• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basingstoke- London CDR/ODT with BoJ in Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkdd77

If I buy a Basingstoke- London 'rte Any Permitted' 'C7' CDR, or ODT:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/ODT_C7.pdf
intending to break my outward journey in Reading for a few hours, could I travel on an early morning weekday train from Basingstoke to Reading and break my journey there, provided I resume only on trains from Reading arriving at Paddington at or after 10:00?

The restriction code clearly permits BoJ, and also clearly prohibits travelling on trains arriving at a London terminal before 10:00, but appears to be silent on the question of whether Basingstoke- Reading journeys are restricted (these trains don't continue to any London terminal), and there is nothing in the restriction code specifically permitting or barring connecting trains.

In short, may I use any train between Basingstoke and Reading, or merely those deemed to 'connect into' trains from Reading scheduled to depart so as to arrive at Paddington at or after 10:00, and, if the latter, how is the phrase 'connect into' determined in this context?

Using the 'extra time to change trains' function on the NRE website, and setting the interchange time to '2 hours', will show CDRs and ODTs as being valid on the 07:08 from Basingstoke to Reading, connecting into the 09:45 from Reading to London Paddington, which implies that travel on 'early connecting trains' is permitted, given that the NRE website itself purports to be the 'definitive source of information':
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi.../0645/dep/281013/1545/dep?twohour&via=Reading

If it is indeed valid, am I likely to face problems when attempting to use the ticket in this manner?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
If the restriction code doesn't restrict trains not going into London Terminals, you should be able to travel on any.

Even if not, if NRE says it's OK, it's OK, is the general rule.

You might want to bring a printout of the restriction code (from the official PDF) and the itinerary showing the ticket type/price, though I don't know how likely problems will be.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd expect the ticket barriers at Basingstoke won't accept the ticket, (it's unlikely they'll be able to deal with the possibility as the barrier software has no way of knowing which train you are about to get on).

So that will be your first opportunity to explain to staff, so a printout will be a good idea...

jkdd77

There is only a requirement to check NRE for routeing, not for permitted times, AFAIK

The NRE website states:
NRE said:
We are the definitive source of customer information for all passenger rail services on the National Rail network in England, Wales and Scotland. NRE is part of the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC)...
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/46383.aspx

I don't see anything on that page limiting the phrase "definitive source of customer information" to apply only to routeing.

Muzer

Established Member
There is only a requirement to check NRE for routeing, not for permitted times, AFAIK
Yes - but any valid itinerary from any official website should also be accepted. Not sure if that's an official rule but at least a piece of ATOC correspondence.

soil

Established Member
Yes you can board one of the trains that terminate at Reading.

Also there's not really much of a premium between an SDR and a CDR for BSK-RDG (there is an obscene premium for BSK - London however), so it's not an unreasonable thing to do from a revenue perspective.

jkdd77

I also need a cycle reservation (only from Basingstoke to Reading and back), and online journey planners simply won't give me a itinerary on a BSK- London CDR ticket.

I tried to ask the journey planner to route me via Staines to Waterloo so as to force a booking on an earlier BSK- RDG train, but this is no longer a permitted route for a BSK- London Terminals ticket, although it is on a ODT.

How much hassle am I likely to face:
a) obtaining a seat/ cycle reservation with an CDR;
b) actually using the ticket, at the Basingstoke barrier, onboard a FGW or XC service, or at the Reading barrer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.