• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best/worst cup of tea on rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEW

Established Member
I seem to remember a half-decent one at Teignmouth, but that was ten years ago, so it might not be there any more. Anyone know better?

Still an independent run cafe on the station. Had a cup of coffee from there last year and seem to remember it being reasonably priced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
Always been a big fan of the cafe on Bolton station, before the Mad Cow disease was known I had a cheeseburger and hot chocolate there and that was the best burger ive had ever had !! as for the hot chocolate that is delicious aswell.

Huddersfield is very good aswell, if anyone passes through or gets a day ranger the Pub/buffet on the platform at Stalybridge does piping hot meals and a good cuppa aswell as a good pint and the hot meals are very reasonably priced and good portions
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think the buffet on Totnes station deserves a mention, cracking little place and very friendly staff, the cuppa is very nice as is the bacon sandwich

mullin

I have honestly never thought of trying the place, shall do next time I'm stranded there for almost an hour! Last time, I asked in the ticket office if there was anything to do or see around here, was met with 'there's a bakery just off the car park. other than that, there's nothing'. Yes, it's that bad!

Clip

Established Member
Whilst ill never let on who I work for I can say that I have the best variety of tea on the rail network and I always make a good brew..

Maybe one day you can enjoy a pot with me..

wintonian

Established Member
Avoid the Pumpkin at Basingstoke, every time I have had the coffee there it has been an undrinkable cup of luke warm milk, I honestly do not know if they actually use anything that could be vaguely described as coffee. There is also a incredibility rude member of staff there who seems to take utter delight in there publicly vocal contempt for customers, I am quite shocked they still work there.

The best cuppa tea IMO used to be the lemon tree (either one) at Southampton Central on plt 1 I could sit on a stool in the window see the departures screan and watch the trains come and go, but someone decided to renovate the café, removing the window ledge and plonking a Ritzla in the way.

The Lemon Tree at Portsmouth & Southsea isn't bad for the old nostalgia but it does come in Pumpkin cups.

Brockenhurst when I was at college and the café/ shop had just opened used to do a fantastic hot chocolate.

Not on the railway but the coffee in steerage on Irish Ferries is another one to avoid at all costs. I thought I would travel over without upgrading for once took one sip of the coffee that was produced got up and walked upstairs paid my 16€ for some coffee that is actually rather good as well are the free wine and nibbles.

CalMac don't do a bad cupa either IMO.

And why is it you have to have a coffee with a fancy name? Why can't you just have something that is hot wet and tastes like coffee with a bit of milk, added grease like you get on chip vans could be an optional extra?

I relies I have gone on mostly about coffee, whares I used to drink mostly tea I find it takes too long to cool down whilst travelling these days.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've been in recently and it was - website is here.

Don't remember seeing that, all I saw was the one that is part of the same chain as the ones at Lancaster and Barrow-in-Furness.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We have new entry - I had a decent brew on ATW yesterday served by a friendly and very attractive stewardess.

It wasnt Tetley or PG P*ss - it was something organc and in Welsh. It was both enjoyable and refreshing and moves ATW to a very creditbale third place in my on board tea quality league table of power and brilliance!

Established Member
Don't remember seeing that, all I saw was the one that is part of the same chain as the ones at Lancaster and Barrow-in-Furness.

The Refreshment Rooms are at Carnforth - didn't notice any other coffee places there but wasn't looking. Never stopped off at Oxenholme so can't comment, but the chain one at Barrow isn't very good.

wintonian

Established Member
The Refreshment Rooms are at Carnforth - didn't notice any other coffee places there but wasn't looking. Never stopped off at Oxenholme so can't comment, but the chain one at Barrow isn't very good.

Oh got confused again.

I thought it was quite good for somewhere the size of Barrow with a lagre waiting room with some nice tables and chairs, I assume these are maintained by the cafe.

Michael.Y

Established Member
We have new entry - I had a decent brew on ATW yesterday served by a friendly and very attractive stewardess.

It wasnt Tetley or PG P*ss - it was something organc and in Welsh. It was both enjoyable and refreshing and moves ATW to a very creditbale third place in my on board tea quality league table of power and brilliance!

Interesting.... Doesn't ring any bells with me -- I serve Cafe Direct Fairtrade, Lichfields Fairtrade and Earl Gray Fairtrade - unless Aberystwyth stewards have something different.

We've started Starbucks Via today - £2.20 for a 300ml (as opposed to our standard 200ml) coffee. Takes up a lot of our hot water mind.

Established Member
I thought it was quite good for somewhere the size of Barrow with a lagre waiting room with some nice tables and chairs, I assume these are maintained by the cafe.

Think they are, although the cafe seems to be quite expensive. Plus there is a Spoons about 5 minutes walk on the way into the town centre.

tirphil

Interesting.... Doesn't ring any bells with me -- I serve Cafe Direct Fairtrade, Lichfields Fairtrade and Earl Gray Fairtrade - unless Aberystwyth stewards have something different.

We've started Starbucks Via today - £2.20 for a 300ml (as opposed to our standard 200ml) coffee. Takes up a lot of our hot water mind.

There are no female stewards at Aber, although stewardesses from other locations do travel over The Cambrian. I will try and find out the tea DarloRich is talking about.

BTW best tea I know of is from The Sidings station cafe at Mach station. Top stuff.

Michael.Y

Established Member
There are no female stewards at Aber, although stewardesses from other locations do travel over The Cambrian. I will try and find out the tea DarloRich is talking about.

Yup, the Salop staff, my colleagues ;)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Best tea on a train is from the Cally Sleeper. Always quality. Still did not get my usual complimentary shortbread with it this morning - a strongly worded letter of complaint will be forwarded shortly - does one think the "Daily Mail" may be interested perchance? :p

Best cup of tea on a station - Stalybridge Buffet Bar! Before the purists cringe, yes I do drink real ale as well (happily)! Best cup of tea on a train - TPE!

pitdiver

Best tea on a train is from the Cally Sleeper. Always quality. Still did not get my usual complimentary shortbread with it this morning - a strongly worded letter of complaint will be forwarded shortly - does one think the "Daily Mail" may be interested perchance? :p

You could always claim you were a Local Politician and dare I say one who is from an ethnic minority. Made to suffer due to the fact you went without your ethnic food.;)

tsr

Established Member
- a strongly worded letter of complaint will be forwarded shortly -

Make sure you include all the details you can possibly lay your hands on, such as the headcode, details of the train from the WTT, full latitude/longitude of and identifying details of the nearest TIPLOC to the point where shortbread was not offered, proof of purchase of the ticket, photographic evidence of the interior and exterior of the train (complete with lack of shortbread), expected brand of shortbread, proof that said shortbread could have been available, and a suggested rate for compensation, in addition to any fee you need to charge them for your subsequent shortbread-hunting expedition. In addition, you may wish to charge them for your secretary's time in writing the letter, paper, ink, postage, tea and biscuits consumed in writing the letter, counselling for your staff and yourself, and Scotrail's dinner money. All of it. Bonus marks will be given for references to popular and/or obscure Scottish culture, including quotes from Burns' least known works. "Nae, for there be lack o'bret' o'shortness..."

;)

island

Veteran Member
sounds good! Proof I think that our railway wouldnt be what it is without tea!

Back in the day it was also used as a reward when the fireman had to walk off to a signal cabin to sign the register if the signal was at danger for too long :)

Status
Not open for further replies.