• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes on the London Undergound

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
According to TFL I can take my non-folding bike on certain tube lines at certain times.

Does anyone know how accommodating TFL are with bikes and how strict they are with the time restrictions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Map and full details are on the TfL website (sorry I'm on my phone so it's not easy to post a link but I'm sure someone else will).

Basically, they are not allowed anywhere on weekdays between 0730 - 0930 and 1600 - 1900, and also not allowed through any tube tunnels, or west of Hounslow West.

Same timings on the DLR but only restricted from going to Bank. Can go on Cable car at any time that it's operating.

Quakkerillo

The routes on this map are basicallly:
DLR, Sub-surface lines, Deep-level lines where not underground (Hounslow West, and Chigwell - Grange Hill excepted)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd expect the time restrictions to be very strict- even outside those times LU can be very busy. The Bank restriction on DLR will be due to the station rather than any concerns about the tunnels down to it

I wonder how strictly the Colindale-Hendon ban is enforced?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
In another thread it's mentioned that it's illegal to have a bike in any doorway with an emergency egress handle, does the same apply on LU?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's not illegal. At all. There's some daft stuff in that thread, but I don't think anyone ever actually says it is illegal

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
It's not illegal. At all. There's some daft stuff in that thread, but I don't think anyone ever actually says it is illegal

From: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2496299&postcount=21
actually you're committing an offence by blocking any door with a green egress handle on it, as that's an emergency exit and I'm quite sure that any lawyer would have an absolute field day with claims in the event of an incident or accident where people are injured due to a cyclist blocking one.Sue the cyclist?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Can go on Cable car at any time that it's operating.

Rumour has it that bikes are allowed unaccompanied on the Emirates so that it doesn't always look like a Get Carter outtake:lol:

Quakkerillo

Chigwell to Grange Hill appears to be acceptable

That's what I'm saying. "Where not underground". Chigwell to Grange Hill is, according to the 'real underground' partially underground, yet bikes can be used on this route.

However, seeing it's only a minor tunnel like that, I'm not sure if I'd have called that underground.

MrB

In another thread it's mentioned that it's illegal to have a bike in any doorway with an emergency egress handle, does the same apply on LU?

From a passenger's point of view I would hope it is!! I wouldn't want to be unable to open an emergency exit because some cyclist had plonked their bike in front of the way out.

bramling

Veteran Member
From a passenger's point of view I would hope it is!! I wouldn't want to be unable to open an emergency exit because some cyclist had plonked their bike in front of the way out.

To be fair, there are *very* few situations where an egress device is likely to be used. In many cases their use would likely expose the user to additional hazards such as live cables, third rail or moving trains, as well as other hazards.

The only times an egress is likely to be useful are when the carriage is on fire and for whatever reason you can't move to another carriage, after a derailment or collision when the train is obstructing another line and is in danger of being struck by another train, or during an active shooter attack. In all of those scenarios I think a bike would be the least of anyone's worries.

pitdiver

When you say "Underground" don't forget you differentiate between sub surface lines and "Tube" lines. The rules regarding bikes are different I believe.

Clip

Established Member

Why wouldnt the cyclist take care of his cycle though? Are you saying they would just not be by their cycle whilst on the train?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

My bike's worth £500, I stay next to it. A bike's probably less of a hassle than those enormous suitcases tourists on the Piccadilly Line are so fond of.

duncanp

Established Member
Bikes are not allowed on the Victoria Line at any time.

Of course that didn't stop someone trying to get on at Highbury & Islington (southbound) last week, because of course the rules don't apply to him.

thenorthern

Established Member
I took mine on the Circle line today its not too hard to take bikes on after 7 and it wasn't too busy.

The most annoying thing was that at Euston Square there isn't any elevators.

thenorthern

Established Member
The carriages on the deep tube lines can barely fit people. There's no way they could accommodate bikes.

Given the Glasgow Subway trains are even lower I was interested to see if they are allowed on the network but its seems in Glasgow there is nothing to stop people taking bikes on the Subway. :D

duncanp

Established Member
The carriages on the deep tube lines can barely fit people. There's no way they could accommodate bikes.

The fact that there is no room for bikes does not, of course, stop cyclists from trying to get on a deep level tube.

It is always someone else's fault if there is no room for their bike, as is the case with main line trains.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What rubbish. The four busiest lines are all Tube lines. And there's no restriction on taking bikes on Tube lines that don't go through Tube tunnels (and west of Hounslow West on the Picc).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
its seems in Glasgow there is nothing to stop people taking bikes on the Subway. :D

You have to fold your pushchair on the shoogley, so you definitely can't take a bike on it ;)

I've taken my bike on the Jubilee Line, above ground, it fit perfectly well. They're not that small.

Status
Not open for further replies.