• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barkston Curve closes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

This curve between the ECML and the Skegness line saw its last train last night, with all trains between Skeggy and Grantham being routed via the new Allington East curve from Monday 3rd October.

The Barkston curve will remain in situ for a few months, for back up measures, if the new chord causes problems, then it will be dismantled and removed. This will leave GNER trains unhindered by 60mph Sprinters for the four miles between Grantham and Barkston South.

I was on the second-to-last train to trvaerse this curve last night (2116 ex Sleaford), so anyone who hasn't done it will have a gap in thier Rail Atlas!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a shame this is just about the only ECML capacity improvement happening at the moment, due to the WCML going over budget by the odd billion here and there, but it is some much needed good news for the ECML.

I am not bothered about covering a little curve though, you can't travel on every little curve in the country ;)

I do believe all CT trains via Grantham have to travel approx 1 additional mile though with the new chord, but this is probably better than sitting waiting to be pathed between expresses at the junction, and will make pathing of both routes much easier and lessen the impact of delays.

Simming

wasn't the main problem the fact that to get this curve, trains had to run wrong line for so long, which was causing problems?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simming said:
wasn't the main problem the fact that to get this curve, trains had to run wrong line for so long, which was causing problems?
I don't think so, but they would have had to cross the ECML on the flat, which is not a great idea.

Tomnick

Established Member
There was a fair amount (200yds or so, I think) of wrong-line running (on the Up Main) involved for Down Skegness trains, but that wasn't too major - the main problem was, quite often, having to sit on the Down Main waiting for an up express to pass.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah well, I did the curve a good few years ago (luckily and hopefully!) when visiting Skegness to go to Butlins (not my choice, but was great then as a kid). Now I've got to go up that way again to do the new curve! Damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.