• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackburn Depot Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
35k, training rate is 75% of that. Which means that it's 7k more than the training rate for their mainline drivers. Madness

NWestern

Is this for qualified drivers only? Advert states 'you must be able to undertake train driving duties'. Bit confused due to the stating of a trainee pay rate??

Andrew32

Thinking about applying for this, what the difference between a mainline driver and a depot driver?

If an existing employee do you keep your current wage whilst training and how long is training, shifts etc etc?

Thanks in advance for any info

Louby

Thinking about applying for this, what the difference between a mainline driver and a depot driver?

If an existing employee do you keep your current wage whilst training and how long is training, shifts etc etc?

Thanks in advance for any info

You are not allowed on the mainline, no more than 5mph, less training , less pay, not sure over same pay,and shifts will be some nights I presume if not all , but I'm sure some on here can be more specific

LETHLFH

You will keep your rate of pay during training when recruited internally, but only your basic salary, no enhancements or average earnings or anything like that.

Mte

Hi, I was also wanting a bit of advice relating to this job. There are two posted, one for Depot driver and the other for instructor driver. The person specification for each are similar. Could someone apply with no experience at all?

Secondly, and most importantly. I am looking to eventually train as a trainee train driver on the mainline. I was just waiting until a post came up - obviously its not that easy - but I was going to have a shot at the application, My main question is - if I went for one of the above roles, would that stand me in good stead for a future role as a mainline driver, or would it go against me in some way. I am pretty new to all this and hope my question makes sense. Thanks

donpoku

Go for it as once you get in mainline driving would be a touching distance. All the best.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Mte

Hi, thanks for the advice, I had heard though that when Northern take on Trainee Drivers, they like to have new recruits, not current employees, is this information incorrect?

Also, when you say 'touching distance', do you mean that it would be expected/is the next step that a depot driver would progress onto becoming a trainee driver on the mainline ? (if he chose that path)

Would you include/leave out that ambition from the application?

Many thanks

LETHLFH

All trainee train driver jobs are posted internally first, then externally if there is not enough interest, there is definitely an advantage as many posts are never advertised externally. It is not just expected for depot driver to progress, you would have the same chance as any other employee, just down to whoever interviews best on the day. Of course I'm sure depot drivers would have a lot of relevant examples for trainee driver interviews.

AndyI

How strict is the 45min rule.

I'm 50 miles away by motorway or 30 miles by direct road.

Also 50mins away by direct train.

Is there a bit of leeway?

rhys37429

Thanks for the advice, is it predominately night shifts?

yes.. 21:00 - 06:00 and 22:30 - 07:30.

Does anyone know what a likely shift pattern is like for this role?

iv seen the shift pattern, you work either 21:00 - 06:00 or 22:30 - 07:30 and have a week of GPR.
you dont get mixed shifts in the same week, if you start on 21:00 start you are on it all week (apart from your days off). the GPR is the only exception to that.

Louby

How strict is the 45min rule.

I'm 50 miles away by motorway or 30 miles by direct road.

Also 50mins away by direct train.

Is there a bit of leeway?

Very, google maps is pretty accurate . Your application won't pass the sift if you are out

AndyI

Very, google maps is pretty accurate . Your application won't pass the sift if you are out

Thanks for the Reply.

That's a shame, I really wanted to apply. We'll have to keep a look out for closer depots.

roger77

yes.. 21:00 - 06:00 and 22:30 - 07:30.

iv seen the shift pattern, you work either 21:00 - 06:00 or 22:30 - 07:30 and have a week of GPR.
you dont get mixed shifts in the same week, if you start on 21:00 start you are on it all week (apart from your days off). the GPR is the only exception to that.
hi I have applied for this, what does GPR stand for, thanks?

roger77

General purpose relief, you cover other people's duties if they are sick, training on leave etc
Thanks for the reply much appreciated,so is it essentially 4 days on 3 days off?

rhys37429

Thanks for the reply much appreciated,so is it essentially 4 days on 3 days off?

what i have seen its a full block - sunday to saturday of GPR, doesnt specify any days off, so my guess is you will be told when your days off are that week to meet the companies needs..

roger77

what i have seen its a full block - sunday to saturday of GPR, doesnt specify any days off, so my guess is you will be told when your days off are that week to meet the companies needs..
thanks again, do you know if you have to do the same psychometric tests as the mainline trainee train driver roles?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Generally with GPR you take the RDs of the week of work you are covering

Status
Not open for further replies.