• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beaulieu Park Station Construction

GB

Established Member
There does need to be a better solution. Line is closed from Witham to London all weekends in Feb. So that is not even an option.

I did see somewhere else that passengers from Chelmsford pay the most per KM to London......yet get a 5 days a week service.

As a Chelmsford commuter, Post Covid i'm not entirely convinced the new station was needed either. Though appreciate where u live in Chelmsford will skew your view on that.

Once the 1000’s of new houses are built in the area the new station will very much be needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vinnym70

My suspicion is that the new station will attract a lot of people from other stations, especially those using the Braintree branch and Hatfield Peverel currently seeking a more frequent service. Once the new north-east bypass opens (if it does) the proposition is quite attractive, with only a limited amount of traffic likely to disrupt your journey and definitely much less than a drive into central Chelmsford.

I seem to recall that the original plans had a multi-storey carpark but this is now purely surface level and I wonder whether Covid was the trigger there.

LAX54

Established Member
When it's all done....

Attachments

• BEAU PK.png
    BEAU PK.png
    737.2 KB · Views: 210

Adrian1980uk

My suspicion is that the new station will attract a lot of people from other stations, especially those using the Braintree branch and Hatfield Peverel currently seeking a more frequent service. Once the new north-east bypass opens (if it does) the proposition is quite attractive, with only a limited amount of traffic likely to disrupt your journey and definitely much less than a drive into central Chelmsford.

I seem to recall that the original plans had a multi-storey carpark but this is now purely surface level and I wonder whether Covid was the trigger there.
Although it will attract passengers from elsewhere on the railways, the hope would be to add additional passengers from places in the area where commuting by train wasn't so practical

THC

Although it will attract passengers from elsewhere on the railways, the hope would be to add additional passengers from places in the area where commuting by train wasn't so practical
I expect the station will attract some traffic from the eastern A414 corridor, i.e. Danbury and the new estates to the west and south of Maldon, which are poorly served by the current station configuration.

THC

vinnym70

Brutal Happy New Year from GA - no trains due to signalling fault between Ingatestone and Chelmsford and buses being summoned. Good job I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists.

LAX54

Established Member
Brutal Happy New Year from GA - no trains due to signalling fault between Ingatestone and Chelmsford and buses being summoned. Good job I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists.
all open again now at 1030

Alfie1014

Just passed through the site for the first time this morning, there appears to be a 50mph temporary speed restriction on both roads with up services using the new crossovers to gain access to the centre road and the former up line OOU. Down services use the new down platform line.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just passed through the site for the first time this morning, there appears to be a 50mph temporary speed restriction on both roads with up services using the new crossovers to gain access to the centre road and the former up line OOU. Down services use the new down platform line.
50mph on up & down lines UFN.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I expect the station will attract some traffic from the eastern A414 corridor, i.e. Danbury and the new estates to the west and south of Maldon, which are poorly served by the current station configuration.

THC
I think Boreham more likely. I suspect they never built the station by the A12 next to Boreham because it wouldn't have eased much capacity off Chelmsford main station, which is the prime reason Beaulieu is being built.

A new station is also a great excuse to build a passing loop that could see Norwich IC services sped up in future timetables. Being able to loop Braintree/Colchester stoppers sooner will greatly help.

THC

I think Boreham more likely. I suspect they never built the station by the A12 next to Boreham because it wouldn't have eased much capacity off Chelmsford main station, which is the prime reason Beaulieu is being built.
I fail to see what latent demand from Boreham residents will be met by the opening of Beaulieu Park when the village is already rail-served at its northern end by Hatfield Peverel and is 10 mins in the car from Chelmsford.

BP is on the other hand makes railheading from the eastern A414 much more attractive and which, from the locations I set out above, can also offer the railway new rather than abstractive traffic.

THC

RailWonderer

Established Member
BP is on the other hand makes railheading from the eastern A414 much more attractive and which, from the locations I set out above, can also offer the railway new rather than abstractive traffic.
Abstractive traffic from Chelmsford main is needed to ease capacity at that station, as it tends to be crushloaded in the peaks. Many smaller commuter towns have two stations so Chelmsford will surely benefit from it. Possible future railheading is a bonus effect, and a big benefit to railheaders as parking in Chelmsford is limited and traffic into the town a nightmare in the peaks and easily congested for larger parts of the day as well.

vinnym70

I see a few main groups who will benefit:
  • People who currently drive into Chelmsford who can get to BP more easily
  • People who currently use other stations nearby with infrequent services (Braintree branch- hourly, Hatfield Peverel- roughly half hourly) - some of whom may use Witham and Chelmsford now
  • New residents in the Chelmsford north-east developments (c. 15k new homes planned, I believe)
  • People who will benefit from accessibility to BP by virtue of the Chelmsford North East by-pass when it is complete (potentially attractive to people further West and North West out to Braintree
  • People who will benefit from new bus routes serving BP station
I'll assume parking costs will be on-par with existing so as to try and make it an attractive proposition sooner rather than later?

Does anyone happen to know whether the existing services that start at Chelmsford and Witham in the morning peaks are likely to start at BP in future?

vinnym70

Ten pictures of the project development in the local news website. Apologies, it's a Reach one
Looks like a typical lazy Reach effort. The pics look like stills from the Network Rail timelapse. But, I'm sure the 'trainee multimedia journalist' is yet to hone his craft to the point where we think he made an effort beyond a bit of copy/paste.

fat_boy_pete

Looks like a typical lazy Reach effort. The pics look like stills from the Network Rail timelapse. But, I'm sure the 'trainee multimedia journalist' is yet to hone his craft to the point where we think he made an effort beyond a bit of copy/paste.
Yeah, Reach websites are irritating, but it is the relevant local news website and I wasn't sure if and where those particular photos had been published before.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

There's already a few thousands houses in the area, not to mention much of N. Chelmsford being closer to Beaulieu Park than the existing station. Part of the new road has of course already opened.

You would also expect a decent bus solution because looking at the map, one side is hemmed in by retail parks and the A12 or adeuqate parking.

Does anyone happen to know whether the existing services that start at Chelmsford and Witham in the morning peaks are likely to start at BP in future?

Chelmsford starters probably from the new P3, but Witham passengers would probably be a bit peeved to miss out!

Last edited:

fat_boy_pete

I suspect when the economy picks up, it will be very busy from Colchester towards London so pathing may start there anyway
Well maybe the Beaulieu Park loop might get used for bypass timetabling, as Witham loops sometimes are. If they don't do more skip stopping, any Colchester starter would be full by the time it got there. Perhaps even an additional up loop platform at BP might be needed?

Class 170101

Established Member
I fail to see what latent demand from Boreham residents will be met by the opening of Beaulieu Park when the village is already rail-served at its northern end by Hatfield Peverel and is 10 mins in the car from Chelmsford.

THC
Probably a better service at Beaulieu Park than at Hatfield Peverel I would expect.

New Video from Sam The Trainspotter for Beaulieu Park Construction

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Glad there’s a 50mph TSR both ways. Gives me more time to snout as I drive through.

Adrian1980uk

Glad there’s a 50mph TSR both ways. Gives me more time to snout as I drive through.
And you have the box seat, I do try to have a look but it's pretty much dark when I go passed. It'll be a step forward once opened, interesting to see additional passengers Vs displaced passengers from Chelmsford etc.

dk1

Veteran Member
And you have the box seat, I do try to have a look but it's pretty much dark when I go passed. It'll be a step forward once opened, interesting to see additional passengers Vs displaced passengers from Chelmsford etc.

Yes I’m sort of imagining it will detract quite a bit from Chelmsford which isn’t a bad thing. Completely different I know but when Cambridge North opened Cambridge still kept growing. I do think the South will take a little away however.