• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Train spotting stations (updated)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Leamington Spa, Preston, Carlisle.

(Stay clear of platform edges !!.)

TheSmiths82

York would one place that comes to mind, I am not a train spotter but there is always something interesting that pulls in York and gets me a bit excited and start taking pictures of it.

paul1609

Established Member

Revilo

Has the obnoxious home owner moved or given up his aggression? I gather he didn’t like people using the station other than for (quietly) catching trains.
I think he’s moved to Altnabreac!

Babybirdrobin

My list (These may've been mentioned):

Liverpool Street (Walk through, move on)
Bethnal Green (Good for spotting trains on the hill out of Liverpool Street)
South Kenton (Bowling is an issue but can be great if you get lucky)
Harrow and Wealdstone (I used to used use this more but I have more switched to South Kenton, more hospitable though for long periods (like needing food))
Crewe (Variety, Great shots from the end of the long platform with passing trains)
Doncaster (A lot of interesting things)
Liverpool (Lime St and Central/Moorfield/James Steet) - Nice stations to spot Merseyrail (All but Lime St) and NR.
King's Cross/St. Pancras (Better for walking through)
Brent Cross West (My main Spotting Location for the MML, although slightlly annoying pinning unit numbers down with RTT as BCZ is not listed on EMR services)
Stratford (Good freight, great spots from county end of 10a)
Clapham Junction (I feel like this is obvious :lol: )
York (A lot to spot)
Queenstown road (Good for spotting SWR at Speed
Rugby (Nice for spotting High Speed services)
Glasgow Central/Queen St (See STP/KGX)
Partick (Great for spotting ex-BR OLE electrics)
New Street (Good diesel variety)
Man Pic. (All the stock)
Cardiff central (Good for a lot of welsh stock)

There is definately a lot more than that, I'm still looking for more, feel free to add to my list and I'll update it with suggestions

Established Member
Theres a few. That havent been mentioned or more likely I've missed on here, Water Orton in the Midlands, Wandsworth Road and Stratford in London. Lacking a few facilities at Water Orton and Wandsworth Road.

ac6000cw

Established Member
In East Anglia, Peterborough, Ely and Ipswich are all busy places frequented by enthusiasts, with a good mix of passenger and freight workings, plus decent refreshments either on the station or very nearby. Ely is also very good for a walk along the riverside while still keeping the trains in view (although you might need binoculars to read the numbers in some places along the way).

My list (These may've been mentioned):

Liverpool Street (Walk through, move on)
Bethnal Green (Good for spotting trains on the hill out of Liverpool Street)
South Kenton (Bowling is an issue but can be great if you get lucky)
Harrow and Wealdstone (I used to used use this more but I have more switched to South Kenton, more hospitable though for long periods (like needing food))
Crewe (Variety, Great shots from the end of the long platform with passing trains)
Doncaster (A lot of interesting things)
Liverpool (Lime St and Central/Moorfield/James Steet) - Nice stations to spot Merseyrail (All but Lime St) and NR.
King's Cross/St. Pancras (Better for walking through)
Brent Cross West (My main Spotting Location for the MML, although slightlly annoying pinning unit numbers down with RTT as BCZ is not listed on EMR services)
Stratford (Good freight, great spots from county end of 10a)
Clapham Junction (I feel like this is obvious :lol: )
York (A lot to spot)
Queenstown road (Good for spotting SWR at Speed
Rugby (Nice for spotting High Speed services)
Glasgow Central/Queen St (See STP/KGX)
Partick (Great for spotting ex-BR OLE electrics)
New Street (Good diesel variety)
Man Pic. (All the stock)
Cardiff central (Good for a lot of welsh stock)

There is definately a lot more than that, I'm still looking for more, feel free to add to my list and I'll update it with suggestions
1:how long did that take to send?!
2:i agree!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I think the top of Platform 2/3 at Euston is worth mentioning here.
Further up than all the other platforms (except platform 1) and great views of trains as they enter/leave (can get a bit loud).

Euston station from the top of Platform 2/3, 4 Class 390s are visible.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think the top of Platform 2/3 at Euston is worth mentioning here.
Further up than all the other platforms (except platform 1) and great views of trains as they enter/leave (can get a bit loud).

View attachment 155897
If you're doing photos, though, platform 15? The other long one in the far side of your picture; from that one the sun will be behind you instead of in front of you.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
If you're doing photos, though, platform 15? The other long one in the far side of your picture; from that one the sun will be behind you instead of in front of you.
Most of the times I've been there it's been too cloudy to notice.

I usually just go to whatever platform my train is due to be out of and watch from the top of it, turns out a decent amount of the fast (first stop Warrington) trains leave from 2/3.

1D54

Bethnal Green isn't quite as good as it was as the 345's no longer pass by but still worth a couple of hours before heading to Stratford.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Dont the staff not like trainsporters alot?
I've never had any problems trying to train spot at Euston, although I do admit the number of times is about 5, spread over 3 years.

I just get to the platform very early, either walk straight on or pass through the open barriers and walk up to the top of the platform.
Whenever I've passed staff they've just been talking amongst themselves and not given me any trouble.