• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham - Herne Bay return next weekend with BOJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
Hello

I am looking to make the following journey

Birmingham to Herne Bay on Fri 24 August, leaving as soon as possible after 15:30.
Herne Bay to Birmingham anytime on Mon 27 August, with a break of journey in London for as long a time as possible.

I am currently considering a Super Off Peak return via High Wycombe at £50.00 but was wondering if anyone could find a way to beat this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
You can save about £5 by splitting across London using Oyster/Overground. Hardly seems worth it.

dvboy

Established Member
You can save about £5 by splitting across London using Oyster/Overground. Hardly seems worth it.

Might be if it involves a faster journey either end, or would it still be via High Wycombe and not HS1?

soil

Established Member
Might be if it involves a faster journey either end, or would it still be via High Wycombe and not HS1?

You'd have to take the stopping London Midland train to Watford Junction(2 hours), change for Harrow & Wealdstone and then work your way through London on the overground. And no high speed.

You can use HS1 on the through ticket, map GC + LONDON + HK.

dvboy

Established Member
You'd have to take the stopping London Midland train to Watford Junction(2 hours), change for Harrow & Wealdstone and then work your way through London on the overground. And no high speed.

You can use HS1 on the through ticket, map GC + LONDON + HK.

Thanks, that's good to know - WebTIS suggested London Bridge.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know if I'll be able to buy the Super Off Peak Return on the train from Moor Street? I might be pushed for time to be able to buy it from Snow Hill (where I'll be starting the journey)

sonic2009

Established Member
Moor Street is barried, so you will not be able to purchase the ticket onboard.

dvboy

Established Member
Moor Street is barried, so you will not be able to purchase the ticket onboard.

I know that but not at all? As I'll have been using my season ticket to get from Snow Hill to Moor Street, could I not buy it on board between Moor Street and Solihull where my season ticket is valid?

sonic2009

Established Member
I understand now, I would say yes but cannot confirm for definite, you may wish to seek the guard asap and explain the situation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can ask and many guards will say yes (if approached while your Season is still valid) but officially they can charge the full Anytime fare. If they will not sell the Super Off Peak Return, then you will have to get off at Solihull, get the ticket there, and get the following train.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you work near Snow Hill or any other staffed station could you nip out on lunch to get the ticket? Or buying online to pick up might save a little time.

Chiltern guards always seem reasonable to me though and I expect you'll be able to buy on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.