• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bicycle Reservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound like a stupid question, but do I really need to make a reservation in advance to take my bike on the train?

I'll be going from Shrewsbury to Church Stretton. The ATW leaflet says that on this route I would need to reserve a place for my bike when I book my ticket. But I can't believe that I can't just take my bike on the train, especially for such a short journey?? (And it won't be peak time either..)

So... is a reservation really needed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
What leaflet are you looking at? Generally, ATW accept cycles without reservations if there is space on the train. Those who want to be certain of being able to travel on their chosen service have the option of making a reservation!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
;) It would be advisable, otherwise you may run the risk of not getting you and your bicycle on the train that are intending to travel on, and having to wait for the next one.

Established Member
I suppose that without a reservation I run the risk of not being able to board the train because there are already bikes taking up the valuable space onboard.

Quite correct, same applies I think to CrossCountry who say you have to have a reservation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but if there aren't you don't have to worry about bikes boarding later in the journey..... as you're getting off at the next stop! So providing you can accept having to wait 1 hour for the next one, there shouldn't be a need to reserve.

Ferret

Established Member
Quite correct, same applies I think to CrossCountry who say you have to have a reservation.

Although it changes with the wind, I believe the current policy is that XC advise you to make a reservation for your bike but if there is space for it to be carried then you won't be refused, even without a reservation. Sounds like a bit of common sense to me!:) That's certainly how my trains are run anyway!

krus_aragon

Established Member
For that journey, with ATW, I wouldn't bother. I've known many people (myself as well) to stand by the doors with extra bikes when on a short 20 minute ride from Bangor: we once had 6 bikes on a 158, inculding folders. I only chase cycle reservations on long journeys, specifically when travelling on an advance ticket.

The only danger I'd expect would be if you planned to travel at rush hour: if there isn't enough room to get all the people on the train then the guard probably won't let you bring a bike on at that station as well. During the day, you'll find no such problem. If you can live with the outside chance that you may be asked to wait for the next train (I've never been asked) you'll be fine.

Capybara

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you really need to take the train?

Why don't you use the bike for it's primary purpose especially for such a short journey??

Last edited:

Established Member
Although it changes with the wind, I believe the current policy is that XC advise you to make a reservation for your bike but if there is space for it to be carried then you won't be refused, even without a reservation. Sounds like a bit of common sense to me!:) That's certainly how my trains are run anyway!

Better to have one just in case, to avoid the problem of someone getting on later who did have a reservation. Good job in this case he is only going one stop!

Did the journey today - no problems, other than it's quite a squeeze on board with a bike!

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you really need to take the train?

Why don't you use the bike for it's primary puropose especially for such a short journey??

I cycled to Shrewsbury from Church Stretton but wanted to head back home on the train. It's uphill from Shrewsbury to Church Stretton and the journey would take well over an hour. That v. a 15 minute train journey.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This is the leaflet:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=185&libID=203

I suppose that without a reservation I run the risk of not being able to board the train because there are already bikes taking up the valuable space onboard.

That looks like a good leaflet, very comprehensive. The only quibble I have is the wording by the map which suggests that reservations are compulsory on most routes, when they're not, you just can;t be certain you will be able to get on without one!

For that journey, with ATW, I wouldn't bother. I've known many people (myself as well) to stand by the doors with extra bikes when on a short 20 minute ride from Bangor: we once had 6 bikes on a 158, inculding folders. I only chase cycle reservations on long journeys, specifically when travelling on an advance ticket.

The only danger I'd expect would be if you planned to travel at rush hour: if there isn't enough room to get all the people on the train then the guard probably won't let you bring a bike on at that station as well. During the day, you'll find no such problem. If you can live with the outside chance that you may be asked to wait for the next train (I've never been asked) you'll be fine.

There are quite a few people who take bikes on the ATW trains I use, even at rush hours, without seeming to have a problem. One guy seems to have aseason ticket, and, as you say, just gets on last with his bike and stays by the door ready to get off again! The only problem i;ve noticed is a man at Gowerton being unable to board the 1705 from Swansea to milford, but the trainw as so wedged he'd have had trouble getting on without a bike!

Did the journey today - no problems, other than it's quite a squeeze on board with a bike!

I cycled to Shrewsbury from Church Stretton but wanted to head back home on the train. It's uphill from Shrewsbury to Church Stretton and the journey would take well over an hour. That v. a 15 minute train journey.

I'm glad it worked out OK, were you on a 175?

Capybara

That's fair enough although it's obviously none of my business.

Last edited:
I'm glad it worked out OK, were you on a 175?

Yes - and I'm slowly coming round to the opinion that 175s are pretty rubbish lol

I heard today from someone that WSMR are using their DVTs as cycle storage now and can take quite a hefty number of bikes. Another brownie point for them!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes - and I'm slowly coming round to the opinion that 175s are pretty rubbish lol

I heard today from someone that WSMR are using their DVTs as cycle storage now and can take quite a hefty number of bikes. Another brownie point for them!

That's good use of DVT's! The 175's cna be a bit snug for bikes, but some parts of the train are worse than others!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Isn't that the same as London Eastern Railways (NXEA & Recent Predecessors) have been doing for a while - On London -> Norwich Services?????

Status
Not open for further replies.