• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best trainspotting station in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william.martin

On Moderation
Hello there everyone, I was just wandering what your opinions are on the best trainspotting station in the UK (not including locations E.G you could have Barmouth but not Barmouth Bridge.)
In my opinion it is Dawlish Warren as you get a good variety train classes + an opportunity to get overtaking shots.
However my main reason for choosing said station is because you also got a variety of railtours rocking up sometimes 2-3 times a week in the Summer.
This is also where I had a bit of Miracle when I was at the fun fair (right next to the station) I looked up at the railway line and what can I see? It's duchess of Sutherland pulling away from the station!
This is where it gets weird, the night before I had a dream about seeing duchess of Sutherland passing through even though I was completely unaware!
Anyway, seeing it triggered me to check RTT and only to find it would passing back through at 6 in the evening however non stop in the fast lines.
8 hours later it comes roaring through accelerating up to 80MPH.

I would like to hear your favourite station for spotting and why (I would also love to hear about any quirky little miracles like mine!)

Kind regards Will.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
On the right day, Crewe. You have Pendos barrelling through at 80mph, lots of activity going on and then a railtour turns up and has a good old-fashioned Loco change with a Kettle involved, gleaming if it's from LSL. Also plenty of freight going on around and through the station. On a really good day you can get 2 or 3 steam-hauled tours at Crewe as well.
I suspect Doncaster shares many of these features, but I've never hung around on the station to see what it's like (I don't spot per se, just have spent a little bit of time at Crewe when involved with NR).

william.martin

On Moderation
On the right day, Crewe. You have Pendos barrelling through at 80mph, lots of activity going on and then a railtour turns up and has a good old-fashioned Loco change with a Kettle involved, gleaming if it's from LSL. Also plenty of freight going on around and through the station. On a really good day you can get 2 or 3 steam-hauled tours at Crewe as well.
I suspect Doncaster shares many of these features, but I've never hung around on the station to see what it's like (I don't spot per se, just have spent a little bit of time at Crewe when involved with NR).
How have I never thought to visit Crewe even though it's just up the road!
I have always known it to be a railway town however after 15 years of living just up the road I have never visited.
Definitely one on my list of things to do this year!

Donny_m

On Moderation
Anywhere with a lot of freight, or knackered old stock, no interest in modern passenger trains personally.

zwk500

Veteran Member
How have I never thought to visit Crewe even though it's just up the road!
I have always known it to be a railway town however after 15 years of living just up the road I have never visited.
Definitely one on my list of things to do this year!
Check the railtour schedules, especially of you don't have too much time. Depending on how interested you are in the older stuff, of course. It's a shame the Electric depot isn't visible from the station.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I did not know Dawlish had four tracks ?.

For me it was Birmingham New Street. A great variety of traction (all those loco changes involving AC electrics with 45s, 46s & 47s plus not enough Westerns) and a lot of long distance trains. Granted very little freight. Oh the aroma of diesel fumes !.

Donny_m

On Moderation
I did not know Dawlish had four tracks ?.

For me it was Birmingham New Street. A great variety of traction (all those loco changes involving AC electrics with 45s, 46s & 47s plus not enough Westerns) and a lot of long distance trains. Granted very little freight. Oh the aroma of diesel fumes !.

Dawlish Warren. 2 stoppers 2 through tracks.

Bill57p9

I spent many happy days at Crewe when I was younger..
For me, one thing that detracts from Crewe are the freight avoiding lines.

Peterborough has a fair variety of passenger workings plus regular freight. York too, from the far southern ends of the platforms.

mrcheek

Established Member
I am a rail enthusiast, but not a spotter.

But the most popular stations seem to be Doncaster and Carlisle, always lots of people on the platforms there with cameras set up.

From a personal point of view I will agree with Dawlish/Dawlish Warren, unquestionably the most beautiful stretch of line in the country.

Ken H

On Moderation
Crewe and Carlisle already covered. But the west end overbridge at Leeds is good. Pity you cant see the north side bays though.
One i like is Shipley. I like leccy trains and watching them fan out in 4 directions is good. And the odd Carlisle or Morecambe. Need a dry day and be quite fit though! Memories of it having modernisation plan DMUs doing curious reversing moves under semaphores help.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Tamworth. 4-track WCML below, 2-track XC route above. Plentiful freight on both routes.
Ah yes. I used to go Tamworth as an alternative to New Street. Challenge was the staff used to throw us off the station (last half of the 1970s). It was a healthy mix of freight and passenger.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
For sheer number-taking panic stations on your first visit to third-rail land, Clapham Junction in the peak hour
Absolutely. Clapham Junction is by far and away the busiest station in the UK and almost all 10 and 12 coach trains *. Blew my Grandaughters mind in 20 minutes last summer.

* = She said 700s are so much easier (one number for all 12 coaches).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't spot but surely it depends on what you want. There is so little variety that it must get boring very quickly. It is not like when I was a lad, etc etc.
Tamworth. 4-track WCML below, 2-track XC route above. Plentiful freight on both routes.
but it is an awful station, especially in the cold and the wet - the facilities are very poor .

66701GBRF

I thought all, or at least the majority, of freight avoided the station (Crewe)?

zwk500

Veteran Member
I thought all, or at least the majority, of freight avoided the station (Crewe)?
NR wants everything to use the independent lines, but operators keep asking to route through the station. It saves a lot of time and can be operationally much more convenient for them. I think there are some crew changes booked in the platforms, as well as non-stop freight being able to take advantage of the higher speeds and direct route. It also avoids getting caught up in crew changes or shunting happening at Basford Hall. This was all pre-covid though, I've no idea if they've all shifted over to the Independents now.

WizCastro197

Established Member
As I said earlier, but didn't have time to develop on: I do think Eastleigh is interesting. I don't spot, as it isn't my kind of area in the enthusiasm, but when I do go to Eastleigh for other purposes, I do like to allot some time to look at some of the vast variety of trains available. Not just the voyagers, desiros and sprinters, but also the freight traffic from the adjacent yard.

Redhill has some freight traffic, but at this point, I am just promoting a hopeless cause. ;)

50002Superb

Would definitely recommend Ealing Broadway for spotting as you get some decent freight chucked in.

Stratford is good too

william.martin

On Moderation
As I said earlier, but didn't have time to develop on: I do think Eastleigh is interesting. I don't spot, as it isn't my kind of area in the enthusiasm, but when I do go to Eastleigh for other purposes, I do like to allot some time to look at some of the vast variety of trains available. Not just the voyagers, desiros and sprinters, but also the freight traffic from the adjacent yard.

Redhill has some freight traffic, but at this point, I am just promoting a hopeless cause. ;)
Sadly I wouldn't have a reason other than for trainspotting to visit these places as I do not make trips for the single purpose of spotting however if I'm in an area I might spend a few hours.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Sadly I wouldn't have a reason other than for trainspotting to visit these places as I do not make trips for the single purpose of spotting however if I'm in an area I might spend a few hours.
It isn’t too far from Southampton, so a trip there (if you have purpose of course) and to Eastleigh could be achieved only if you wished.

Train-spotting for me seems only if I am in the right area at the right time and if I have sufficient time.

william.martin

On Moderation
Would definitely recommend Ealing Broadway for spotting as you get some decent freight chucked in.

Stratford is good too
I've never visited Ealing Broadway however had a good time at Stratford in Easter this year (saw a double class 720 being dragged!!!)

william.martin

On Moderation
It isn’t too far from Southampton, so a trip there (if you have purpose of course) and to Eastleigh could be achieved only if you wished.
I am glad you said that as I actually have a person iny family who is goal keeper for the Southampton B - team and I'm planning on watching him play soon so if it's a home game I might check it out - may I ask how regularly trains stop/ pass through the station?

WizCastro197

Established Member
I am glad you said that as I actually have a person iny family who is goal keeper for the Southampton B - team and I'm planning on watching him play soon so if it's a home game I might check it out - may I ask how regularly trains stop/ pass through the station?
Waterloo-Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke is the main service provided and that is once per hour. There is also the services to Southampton which there seems to be 2 per hour.

william.martin

On Moderation
Waterloo-Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke is the main service provided and that is once per hour. There is also the services to Southampton which run hourly as well.
Interesting, I am very unfamiliar with the area so I shall have to investigate further however after a quick look at RTT seems to get a decent service.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'd say Queenstown Road (Battersea). The reason is because one single place for the whole SWR fleet.

william.martin

On Moderation
I'd say Queenstown Road (Battersea). The reason is because one single place for the whole SWR fleet.
Had a bit of a panic, for a second I though you put Queensland (Australia)!
Sound quite good however it would only be if I had any spare time in my annual London spotting trip/ sightseeing trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.