• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Binocular recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad2017

Hi everyone..can someone help me i have a large pair of 10x50 Binocular's and i was at Willesden Jcn today and there were others using smaller Binoculars and managed to see Acton Bridge and the numbers on the Train better than mine. Is there a small pair of binoculars that are better and stronger than a 10x50 pair please? PS Don't want to spend to much..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Toad2017

There's a used pair here:
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Celestron-8x25_192937.html
Quite a bit smaller, and lighter than your 10x50 pair; but they won't work so well when the light gets dull, and they are not as powerful. Have you got your pair of 10 x 50 adjusted optimally for your eyes? (Or are you, like me, now suffering from cataracts...)

My eyes are good but i am having treatment at mo..so is 10x50 the most powerful in binoculars

eMeS

My eyes are good but i am having treatment at mo..so is 10x50 the most powerful in binoculars
10x is about the top limit for hand-holding if you're not able to steady the binocular.
Canon offer expensive "Image Stabilised" binoculars, and when I tried a pair I was very impressed how clear the view was. I'm not sure what their current range offers - but they do need a battery to work the innerds.

I have a pair of Russian 12x40s bought 50 years ago which are excellent. I also have a pair of 10x25s bought from a supermarket for £7-99! They fit in a pocket and are not bad, surprisingly.

thejuggler

The first number is the magnification. 30x is extreme and you will need a tripod all the time. As others have said 10x is about maximum for hand held use.

Having had a pair of cheapies for many years and being disappointed last year in Scotland missing wildlife at a distance I bought a pair of Nikon binoculars for this year’s summer holiday.

They were about £200, but good optics aren’t cheap.

eMeS

Are 30x60 more powerful (inc night vision on them) then a 10x50?
Hi,
The figures are 30x magnification, and 60mm diameter for the objective lens (the lens nearer the item being viewed).
In addition, if you divide the 60mm by 30 you get the diameter of what's called the "exit pupil" i.e. 2mm. 2mm is quite small, and is the size of the circle of light you see looking at the eyepiece end of the binoculars; and is unsuitable for use at night, and is probably only OK when it's sunny, and you're steady. The 30x means that you will need a steady support e.g. a tripod, many binoculars have tripod sockets - often under a screwed cap.

(As a comparison, marine binoculars have been 7x50 for many years - these give a wide 7mm exit pupil letting lots of light get to our eyes, and helping to keep the view in sight on a wobbly boat.)

eMeS

what about 20x50? are they better than 10x50
They're more powerful, less useful in less bright conditions, and fall into what's called "observation binoculars". Nearly always used on a firm tripod, and quite often I've seen images showing the viewer sitting down - OK, looking at the stars!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Old East German, Russian or German, makes are often very good. Have a look in charity shops, they some times get items like these in. good quality and not too expensive.

pitdiver

It is not only the power that is important but the quality of the optics. I have a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 8x30 bins. These are far superior to many more "powerful" pairs. However the did cost a considerable amount for their size

Sox

This model has been mentioned above.

I have owned a pair of Canon 12x36 IS 11 binoculars for several years and although a bit pricey, they are one purchase in life I have never regretted (the x12 is a good compromise between bulk/weight and magnification).

The model needs 2xAA batteries but power consumption is low. If you are getting a little bit older, image stabilisation useful for
eliminating hand shake.

Looks like my particular model may have been upgraded since purchase:

https://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/pr...noculars/canon_refreshes_binocular_range.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.