• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bendy Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue sabre

I regularly travel on one of Go North East's X40 Bendy buses.
A colleague raised a question about them and I've been puzzling over the answer since:
As they are a powered trailer and a 'dead' tractor so to speak, how come they do not jackknife often and easily?

I couldn't quite figure it out, any ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there are any modern vehicles with unpowered rear sections. Most are powered from the rear.

As for jack-knifing, it does happen.

blue sabre

I don't think there are any modern vehicles with unpowered rear sections. Most are powered from the rear.

As for jack-knifing, it does happen.

So if the front end is unpowered and the rear is surely that would increase the chances of it jack-knifing though?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, especially in forward motion at high speed, at least in theory, although modern engineering makes it far less likely. (Sorry I'm not au fait with the exact details. There was an article in Buses a few years back about this but I can't remember which one. Someone will know.)

mbonwick

Established Member
Most modern designs are rear powered, due to the need for low floors.

However, if you go back a few years, the B10MA was powered by the front section. Although it didn't sell well, several are still in use today.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I recall megabus had one in regular use on the short M90s from Dundee or Perth Broxden to Edinburgh a few years back befor they subcontracted many of these to Edinburgh Coach Lines and it was renumbered M92. Used to really enjoy bashing it, esp over the FRB, SITTING AT THE BACK!

mbonwick

Established Member
In fact, several of the artics with Stagecoach West Scotland are having a weekend out at T in the Park this weekend.

Use at the Commonwealth Games also beckons.

cabbage

If the TCS detects any loss in grip or traction then it applies the brakes.

The bendy buses I drive (scania) restrict power when going around tight corners/performing full lock maneuvers so i'd say it's almost impossible to lose control of a modern bendy bus.

I (luckily) haven't had a chance to drive one in snow yet, that might be a whole other kettle of fish!

starrymarkb

Established Member
The Vanhool Bi-Artics in Geneva have the engine in the leading segment behind the driver, as a result the seating on that side of the bus is rather raised! Apart from some sideways seats on the wheel arches the rest of the bus is low floor

The Bi-Artic trolleybuses had the motors in the mid section

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If the TCS detects any loss in grip or traction then it applies the brakes.

The bendy buses I drive (scania) restrict power when going around tight corners/performing full lock maneuvers so i'd say it's almost impossible to lose control of a modern bendy bus.

I (luckily) haven't had a chance to drive one in snow yet, that might be a whole other kettle of fish!

Saw a picture of a jackknifed bendy in the slush at Victoria Station in London on route 38 a few years ago - believe it was this that led to the Mayor withdrawing all bus services for a few hours the following day, an unprecedented and hysterical over-reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.