• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best year for railways in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
In your opinion, which year was or is the moment when Britain's railways were at their best? (in terms of stock, stations, passenger numbers, investment, prestige or anything else).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Right now in terms of stations, stock, passenger numbers, investment and prestige.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Right now in terms of stations, stock, passenger numbers, investment and prestige.

In terms of stock, I‘d say some time in the late seventies/early eighties. Before the SUB‘s were withdrawn but after the introduction of the IC125.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In terms of stock, I‘d say some time in the late seventies/early eighties. Before the SUB‘s were withdrawn but after the introduction of the IC125.

Ah yes but depends on what you're going for ;)

In terms of enthusiast interest I'd probably agree that sometime late 70s early 80s would definitely be a strong contender for 'best year'. But to my mind in terms of operational efficiency and service delivery the unit heavy railway we have today is probably superior.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah yes but depends on what you're going for ;)

In terms of enthusiast interest I'd probably agree that sometime late 70s early 80s would definitely be a strong contender for 'best year'. But to my mind in terms of operational efficiency and service delivery the unit heavy railway we have today is probably superior.

I was going for comfort :D

Tricky choice for me because by including the SUB‘s, I of course had to leave out 158‘s and 156‘s. Early 90‘s would have been a strong contender being after the introduction of those units but before the withdrawal of EPB‘s.

Harlesden

I would say the 1950's and early 1960's when the most noticeable positive thing about the railways was the enthusiasm shown for their work and the people they served by those employed on the railways.
I accept that today there are many dedicated men and women, but not only are they struggling under an ever increasing burden of inefficient lackadaisical management along with endless rules andregulations, but the resulting stress sucks out the pride they might otherwise have felt in keeping the country moving. Life on the raulways in the 1950's was busier but at the same time less stressful.
Also in the 1950's,there was a solid determination tokeep the trains running even under the most challenging conditions - whereas today the service is suspended or severely disrupted at the first sign of snow.

tbtc

Veteran Member

in terms of operational efficiency and service delivery the unit heavy railway we have today is probably superior

Agreed - we've never had it so good when measured against most statistics - passenger numbers/ trains operated etc. Other than the one sad death at Grayrigg in 2007 I'm struggling to think of the last "train" fatality.

In terms of nostalgic things then its all been downhill since the days of 47/7s in ScotRail livery (and everything built after I left school has been rubbish :lol:), but realistically we could all say the same about the stock that we grew up with.

The most important thing is that with hundreds of miles of electrification/ Crossrail/ HS2/ Thameslink/ Ordsall Chord etc on the horizon, we're getting "jam tomorrow" too.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
IN terms of National coverage , with main line service standards - probably 1910. Subsidised by massive freight carryings.

Each era has landmarks - 1930;s Southern Electric for example - 1960's West Coast electrification.

BR around 1987 was probably the most democratic , affordable and efficient railway ever seen in the UK. All round. Not just cherry picking.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, there's been a number. Sometime around 1880 would probably be best for the railways. They were utterly dominent, except for some minor competition from coastal steamers, had some wonderful express trains running throughout the country, with the Race to the North about to get going and the broad gauge Flying Dutchman still running. Also nearly the best for geographic coverage (before the GC London Extension, but that served many places that already had a station). There were drawbacks, many local lines had stock that made Pacers look like the last word in luxury, but it was improving. The other problem was safety. Not only were they racing express passenger trains, brakes tended to be rather unreliable. Signalling was also improving, but not up to good standards.

For service, probably 1908. The Edwardian railways were nearly as dominent as before, with private cars incredibly rare. We had Atlantics on the Great Northern, Compounds on the Midland, 4-6-0s beginning to appear on the LNWR and GWR and some of the most comfortable coaches ever made. Even basic local coaches were remarkably comfortable. Safety had improved, although there were still problems with brakes on passenger trains, but signalling was now very good.

We had to wait until 1938, with its steam world speed record and introduction of the Coronation before we got near those standards. The streamliners probably prodiced the most comfortable coaches ever to run in this country, I've only experienced the observation cars, but they were less comfortable than the main coaches. However, the railways were losing out to road and early air competition. Goods revenues had taken a big hit from the Depression, and had not recovered yet. Some Victorian relics were still around as well, although there were plans to sort that out.

1988 is another good example (the first in my lifetime). It's the year that the ECML electrification went live, the year Mallard 88 ran and just before NSE's standards took a dip when they replaced 50s and MkIIs with Turbos and 159s. The railways were growing for the first time for decades, and there was hope that IC225 would be followed up by IC250 (thanks for nothing, Mr Major <( ).

Established Member
Has to be the 80's early 90's for me, especially summer Saturday's when the freight loco's added even more spice to the proceedings, by then trainspotting, had went up a notch, my friends and I were itching to travel to different area's to underline other regions loco's in our books, now we were old enough to be trusted and provided there was enough of us, away we went, after a few trips we soon twigged on, that we could travel behind new loco's, not just spot them, that's when we discovered the term bashing and the advantage of trying to talk foreman into giving us a TOPS report. Then a lad at school told us about joining Rail Riders and their vouchers, we got the address and got our applications filled in and sent off, with about 8 of us joining Rail Riders that same week, afterwards we all seemed to be sending off endlessly for more vouchers or lending each other some, till you got yours through the post. Now we weren't just doing stuff locally, we now had scope to travel far and wide riding behind everything with a diesel loco that pulled a few coaches, HST's(trams) and DMU's(bog carts) were a no go unless absolutely vital. Even now, I still believe a 101 was a damn sight more comfortable over the Tyne Valley or down the Durham Coast than a 143. Now if I travel by rail, I find out which is an HST turn, rather than travel behind a 91 or a Voyager, again unless vital, how times have changed.

scarby

Probably around 1961, when BR had recently introduced a lot of new coaching stock, DMUs and class 40s and so on and the vandals hadn't yet really got their teeth into tearing up lines, ripping station roofs down, etc.

davetheguard

Established Member
1. Early 1930s before any closures of note took place
2. B.R. under sectorisation, particularly on Network South East - one railway for London!
3. Now......

Tiny Tim

I think it must be 1910. The last gasp of the Edwardian era saw all our present-day mainlines complete, plus a network of branch lines that served many rural areas. Motorised vehicles had yet to eat into the profitability of most railway companies, and even though many country lines didn't really pay their way, the losses were swallowed up in the revenues from other routes. For most people, train travel was the only way to go. Block signalling was almost universal, and even the worst carriages were enclosed and upholstered. Whilst many improvements in rolling stock were yet to happen, all passengers travelled in reasonable conditions. Journey times, at least on mainlines, were such that no other form of transport could compete. Britain's roads didn't bear the strain of juggernaut lorries, as freight travelled almost exclusively by rail. Newspapers and post reached everywhere on the mainland within a day.

Bevan Price

Established Member
No single "best" year in my opinion. Before my time, but good years were probably 1913 and 1938, just before the World Wars. Fast steam operated services being steadily introduced, before the wars led to decreased maintenance. Then probably about 1959/1960 when the neglect during WW2 had largely been cleared, and passenger train speeds were recovering to pre-war levels.

Then about 1974/1976 - WCML electrification completed to Glasgow, and the first HSTs starting to enter service.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I think it must be 1910. The last gasp of the Edwardian era saw all our present-day mainlines complete, plus a network of branch lines that served many rural areas. Motorised vehicles had yet to eat into the profitability of most railway companies, and even though many country lines didn't really pay their way, the losses were swallowed up in the revenues from other routes. For most people, train travel was the only way to go. Block signalling was almost universal, and even the worst carriages were enclosed and upholstered. Whilst many improvements in rolling stock were yet to happen, all passengers travelled in reasonable conditions. Journey times, at least on mainlines, were such that no other form of transport could compete. Britain's roads didn't bear the strain of juggernaut lorries, as freight travelled almost exclusively by rail. Newspapers and post reached everywhere on the mainland within a day.

I concur, although the terrible accident on the S & C that year leaves things a little tainted.

Tiny Tim

In 1910 both the Hawes Junction and Quintinshill accidents were yet to occur, but despite this signalling had very much improved by this time. Both accidents were the result of multiple human errors, and not due to any failure of the signalling itself.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Profits were down by 1910 , the Edwardian Golden Age was a myth - so the railways might have been at a Golden Age for interest for the enthusiast "railwayacs" but not good economically......try 1895 say - before cars and motor transport and wage increases / trade union involvement. Just a thought.

lord rathmore

Probably around 1961, when BR had recently introduced a lot of new coaching stock, DMUs and class 40s and so on and the vandals hadn't yet really got their teeth into tearing up lines, ripping station roofs down, etc.

I agree. Early diesels and electrics were interesting and there was so much rail traffic and so many steam locos. My family went everywhere by train. When I shuffle off this mortal coil, heaven for me would be Crewe in 1961. Or Gorton. Or Chester.

Status
Not open for further replies.