• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham - Edinburgh (Splitting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
I've got two relatives travelling from Birmingham to Edinburgh next Friday, returning on Saturday. There don't seem to be any overly cheap Advance fares available for each leg, so I think they'll be looking at getting VT Only Off Peak returns with a Two Together Railcard. That'd be £77.50 each.

Just wondering if anyone knows where the best places are to split tickets if they go down that route instead, bearing in mind that the VWCs don't stop at Stafford. Thanks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
The best that can be done with a single split is at Warrington Bank Quay, and that only shaves a couple of quid off. I haven't looked into multiple splits. In all fairness, TOC-specific tickets tend to be quite good value although this one is far from amazing unless travelling before the 'any permitted' is valid.

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
If your relatives want to maximise their time in Edinburgh, then the following would be considerably cheaper for travel on 14/15 March (each fare is for 2 people with a Two Together railcard):

Outward: take the 0615 from Birmingham to Edinburgh with the following tickets:

Birmingham-Preston: £19 Advance
Preston-Edinburgh: £52 Advance

Return: take the 1852 from Edinburgh arriving Birmingham at 2259:

Edinburgh-Birmingham: £31 Advance

Total: £102

kendaldrac

Current cheapest ticket fares for two people using railcars discount would be £108.20 using outward :

Birmingham to Wigan to Edinburgh

Return:

Edinburgh to Preston to Birmingham

Butts

Veteran Member
I've got two relatives travelling from Birmingham to Edinburgh next Friday, returning on Saturday. There don't seem to be any overly cheap Advance fares available for each leg, so I think they'll be looking at getting VT Only Off Peak returns with a Two Together Railcard. That'd be £77.50 each.

Just wondering if anyone knows where the best places are to split tickets if they go down that route instead, bearing in mind that the VWCs don't stop at Stafford. Thanks. :)

Why not fly - fares particularly attractive for the return flight £35 each, and it takes 45mins !!

the sniper

Established Member
Thanks for the help chaps. They're not really up for departing New Street at 6:15am, so I don't think they're going to get much of a saving. I think they'll probably just go down the route of most convenience and pay the price for it. I've recommended looking at flying instead though, so thanks for the idea Butts. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.