• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

best fares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any 1 know the best fares for:

Cardiff Central-Birmingham
Cardiff Central-London Paddington
& Cardiff Central-London Waterloo

Look forward to any helpful advice or fare details.

Many thanks

Joe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

For Birmingham I think it is cheapest to buy 1 ticket to Gloucester and then another from there.
Similarly, for Paddington when I looked recently it was cheapest to split first to Swindon, and then Didcot.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
For Cardiff to Waterloo, I assume you're going via Salisbury. If that is the case, then you have two options:

Buying a Route Warminster-Salisbury ticket (considerably cheaper than the Any Permitted!)

Splitting the fares at Salisbury. I haven't checked that's definately the best option, but should be right. Only much use if you're coming back the same day mind!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you asking for the best combination of walk-on fares? (that is how it has been interpreted so far) If so, it depends on what time of day you want to travel, are you combing back the same day, etc?

Or are you asking for the cheapest Advance fares?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, for Cardiff-Birmingham you can split at Cheltenham or Gloucester (it makes no difference).

There is no Off Peak Day fare from Cardiff to Cheltenham so if travelling back same day you can get the Anytime Day from there, and then Off Peak Day from Cheltenham or Gloucester. This would be valid on the 08:45 from CDF.

A through ticket from CDF to BHM on the 08:45 would cost a shocking £62.00, compared to £33.50 by splitting. That's a saving of nearly 50%!

For Cardiff-London, as documented before in this section splitting at Swindon and Didcot is cheapest (for more details do a search for previous topics, or download the Avantix Traveller software and have a play with that to see the fares). Going via Salisbury is slow, but have a play with Avantix and see if there's an option worth doing - as suggested by Techniquest splitting at Salisbury might work.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Splitting the fares at Salisbury. I haven't checked that's definately the best option, but should be right. Only much use if you're coming back the same day mind!
Rather than buying a Salisbury - London ticket check whether it's cheaper to buy from Bristol Temple Meads - London (route Warmster-Salsbry) as a number of ticket types (OPD, SCO, SDS) are cheaper from Temple Meads, and the CDR is the same price.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bristol Temple Meads - London Waterloo

cdr - off-peak day r swt
00800 - warmster-salsbry

1 adult @£ 36.50 = £ 36.50

restriction : C4
restriction applies: Monday to
friday only. No travel
restrictions on other days.

Outward travel

by any train scheduled to
arrive london terminals or
kensington olympia at or after

Return travel

by any train

sco - sup offpk day r swt
00800 - warmster-salsbry

1 adult @£ 29.90 = £ 29.90

restriction : Be
outward travel:

By any train except those
scheduled to arrive at
london terminals or kensington
olympia mondays - fridays
before 1200 and connecting
trains.

Return travel:

By any train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I never thought the day return would be available from Bristol. I just remembered you can get one from Trowbridge, but Bristol I assumed would be an Off-Peak Return. I've learnt something today!

Others have mentioned Cardiff to London is best to split at Swindon and Didcot Parkway. I ought to add that a day return is also available from Swansea to Swindon, so for Pontyclun Pacer he ought to be able to buy an Off-Peak Day Return from Pontyclun to Swindon and split again as already mentioned at Didcot Parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.