• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes On Night Riviera Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom3107

Hi,
I am planning a trip in July and will need to take 4 bicycles on the sleeper from Penzance to Paddington on a Sunday. I just wanted to know would it be possible to reserve 4 bikes onboard even though the website says it can only accomadate 3. Is the bicycle area the same as on a HST?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Hi,
I am planning a trip in July and will need to take 4 bicycles on the sleeper from Penzance to Paddington on a Sunday. I just wanted to know would it be possible to reserve 4 bikes onboard even though the website says it can only accomadate 3. Is the bicycle area the same as on a HST?
Thanks in advance.

I'd imagine that a TFG would be able to hold more than 3...but that's what the website says, might be worth phoning

If the website says you can only reserve 3 then surely you can only reserve 3!! Just a thought!!!! :roll:;)

rail-britain

Established Member
I would suggest contacting FGW
If the four bicycles are different sizes, advise of this with the two smaller bicycles being chained together during stowage

If there is nothing else in the BFO, then it could easily accomodate five bicycles
However I suspect equipment is fitted to secure only three bicycles

4SRKT

Established Member
Bikes on the Night Riviera? You need to join the Metre High Club thread!

The last time that I took the sleeper there and back there was a B.G. formed as the Penzance end vehicle. There should be room for four bicycles easily. I suspect the "Three bicycles only" rule is the get-out clause much as G.N.E.R.'S 24 hours required for wheelchair assistance rule was.

barrykas

Established Member
Looking at the 2011 Cycling by Train leaflet gives no mention of bikes on the Night Riviera, just FGW's daytime services!

However, for the Caledonian Sleepers, it says that six bikes can be accommodated on all the Sleepers except the up Inverness, which can only take three.

The FGW website, meanwhile, says only three can be accommodated, and specifically excludes tandems. I guess the best way to find out would be to phone FGW Telesales or go into a station and ask.

Cheers,

Barry

TEW

Established Member
There is a bike rack fitted in the luggage area in the BFO, which presumably is only designed to take three bikes. More could be fitted in the luggage cage if the guard allowed it though.

EltonRoad

Why can the Inverness service only take 3 bikes, when the coaching stock is the same as all the other services, I wonder? I know that a few years ago the service carried fish for use in some top London restaurants, is this still the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.