• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford to London returning to Milton Keynes / Bletchley on one ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

concerned1

Is there a way of obtaining a return ticket from somewhere on the Marston Vale line that will allow an outward journey from Bedford to London Terminals, returning via Euston to Milton Keynes or Bletchley?

In a perfect world I want to go from Bedford to London With Thameslink/EMT but returning to Milton Keynes Central using Avanti/LNWR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is there a way of obtaining a return ticket from somewhere on the Marston Vale line that will allow an outward journey from Bedford to London Terminals, returning via Euston to Milton Keynes or Bletchley?

In a perfect world I want to go from Bedford to London With Thameslink/EMT but returning to Milton Keynes Central using Avanti/LNWR.
Tickets from Bedford are valid via Bletchley into Euston. However they aren't valid to or via Milton Keynes, unless you have a season ticket routed AAA Milton Keynes.

A Travelcard from Milton Keynes would be valid via/from Bedford, albeit at a slightly higher cost than a ticket from Bedford.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A Travelcard from Milton Keynes would be valid via/from Bedford, albeit at a slightly higher cost than a ticket from Bedford.
I would not expect a hassle free journey using such a ticket.

I agree that tickets from Bedford to London are valid via Bletchley and if the journey is being made at the weekend (or Bank Holiday) there are excellent value fares available from Bedford.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Interesting that the MKC Travelcards haven't been routed Watford Junction as the Bletchley ones have to stop people doing specifically that (and it is only the Travelcards, so it isn't just one of those general cases where they stuck a route in because Any Permitted confused people). I'd agree valid but high risk of hassle if inspected on board (which isn't that likely but there could be RPIs out; guards seem never to do tickets on the Marston Vale any more as working the train from anywhere other than the back cab is too slow and results in losing time). If not inspected on board you'd be fine as the Travelcard element would open the barriers at St Pancras. Probably high risk of not getting through the gateline at Bedford, though.

A ticket from Bedford is going to be the way to do it.

Might however be worth seeing if there are any Advances from Euston to MKC; in that case it may be cheaper to do it as singles. These can be very, very cheap, e.g. under £5 if offered.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would not expect a hassle free journey using such a ticket.

I agree that tickets from Bedford to London are valid via Bletchley and if the journey is being made at the weekend (or Bank Holiday) there are excellent value fares available from Bedford.
Yes, ultimately it's the cheapest valid option. You'd need something like a Hinckley Travelcard for the validity both ways to be unquestionable, which would cost far more.

Status
Not open for further replies.