• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Becoming an Honorary Welshman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Can anyone give me any advice how I may achieve the above precluding any of the below ;)

1. An unnatural proclivity towards bovine genitalia

2. A culinary appreciation of leeks

3. A liking for communal singing somewhat reminiscent of caterwauling

4. A liking for a sport that uses a spherical rather than round ball

5. An appreciation of indecipherable place names and language

Celtic culture is not as advanced within all it's outposts around the British Isles :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member

With intelligence like that you may get away with claiming you're from Rhyl ;). You could always move back to the Midlands and claim you're drinking Welsh rainfall ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
With intelligence like that you may get away with claiming you're from Rhyl ;). You could always move back to the Midlands and claim you're drinking Welsh rainfall ;)

Are you an expert on number one ? :p

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Can anyone give me any advice how I may achieve the above precluding any of the below ;)

Celtic culture is not as advanced within all it's outposts around the British Isles :p

If your name is Wallace it means 'Welshman' so you've got your link. If it's not, bad luck.
Tim (Wallace):lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
If your name is Wallace it means 'Welshman' so you've got your link. If it's not, bad luck.
Tim (Wallace):lol:

I'm Gromit actually :p

People in some parts of Scotland used to speak Welsh many years ago, fortunately we have not retained that or a desire for carnal knowledge of bovines whilst wearing "Hunters" :p

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I believe that the requirements for the title of Honorary Welshman include the ability to drink 20 pints of Brains SA between midday and 2200 on any Saturday in Cardiff without being sick.

This is why there are very few Honorary Welshmen. Or women.

I shall have to confirm this with the appropriate body, but I also believe it's necessary to know all of the words to at least 8 Max Boyce songs, including at least one from the holy trinity of 'Duw, It's Hard', 'Hymns and Arias' and 'The Pontypool Front Row'.

Butts

Veteran Member
I believe that the requirements for the title of Honorary Welshman include the ability to drink 20 pints of Brains SA between midday and 2200 on any Saturday in Cardiff without being sick.

This is why there are very few Honorary Welshmen. Or women.

I shall have to confirm this with the appropriate body, but I also believe it's necessary to know all of the words to at least 8 Max Boyce songs, including at least one from the holy trinity of 'Duw, It's Hard', 'Hymns and Arias' and 'The Pontypool Front Row'.

Did you overlook the "bovine" aspect of Welsh Culture ?

43021HST

Established Member

If you don't mind me asking, was one under a stage of inebriation whilst concocting this post :lol:.

fergusjbend

If you mean what I think you do, then the word is 'ovine', not 'bovine'. Bovine proclivities require the use of a step-ladder.

Butts

Veteran Member
If you mean what I think you do, then the word is 'ovine', not 'bovine'. Bovine proclivities require the use of a step-ladder.

Ah someone has spotted the deliberate mistake (:oops:) - you are obviously a connoisseur in these matters. Is there any truth in the rumour that a step ladder is a permanent fixture within the confines of your car :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you don't mind me asking, was one under a stage of inebriation whilst concocting this post :lol:.

No, I can't use that excuse for my moronic ramblings :roll:

headshot119

Established Member
Don't forget if you want to an honorary South Walian you need to learn to pronounce "here" in the correct manner!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Will a plaintive cry of "fi oedd yno" count for anything.....or shall I have to go back to my study of Patagonian Welsh...:oops:

Oswyntail

Established Member
I believe that the requirements for the title of Honorary Welshman include the ability to drink 20 pints of Brains SA between midday and 2200 on any Saturday in Cardiff without being sick.....
At my old college (Jesus, Oxford - Coleg Jesu, Rhydychen) there was a group called the "Society of Whales", qualification for which involved downing 12* pints of bitter in an evening. One week the bar had Theakston's Old Peculier as a guest beer - after which it was banned because the Whales all fell asleep after 4 pints.
* If my memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.