• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being on a train alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ21

I've managed a 158 to myself on the Shotts line, due to the services starting/terminating at Carfin. Also the final Chester - Crewe of the night had just me and guard who had worked the incoming service from Llandudno as the only passengers. If I really thought about it there may be more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

One afternoon I boarded at Gainsborough Lea Road and was the only passenger on the train to Doncaster. That was definitely a single unit.

Essan

I have been on the early morning Mallaig-Ft Bill midweek in winter (2 car 156) and been the only passenger in my carriage, but possibly not the only one on the whole train.

And I once had a whole carriage to myself on a morning Pendolino from Brum to Glasgow after we had passed Preston. That was a bit wierd.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I once boarded a HoW train at Ammanford , heading for Swansea - empty - so I asked the Conductor for a priv to Swansea (he said , spotting my all stations pass - you do not need to buy a ticket - but I insisted , wishing to put some modest money into the line)

At Pontardulais , a hiking group of 40 joined -so the train was doing a proper job.

Try the last Xmas Eve , Watford to St Albans - (one year it carried one passenger Watford Junction to Garston - and nobody for the rest of the trip , or the return working which was patronised by on-one)

dgl

Established Member
When it ran the service between Yeovil pen mill and junction at ~21:00 was empty the few times I had used it.

tsr

Established Member
I can remember getting a thumper saloon to myself on either that or a later service.

Quite possibly. Later on in the evening, services drop down to hourly from 2034, so there are usually a couple more passengers per train - nowadays at least.

A couple of months ago, due to a problem at Selhurst Depot, the 0526 East Croydon - Uckfield was run to Oxted and Crowborough only (terminating at the latter). 10 coaches that day, and with no passengers...

Kite159

Veteran Member
04.45 Shrewsbury to Llandrindod and 05.20 Llanelli to Llandovery may be possible contenders, along with 00.23 Milford Haven to Carmarthen, 02.44 Carmarthen to Swansea and 04.50 to Milford Haven

Especially on a bank holiday Monday!

---

The Tayside stopper service had passengers when I did it back in May, both on a Saturday & Monday evening (both times had passengers alighting at Golf Street)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've had a private train on the 06:03 Salisbury - Westbury service a couple times on a Saturday, similar a couple times the 05:27 from Grateley towards Waterloo has been private (until Andover) on some Saturday/Bank Holiday mornings.

I've even had a private 220 on one trip from Basingstoke to Southampton via Laverstock on a Sunday morning before.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I had a freebie trip from Inverness to Elgin on one occasion a few years ago. I can't remember if it was Christmas Eve or Hogmanay, but it was the last train heading that way, and I was the only passenger. The conductor more or less shrugged and said "this one's on me". One eastbound passenger and ECS back the other way must have cost a small fortune. Common sense would suggest it would have been cheaper to put me in a taxi, but I'd imagine it would have cost a lot more if they'd cancelled the service.

Bwlch y Groes

Back in November 2013 I caught the 22:30 Euston-Coventry Pendolino two days in a row (a Monday and a Tuesday) - it takes longer as I think it runs up the slow lines most of the way. There were a small handful on the train but I think I was the only person in the carriage for at least one of those trips

CC 72100

Established Member
I've had a private train on the 06:03 Salisbury - Westbury service a couple times on a Saturday.

That one always amuses me wen you see on Journeycheck that it is shortformed 6 coaches instead of 7... I imagine a parry people mover would still have spare capacity! :lol:

168lover

Don't know if it still exists but there used to be a Saturday only Aylesbury-High Wycombe train mid morning and whenever I travelled on it there were no other passengers on-board.

route:oxford

Established Member
Are there still some "rare metals" that are only available to certain, probably solo, passengers?

For example:-

Until the new bridge was built, Platforms 2&3 at Dunblane were only accessible with stepped access. This meant that passengers with wheelchairs or prams could, on request, remain on board terminating services whilst the service progressed passed the signal box and returned to Platform 1.

Far north 37

Established Member
I had a freebie trip from Inverness to Elgin on one occasion a few years ago. I can't remember if it was Christmas Eve or Hogmanay, but it was the last train heading that way, and I was the only passenger. The conductor more or less shrugged and said "this one's on me". One eastbound passenger and ECS back the other way must have cost a small fortune. Common sense would suggest it would have been cheaper to put me in a taxi, but I'd imagine it would have cost a lot more if they'd cancelled the service.
would it not have had to stop at nairn and forres though?

Gathursty

Established Member
Ormskirk to Preston at the crack of dawn on a Saturday or late at night on a Monday or Tuesday perhaps?
Similarly the Blackpool South and Colne branches.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Me and my dad were the only ones on the Elmer's End to Addiscombe shuttle once, back in the day.

High Dyke

Established Member
Long gone now, but I once had the evening service to Sinfin Central to myself; then again they never did get many people going that way, only back into Derby.

On many occasions the last service from Skegness towards Nottingham has no passengers beyond Sleaford; I don't know if they pick up any at Bingham into Nottingham - service is usually booked for a 2-car unit.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've had Metrocentre Shuttle services to myself usually around the middle of the day on a weekday, though the 2154 Newcastle-MetroCentre usually tends to be empty whenever i've seen it too.

mervyn72

I've had the 2307 from Wakefield Westgate to Knottingley on a 153 all alone full length of journey...

Established Member
I've had the 05:56 Shrewsbury-Cardiff via the Llandrindod to myself the last two times I've used it (as far as Llandrindod). The first time it was a 150, the second time a 153.

Status
Not open for further replies.