• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best looking/historic stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
The great trainsheds on the ECML; Newcastle, Darlington and York. Bristol TM (once the refurbishment is complete and all the scaffolding has gone). At the smaller end, several of the intermediate stations on the Newcastle - Carlisle line; Knaresborough. I believe Frome is the last of Brunel's train sheds.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Birmingham Moor Street has already been mentioned but a lot of the out stations the North Warwick Line (Tyseley to Stratford upon Avon via Shirley) are also still in period GWR style, as is Leamington Spa.

brad465

Established Member
If they're considered historic enough I like the main buildings at Margate and to a lesser extent Ramsgate.

Trainlog

My favourites have to be

• Alton (NR and Mid hants sections) A lot of the mainline station is in BR region green and its great that NR is playing along with the historic theme so that it blends in with the Mid Hants northern terminus
  • Leamington Spa - Do like the amount of references that are around the station and the GWR paint scheme.
  • Exeter St Davids - do like the fact that there is still a lot of platform decorations such as weighing scales
There are probably others i have been to but haven't come to mind.

delt1c

Established Member
Wemyss Bay and Glasgow Central.
Have to agree both have retained there historic charm but fit in with modern needs.

Birmingham Moor Street and St Pancras International.
At Pancras it has retained its facade, but internally is nothing like it was. Moor St I agree still has its character

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
If people are going for the great trainsheds on the east coast, then you have to mention Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Line St on the West Coast
I have a soft spot for Oxford Rd but it needs a tart up.
And Carlisle is good.

Smaller stations - Bingley, Hellifield and Settle....

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hebden Bridge, complete with remarkably discreet modern lifts

Huddersfield
Hebden I'd say is more historic in terms of presentation. Huddersfield is magnificent from the outside but once you're through the ticket barriers it's a bit of a nothing-burger. The mixture of features from different eras with no attempt to integrate them together doesn't help, nor does the "make do and mend" attitude that has understandably crept in with the upcoming revamp for the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade.

Hebden is more low-key, but the modern features that had to be added have been done much more sympathetically.

Sorcerer

Another vote for St. Pancras here, and also possibly for Liverpool Lime Street with it's hotel entrance and the fact it's the oldest operational mainline terminus in the world (I think anyway).

WizCastro197

Established Member
I've always thought Nottingham was quite good looking historically, with its two concourses.

Status
Not open for further replies.