• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best boat journey?

dazzler

Well into the past now, but the paddle steamers from Kingston-upon-Hull to New Holland Pier that were operated by BR were a very pleasant way of crossing the Humber.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Not done it for a few years, but the Thames Clipper service through Central London out to Greenwich, seeing London from the river is quite an experience, especially for the price!

The high speed run once you get out of Central London is also very impressive.

Alfie1014

Got to be Hurtigruten Bergen to Kirkenes, especially during the winter northern lights season. Amazing scenery and fascinating to watch the quick turn rounds at the many ports of call.

Acey

Masrch 17th 1973-Horning to Brundall ( Norfolk Broads ) (Honeymoon ) ;)

Southsider

I'd happily do the Berneray to Leverburgh trip again, though not at this time of year. Definitely the most intricate short route I've experienced - highly dependent on visibility of buoys that change their port and starboard orientation half way across, which is alarming until you work out what is going on. Apparently even more exciting when the tide is really low!
Very shallow channels. The regular ferry has water jets rather than propellers because of this. Stand-in vessels are restricted by tides.

Malta to Gozo and Wemyss Bay to Rothsey are my favourites. Stunning scenery on both :D
There’s a vessel which used to serve on the Thames (Woolwich ferry Rose) then the Clyde (Millport ferry Kepple) that now operates out of Gozo.

gomango

Very shallow channels. The regular ferry has water jets rather than propellers because of this. Stand-in vessels are restricted by tides.

There’s a vessel which used to serve on the Thames (Woolwich ferry Rose) then the Clyde (Millport ferry Kepple) that now operates out of Gozo.
I don't know what it was in 2019 when I went on it though

AndrewE

Established Member
When we went from Malta to Gozo the ferry was a small train-ferry from the Netherlands. It still had rails in its car deck and the pedestrians were directed up onto side decks which said "fietsers!" It felt like going up onto the sponsons(?) of a paddle steamer. I never found out where it came from, it was probably before I had access to the internet!

blackfive460

Going back to the early 1970s the MV Loch Arkaig used to sail from Mallaig to Portree calling at Kyle and Rassay a few times a week.
I recall returning from Portree very early in the morning and with the sun just rising that was a spectacular journey!

That route was withdrawn during the 70s and replaced by a ferry from Portree to Rassay, later from Sconser.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Being dutch and restrict myself to direct ferries NL-GB: of the 4 I´ve done, the long since defunct OLAU line Vlissingen-Sheerness I found the best-nice/best views to on both sides. But not very easy connections both side with bus-shuttle, local train etc. Disappeared shortly before Chunnel opened.
There is also the well-known as train-oriented Harwich HOOk vHld, Europoort-Hull (My mother loved it and has been some 20+ times on out+back) and Ijmuiden-Newcastle (nearby there). Vaguely recall also a minor one as Scheveningen-Great Yarmouth or thereabout?

When we went from Malta to Gozo the ferry was a small train-ferry from the Netherlands. It still had rails in its car deck and the pedestrians were directed up onto side decks which said "fietsers!" It felt like going up onto the sponsons(?) of a paddle steamer. I never found out where it came from, it was probably before I had access to the internet!
As dutchie: cannot recall real train ferries in NL. Must most likely have been a local AMSterdam ferry from times before there was even a tunnel and even a bridge along the IJ. The tracks were to shunt freight cars on to some factory on the north side of the water (by towing them on/off!). But this is more reasoning now as real knowledge.

Acfb

I went on a Hamburg paddle steamer round trip at 8PM in the evening at the end of August for at least 2.5 hours in and we went round the Harbour and up the Elbe a bit. We could see all the shipping containers and the Hamburg Finkenwerder Airbus plant. There was a large buffet provided. The weather wasn't the nicest though, it was raining a bit on the top deck.

Before that the last time I can remember going on a boat was the ferry between Kobe Airport and Osaka-Kansai Airport in September 2017 which I really enjoyed, especially as it was such hot sunny weather.

I can't really think of many boat trips I've done in Britain apart from both directions along the Thames from Westminster and that would have been around 20 years ago and a few other little ones such as out to Loch Leven Castle.

Last edited:

james60059

I've always had a soft spot for the Fishguard - Rosslare route (and v.v). Not done it since the M.S. Stena Europe was replaced earlier this year.

elbows47

Going back to the early 1970s the MV Loch Arkaig used to sail from Mallaig to Portree calling at Kyle and Rassay a few times a week.
I recall returning from Portree very early in the morning and with the sun just rising that was a spectacular journey!

That route was withdrawn during the 70s and replaced by a ferry from Portree to Rassay, later from Sconser.
I also used the Loch Arkaig, in 1968 or 1969, on a scheduled route from Mallaig to Inverness, having connected with the early morning train from Glasgow. It was part of my first ever Rail Rover, so has fond memories for me. We had a great lunchtime meal en route for 7/6 (37 1/2p) - Different times!

Established Member
I love a good ferry trip.

Want to do more of the West Scotland routes, did the ferry from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay a bit ago and being out on deck with a cold beer (which remained that way, it wasn't a warm day!) Enjoying the scenery was just perfect.

Did the NorthLink routes back in September, utilising the 20% discount you get with a Highland Rover. Scrabster-Stromness past the Old Man of Hoy is quite something, though the weather was quite poor. Then the ferry from Kirkwall to Lerwick and then back to Aberdeen the following night. Sailing out of Shetland is fantastic, and I even ended up stood on deck at the back talking to a couple from my home town in North West England!

Special mentions go to the Stena Estrid, I love that ship. Many happy memories from the multiple crossings I've done on there. I'd say my favourite was the night crossing back from Dublin, the sunrise was beautiful and there were about 50 passengers on the whole ship, mostly in cabins, so you had tons of space.
I've always had a soft spot for the Fishguard - Rosslare route (and v.v). Not done it since the M.S. Stena Europe was replaced earlier this year.
That was my first ferry crossing to ROI, and my first non UK trip post Covid. So that's always going to be significant to me. I too haven't done it since Stena Nordica came onto the scene, my last crossing was about 2 days before Stena Europe's engine room fire. Had I been on a different line on the roster at work, I'd have been onboard when that happened.

zuriblue

The one that comes to mind are a trip from Zürich to Rapperswil on the Stadt Zürich paddle steamer - ZSG are members of the ZVV fare system so it is included in a day pass. Stadt Zürich has part of the engine room opened up so that you can see the engines working.

Other memorable ones are the Rodby ferry on a Danish IC3 during the Eyjafjallajökull flight shutdown and childhood journeys on the old steam Shields Ferry before the Tyne Tunnel opened.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Malta to Gozo and Wemyss Bay to Rothsey are my favourites. Stunning scenery on both :D

The Fernandes in Malta is pretty class too. Quite loud Europop blaring at times, but the operation is very safe and the Blue Lagoon is a must-see.

hermit

Returning to home waters, the Cowes - East Cowes chain ferry is always fun (when operating). 125 yards, 2 to 3 minutes, the highest cost per mile anywhere (allegedly).

BrandanM

Want to do more of the West Scotland routes, did the ferry from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay a bit ago and being out on deck with a cold beer (which remained that way, it wasn't a warm day!) Enjoying the scenery was just perfect.

Here's one, or two, I took earlier. 1st November this year to be exact.

Attachments

• P1130233.JPG
    P1130233.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 25
  • P1130270.JPG
    P1130270.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 25

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I enjoyed Lausanne - Evian back in the late 90s when the onward trains from Evian were a completely random assortment of ancient dark green UIC and USI stock.

Trains to Evian are very regular now, so boat and train trips on the lake are more doable than ever.

Man of Kent

In the interests of accuracy, Rose was one of the three BR-owned ferries that ran between Tilbury and Gravesend.

philthetube

Established Member
For me it has to be the Ullswater ferries, stunning scenery and the boats are fantastic.

Apparently the oldest passenger carrying things? in year round service.

fandroid

Established Member
Red Funnel (the car carrying ferry) from Southampton to East Cowes is fun, especially if there's a lot of sailing going on in the Solent or big cruise ships or container ships leaving Southampton.

Vancouver to Vancouver Island. Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. Huge ferries weaving their way through the beautiful Gulf Islands.

Azores- evening circular trip on a former Isle of Man Steam Packet co. ferry between the islands of Faial, Pico and Sao Jorge. Flying fish leading the way!

The small current-driven passenger ferries
across the Rhine in Basel, Switzerland

Last edited:

Veteran Member
It doesn't exist now sadly, but the Newcastle to Bergen via Stavanger ferry operated by Color Line was amazing. Called at Stavanger first and then went up through the islands and across the fjord mouths of western Norway until it got to Bergen. Amazing views.
Belated agreement - we did Bergen to "Stavanger West" (a long bus ride from the town) this summer. Decent ship (Fjord Line) which goes overnight to Hirtshals at the top of Jutland.

sh24

Star Ferry, Hong Kong.

Honourable mention for the entry/exit from Stockholm which is beautiful in mid summer. Ferry to the Åland Islands to visit the Pommern, a fascinating piece of transport history.