• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bittern Line collision 17/7/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Established Member
1855 Norwich to Sheringham 2S30 has collided with Range Rover at Norwich Rd AHB near Salhouse. No injuries to staff or passengers, car reportedly weaved round barriers and made off after collision. Unit is 755410

An incident at a level crossing between Salhouse and Hoveton & Wroxham means trains are currently unable to run between Norwich and Sheringham.

A limited rail replacement bus service is in operation.

We anticipate disruption will continue until 20:00.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like the car driver has returned to the scene & is being interviewed.

2S30 now on the move to Hoveton & Wroxham.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would say that the Range Rover collided with the train. Hardly ever gets reported that way though! :rolleyes:

Gathursty

Established Member
There's too many impatient people on the road, not just at level crossings. For a growing number of people the speed limit is that annoying thing you have to do when you see a yellow thing by the side of the road or a marked vehicle.

170TurboFan

Looks to soon be on the move, extra service planned at 2100 to get 755406 back to Norwich.

Block has been lifted 9S27 running from HXM-NRW with 755406

Last edited:

fishwomp

Range rovers seem to be disproportionately represented in this type of incident.
Sadly so. Great Heck, as well as the recent thankfully fatality free Cheshunt and Doncaster fools. In the latter two, stolen cars I guess - why it is still possible to steal a car in this day and age of electronic security, I will never understand - expensive cars should do better.

Gloster

Established Member
It was reported somewhere or other that the reason why Range Rovers and similar vehicles are preferred by those intending to carry out other nefarious deeds is that they are built like a tank. The evil-doer has a better chance of ramming their way out of trouble in a Range Rover than in a small hatchback. Watch how the vehicle takes off in the Cheshunt video.

dk1

Veteran Member
I haven't heard that the vehicle was stolen in this instance. The driver returned to the scene after initially fleeing.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Doncaster incident vehicle was not stolen either.

However, vehicles in the Land Rover family are notoriously easy to pinch. Hence why you see so many with steering wheel clamps on them.

fishwomp

The Doncaster incident vehicle was not stolen either.

However, vehicles in the Land Rover family are notoriously easy to pinch. Hence why you see so many with steering wheel clamps on them.
Seriously? I thought it was a few days before they apprehended someone, so assumed it wasn't the registered keeper..

fishwomp

He was in court 5 days after the incident!
Not the next morning, nor even two days.. which I thought was the pace normally but I don't have experience in this area!

He was charged with perverting course of justice in addition to leaving the scene, so possibly had pretended it was stolen. This quote from the police, day after (quote from daily mail, arrived at via Google not personal choice)
'A Range Rover which is believed to have been stolen, left the road from West End Lane, Rossington and crashed through the security fencing at Rossington railway crossing, colliding with a train which was passing by.'

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not the next morning, nor even two days.. which I thought was the pace normally but I don't have experience in this area!

He was charged with perverting course of justice in addition to leaving the scene, so possibly had pretended it was stolen. This quote from the police, day after (quote from daily mail, arrived at via Google not personal choice)
'A Range Rover which is believed to have been stolen, left the road from West End Lane, Rossington and crashed through the security fencing at Rossington railway crossing, colliding with a train which was passing by.'
A quote from the Daily Mail without qualifiers should be taken with a pinch of salt big enough to grit the M6. This one includes 'is believed'.

fishwomp

A quote from the Daily Mail without qualifiers should be taken with a pinch of salt big enough to grit the M6. This one includes 'is believed'.
The quote was police spokesperson. Quoted by the paper. I think the perverting course plus delay in charging would support this. I am not a fan of the paper but making up police quotes would land them in trouble.

You could have saved yourself a post by looking up the news yourself - this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Doncaster+level+crossing+train+stolen and see the hits stack up.

Egg Centric

Sadly so. Great Heck, as well as the recent thankfully fatality free Cheshunt and Doncaster fools. In the latter two, stolen cars I guess - why it is still possible to steal a car in this day and age of electronic security, I will never understand - expensive cars should do better.

Technically, Great Heck was a Land Rover

LondonExile

My parents' Citroen BX had a kind of 2 factor authentication - you had to tap a code in to disable the immobiliser before it would start.

Plenty of cars are pretty much impossible to start without the keys - all this means is that burglars break in to the house, find the keys and nick the car using them.

mpthomson

My parents' Citroen BX had a kind of 2 factor authentication - you had to tap a code in to disable the immobiliser before it would start.

Plenty of cars are pretty much impossible to start without the keys - all this means is that burglars break in to the house, find the keys and nick the car using them.
On the contrary, many that are keyless entry and start are very easy to steal without physically having the keys. All you need is a signal amplification device and owners who don't store their keys in a metal box that stops the signal.

High Dyke

Established Member

He was charged with perverting course of justice in addition to leaving the scene, so possibly had pretended it was stolen.
The individual concerned has also been suspended from his job. Not a great way to commence a career on the railway.

High Dyke

Established Member
So are you saying the driver of the Range Rover was a railway employee?
Could be coincidental, but the person in court shares the same name as a railway employee - who happens to live in the same area, and is currently suspended from work. Obviously his employer don't want publicity like that.

dk1

Veteran Member
Could be coincidental, but the person in court shares the same name as a railway employee - who happens to live in the same area, and is currently suspended from work. Obviously his employer don't want publicity like that.
Ok thanks. Will have to have a look.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
On the contrary, many that are keyless entry and start are very easy to steal without physically having the keys. All you need is a signal amplification device and owners who don't store their keys in a metal box that stops the signal.
Use the old school method of removing the fuse which includes the starter motor circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.