• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
i just don't like Fullers.

The Becks one is strangly chemically. I had a nice one in an Indian when i was driving - A kingfisher?

WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! close thread.

I take it all back it is grim oop north after all. <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Being an avid ale drinker, one thing I've noticed over the years is how many of the more mainstream ales (Hobgoblin, 6X, Spitfire, Speckled Hen etc) seem to have lost a lot of their character and have become somewhat bland, presumably so that they can appeal to more people and hence increase sales. Luckily, with the proliferation of new breweries over the last fifteen-twenty years, some outstanding and distinctive ales are available which, thanks to national distribution (including Wetherspoons), are widely available.

Trying to think of a favourite ale and can't; too many good one to chose from although Titanic plum porter certainly ranks quite highly.

For those that don't like over-hopped IPAs, the good news is that brewers are starting to focus more on the malt; let's hope it doesn't go too far, otherwise we'll be drinking ale that tastes like Ovaltine.

I also notice that ale made from cannabis is likely to soon be productionised (in Canada - https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/02/canadian-brewer-files-technology-patent-for-cannabis-beer/ ).....

Anybody else on here make homebrew?

Pakenhamtrain

I'm enjoying a nice ale brewed down the road in Geelong called Furphy. I also enjoy a larger called Cricketers Arms Keepers Larger.

Both on tap at two desperate pubs I got to often. Most of the time when I'm out though it's a larger called Carlton Draught mainly because it's on tap everywhere.

SwindonBert

Deep breath. Deep breath. They don't know beer. They are southern. deep breath. Deep, cleansing breath. Go to the happy place................. NO! I cant do it. ARGH! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I like proper, northern, men's ale. Brown, strong, manly. Little finger firmly clamped to the side of the glass, Not fizzy, served with a proper head. Sensible. Pragmatic. Solid. Loyal. Puts hairs on your chest and gives you a deep manly voice and a firm handshake.

We were actually talking about this the other day noting how beer styles have changed to become a lot more light coloured, citrus tasting and seemingly designed to appeal to the lager boys. There isnt much proper, old school ale about. It is all terribly bland and it all seems very fizzy. There has been a resurgence of mild, stout and porter which is good but the old fashioned northern session ale seems to have gone for a burton.

BTW - I am being slightly factitious. Beer is a very personal thing and tastes and styles are different across regions One thing is constant though. Southern beer is always rubbish ;)

BTW 2 - Brewdog. No. That is all.

For most of your points, I totally agree. I don't like the current trend for more citrus flavours, I would prefer a proper traditional beer. As for trendy keg beers @ c£5/pt (& this is not just London) are usually well worth avoiding

However,
Southern beer is always rubbish
you've just not tried enough of the good beers down here - there's plenty in Devon & Cornwall that are definitely proper beer (& I'm not counting Doombar).

Beer head, should be some (shows the beer still has life in it), but I would rather not pay for the copious amounts one can get 'op north'

As for the session beers, they are very hard to find, my local brewery used to do 2Bs - which was a session beer, sadly it's been discontinued

EM2

Established Member
Get yourself a Workie Ticket or a Double Maxim down you. Put hairs on your chest that will ;)
Double Maxim is my absolute favourite, but I've only had it bottled. It was very common when it was brewed by Vaux, but since the buyout it's been much more difficult to find.
I stock up on Lidl's Perlenbacher, which is fine for an after-work wind down beer.
If I'm in a pub, I do prefer pale ales (Ghost Ship is a favourite) but will happily settle for Spitfire, Tanglefoot, Old Speckled Hen etc.
I always peruse the shelves in the supermarket and pick up anything new, just to give them a go. There's not been many I've been disappointed with :D

bnm

Established Member
Rheinbacher Pilsner from Aldi. An excellent German lager and very modestly priced. I'm also partial to Peroni Nastro Azzuro.

I've grown out of my Real Ale phase and returned to lager. Although my main tipple of choice is a quality Gin & Tonic. By quality I mean avoiding Gordons & Schweppes.

Status
Not open for further replies.