• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barrier code 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what a code 06 means on barriers. Noticed with my new daily commute every season ticket holder including myself is getting a code 06 seek assistance.
Creates additional work for the staff, and a queue at the barrier.

Mine seem to work on the morning of day 1 each ticket and then that's it.
I've had a couple of week tickets and now a month ticket which worked this morning and then went 06 this evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Where was this? The precise meaning of the code depends on the type of ticket gate, but it is not a code you would normally expect to see. Were other people's tickets working in the ticket gate you used? Did you try other ticket gates?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For some types of gates, it means the gate has been switched into 'engineer' mode, which seems likely here. (For other types it can indicate possible serious fraud.)

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
At Truro, only season ticket holders having problems using the gateline. Had it all last week except Monday morning last week, my ticket worked this morning, but this evening came back to 06. Have tried all the gates through the course of the week.

I was actually wondering due to my ticket only working on morning of day 1 each period if it's erroneously marking it as a used ticket and restricting further use through barriers. Last week I was on a 7 day liskeard to Redruth but using Truro Monday to Friday. This week I've bought a monthly liskeard Truro.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
06 is Wrong ticket type/Test mode.

richw

Veteran Member
Been like it for at least 2 weeks,

Photo of my ticket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82289286@N06/26606786076/

Last 2 weeks have been on 7 days with further validity past Truro as needed to make visits to Redruth for last 2 Saturday's and Sunday's and only £3 more for a Redruth 7 day ticket from liskeard.
06 is Wrong ticket type/Test mode.

Would they be set to reject season tickets deliberately as a wrong ticket type?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would they be set to reject season tickets deliberately as a wrong ticket type?

lf certain tickets were set to be rejected it would be a different code.

furlong

Established Member

So I'd guess that the gates have been left in engineering mode, rather than there being any problem with the tickets concerned. Have the staff reported the problem and requested assistance to fix it?

richw

Veteran Member
I tweeted gwr with a bit more knowledge of a 06 last night after this thread. This morning the barriers were open with a manual ticket check.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Did a Tyne Tees Rover this weekend and every barriered station I came to, I got a 06 for staff assistance. It got to the point where I simply left the ticket in the wallet to display to the gateline staff to open the disabled gate to let me through.

Noticed that Rangers and Rovers get a lot of 06 messages - is this a fault in the design of the gates?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Did a Tyne Tees Rover this weekend and every barriered station I came to, I got a 06 for staff assistance. It got to the point where I simply left the ticket in the wallet to display to the gateline staff to open the disabled gate to let me through.

Noticed that Rangers and Rovers get a lot of 06 messages - is this a fault in the design of the gates?
I would say that it is more a fault in the coding of the tickets, in that all rovers (and, I think, rangers) have the same coding on the magnetic strip, so it is impossible for gates to determine whether they are valid for that location. The choice available to those doing the programming is to accept all or reject all, regardless of validity. Reject all and rely on the human element is probably easiest.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Rovers and rangers are often coded with the origin and destination as the same station, which can confuse the barriers. Whether the barriers accept or reject will depend on how the barriers are programmed, but that is the issue.

This was an interesting post from a year or two ago by the manager responsible for the barriers at Leeds:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1611673#post1611673

richw

Veteran Member
This evening I've achieved a new code. A code 09.

Regarding Rovers, I've had seek assistance ever gateline I've ever put a ride Cornwall, or Devon day ranger through.

That means the ticket coding has become corrupted somehow.

A problem that affected lots of Centro pass holders on the introduction of the New Street barriers... It happened to me once and I did wonder whether it was maybe keeping it next to my Swift ITSO card that corrupted it?

richw

Veteran Member
That means the ticket coding has become corrupted somehow.

I know how easy that can be done, pocket with phone, or smart card amongst other things. Gwr Twitter said they are working on smart/mobile ticketing. How do they work with a barrier?
This morning I got a 07, which I believe is ticket can't be read.

It's a bit of barrier code bingo, can I get a full house within the month

I know how easy that can be done, pocket with phone, or smart card amongst other things. Gwr Twitter said they are working on smart/mobile ticketing. How do they work with a barrier?

I know that, at New Street, the barriers have barcode readers and I've seen people use those to scan a QR code on their phone screen. I guess that's how they work.

I wonder if the same reader used for smartcards could also read the phone's NFC chip, if it had one, and if the app was capable?

Status
Not open for further replies.