this station). This is an unfortunate development which will take away from the romance of the ride, and an unwelcome development that has also afflicted Singapore, Hong Kong and other cities in Asia.

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
I found the Thai second class sleepers ( curtained couchettes aligned with the direction of travel ) to be more conducive to sleep than the european-style transverse bunks in first class - that is going back a few years, though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I found the Thai second class sleepers ( curtained couchettes aligned with the direction of travel ) to be more conducive to sleep than the european-style transverse bunks in first class - that is going back a few years, though.

But go for the bottom bunk, the top is too brightly lit.

Bigchris

I've done it the other way, Bangkok heading south as far as Trang (about 15 hours). We had a 1st class sleeper compartment and it was fine, and you get your own sink so at least you can freshen up in private. The top bunk was a little bouncy but that's to be expected with the state of some of the tracks in Thailand. A hostess came round and took orders for dinner and breakfast which are delivered to your cabin, alternatively, the buffet car was certainly an experience not to be missed. The food in the buffet car was great, all freshly cooked in an open wok, a lovely cool breeze from having open windows (they don't open in the 1st class compartments), and very lively entertainment was provided in the form of Thai video karaoke lol. I didn't sing, however I did end up drinking most of the night with one of the waiters who turned out to be working on the railways after discharge from the army when he was shot in the leg by a Cambodian sniper!
One of those random journeys that I'll never forget lol

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
I did it again for the second time a few months ago. I do have some pictures which I can email you (or someone can explain how to attach hah). I went up on the Chinese carriages and came back on the older ones. The Chinese ones were wonderful. Modern, bright and clean. They have Wifi in the restaurant car and serve much more than the older ones in the way of food. The older one coming back is made of metal. I mean everything is metal. Its fine and will do the job, but when you look down the carriage everything is metal, the beds, the ladders, the luggage racks, makes it quite interesting. But it is old, and the toilets and other facilities reflect that (I wouldn't have fancied being a woman and needing the toilet, put it that way). I found you get more locals on the Thai ones and more tourists on the Chinese ones. I'd say take the Chinese ones every time if the timings and budget allow it, they are really good.
My only (I don't want to say criticisms because its down to personal taste really) pointers would be (apologies if you have been here before)

1. The air con is really cold. Now this is fine for me, because I feel the heat, so I love it. But I know plenty that that needed a jumper on the sleepers.
2. The staff on the Chinese carriages kicked you out the restaurant/wifi/social car at midnight. After that it was beds only, so bear that in mind if you want food/you're in a group.
3. I'd always recommend booking bottom bunk as the top bunks have no window on either design of carriage. Also, if you're solo, and the bottom bunker wants to sleep, you have no choice to go up top with no window. Not a problem, but if you fancied watching out the window, bear that in mind too.

I also used 12GoAsia and thoroughly recommend them. I had a journey with them carrying into Malaysia cancelled due to the terrible flooding in Southern Thailand in January, and I had a full refund within 24 hours and had no issues booking further tickets with them later on during my trip. The office in Bangkok speaks English incredibly well. So yeah, 100% recommend them.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'm getting pretty knowledgable with Thai State Railways haha

dutchflyer

Established Member
The major prob is not so much the trains, but the state of the track and the always unpredictable undefinite delays.
in 1st cl you have closed-off cabins and sleep as here in EUR, in 2nd its 2 sides of berthes beside central gang and you sleep parrallel to tracks. IF you can sleep that is, due to state of track many people compare it to woken up like a fruitshake.
Note that sale of alco is officially banned since late last year.
As these prime touristy trains have only AC and an extra supplment as special-express, they are not cheap at all-flying (if smartly prebooked) is often cheaper and there are still dozens of overnight buses/coaches in 4 classes from some 20+ companies.
As a very regular visitor to LOS (land of smiles) have used those trains very often, but have mostly used other means the last years. Esp. these trains have succeeded in becoming prime touristy must-dos, as also testified by seat61.com and in any traveller-forum there are endless all-the-same questions.
(note: train travel in 3d cl. ''ordinary'' trains (hard wooden seats mostly) is free for Thai, in fact for anyone looking and able to speak some Thai, untill end of this year, when its will remain free only for Thai with a card showing they are poor!

Status
Not open for further replies.