• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North platform staff

sansyy

Hello, after quite a few journeys to Blackpool north recently ive been wondering what’s with the platform staff. They’re all extremely grumpy and have this uptight attitude that you’re here to commit a crime or defraud the railway and it’s rather frustrating when dealing with them. I held an advanced ticket for a train that was cancelled due to staff shortages and they looked at me like I was supposed to buy another ticket or drive the train myself and it was rather a difficult challenge to get past them. Not to mention the ticket barriers never work either so having to always deal with them is an unfortunate fate. Does anyone else have these issues?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DM352

Last time there was 25 years ago and had same experience with the gatekeeper staff. It resembled being treated like a group of kids on a school field trip until dismissed to the platform.

Unrelated, I do not like the bland excursion station compared with pictures of the main BN station they demolished.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does anyone else have these issues?
You're certainly not the first forum member to adversely comment about Blackpool North. See also the below...

Vespa

Established Member
I've not been to Blackpool North for years, I've studiously avoid the place and drive instead.

If it closes down I wouldn't miss it, it would be better unstaffed for all the good the staff are doing.

You must have a sense of sado masochism if you really must visit the station.

Magdalia

Established Member
Blackpool North was a popular feature on this forum in the past see this discussion:

There is lots to read if you have the time!

Turtle

Hello, after quite a few journeys to Blackpool north recently ive been wondering what’s with the platform staff. They’re all extremely grumpy and have this uptight attitude that you’re here to commit a crime or defraud the railway and it’s rather frustrating when dealing with them. I held an advanced ticket for a train that was cancelled due to staff shortages and they looked at me like I was supposed to buy another ticket or drive the train myself and it was rather a difficult challenge to get past them. Not to mention the ticket barriers never work either so having to always deal with them is an unfortunate fate. Does anyone else have these issues?
Just enter Blackpool North on a search engine!
This station seems to have a long tradition of antagonising passengers and, judging by the multitude of past comments, nobody in senior management is able to get a grip on the situation.
Unrelated, but boarding at Euston appears to be a similar ongoing problem.

WestCoast

Established Member
I used the station regularly for over 15 years and they have always run the place like that.

I was a regular commuter for a while and they were always pretty friendly and relaxed to the regulars (including having all the doors open in the morning if I recall correctly) but if you’re a visitor at peak weekend then you’ll get the school trip experience :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
I always have to ask the staff to let me through the ticket gates as BR boxes don't operate them and I find them courteous and helpful.

I've not been to Blackpool North for years, I've studiously avoid the place and drive instead.

If it closes down I wouldn't miss it, it would be better unstaffed for all the good the staff are doing.

You must have a sense of sado masochism if you really must visit the station.
Would you honestly drive just because staff aren't friendly at a station?

Vespa

Established Member
Yes, I have done so many times, I didn't agree with the policy of keeping you in the concourse until 3 minites before the train departs, there were reports which can also be found on this forum of passengers missing their train because the staff have not opened the door.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, I have done so many times, I didn't agree with the policy of keeping you in the concourse until 3 minites before the train departs, there were reports which can also be found on this forum of passengers missing their train because the staff have not opened the door.

I don’t think I could ever take it that personally. Some staff in my nearest Sainsbury’s aren’t very friendly but I wouldn’t put myself out to go anywhere else. Although I regularly join the queue at Blackpool North I’ve never had to rush to the train. It’s just one of those things that happen at that station. I’m actually looking at booking another trip soon to tick the new Holiday Inn & the tram extension.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes I have experienced this; see previous threads on the subject.

It's a cultural problem that Northern rail are either unwilling or unable to address.

I don’t think I could ever take it that personally.
No but it's still unacceptable behaviour in customer facing roles.
Some staff in my nearest Sainsbury’s aren’t very friendly but I wouldn’t put myself out to go anywhere else.
I've never experienced any supermarket staff to behave in a manner comparable to how staff at BPN have been known to behave. I would be shocked if I did and I would expect the matter to be dealt with (I have no such expectations of Northern as i know what Northern are like as a company)
Although I regularly join the queue at Blackpool North I’ve never had to rush to the train. It’s just one of those things that happen at that station. I’m actually looking at booking another trip soon to tick the new Holiday Inn & the tram extension.
It's not just about 'rushing'; indeed I was once rushed to make a decision regarding which train I was going to take (my ticket was valid on any).

Some of the staff at BPN are not suitable for public facing roles; the training is inadequate and insufficient safeguards are on place by Northern to detect and deal with inappropriate behaviour by staff

It will never change , at least not in the current climate and with current management.

I always have to ask the staff to let me through the ticket gates as BR boxes don't operate them and I find them courteous and helpful.

Good for people who make a stand; mistreating customers does have the potential consequence of some people making alternative choices.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes I have experienced this; see previous threads on the subject.

It's a cultural problem that Northern rail are either unwilling or unable to address.

No but it's still unacceptable behaviour in customer facing roles.

I've never experienced any supermarket staff to behave in a manner comparable to how staff at BPN have been known to behave. I would be shocked if I did and I would expect the matter to be dealt with (I have no such expectations of Northern as i know what Northwrn are like as a company)

It's not just 'rushing' indeed I was once rushed to make a decision regarding which train I was going to take (my ticket was valid on any).

If we go back to BR days it was the norm at many stations. So many staff had been transferred from the dwindling freight side and had little or no patience with passengers. We laugh about the grumpy old buggers we once worked alongside these days.

BeijingDave

Certainly staff attitude influences my decisions about transport.

I will avoid flying when I have an alternative. Not because I am scared of flying. Not because I am worried about my carbon footprint. Largely because I hate being herded through airport security like cattle, to be bossed around by needlessly stern staff. And it's not even avoidable by flying Business Class (except you get a slightly shorter, 'fast-tracked' queue to join).

It's not so far-fetched to think that it would heavily influence someone's decision to use a car over the train.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good for people who make a stand; mistreating customers does have the potential consequence of some people making alternative choices.

I still personally wouldn’t spite the nose off my own face and travel any other way than by train. By the time I’m in the first pub along the prom I would’ve forgotten all about any grumpy railway staff I’d encountered along the way.

ChrisC

Established Member
I used to have friends who lived in Blackpool, they were teachers, and I sometimes used to go and stay in their house during August when they were away on holiday. Sometimes I would have a 7 Day NW Rover whilst there and was regularly treated like a naughty little schoolboy because my ticket was rejected by the barrier twice a day for a week. It’s over 10 years now since I last went and very unsatisfactory if the attitude of some of the staff has not changed in that time.

Some parts of Blackpool are awful and I used to keep it a bit quiet about going there each year. Away from the dreadful rough rundown parts I actually found most of the area surrounding Blackpool very nice and did lots of walking in the wider Fylde area. Where my friends lived just back from the North Shore towards Bispham, there were some very pleasant areas annd quite upmarket houses and no more than 30 minutes walk from Blackpool North Station. I felt quite sorry for the people who live around there that Blackpool has such a bad reputation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I still personally wouldn’t spite the nose off my own face and travel any other way than by train.
I don't think avoiding grumpy people bossing you about is spiting your nose off, if you have a convenient form of transport available (I don't personally but others do)

The rail industry does seem to want to deter people from travelling; it does a good job, as proportionally only a small fraction of journeys are made by train.
By the time I’m in the first pub along the prom I would’ve forgotten all about any grumpy railway staff I’d encountered along the way.
If you are happy to put up with encountering grumpy staff in service based roles that is your choice and if you immediately forget about them then good for you. But that's not relevant to others.

Of course, it's not a surprise that you appear to be dismissive of the behaviour that occurs at Blackpool North, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I have no idea who has managerial oversight for Blackpool North these days, but surely they must be aware of the problem as I suspect there will be lots of passenger complaints. Prior to COVID there was one particular individual whose bad attitude seemed to rub off on the other staff - he was particularly obnoxious marshalling passengers onto rail replacement buses during the electrification / resignalling works. I'm aiming to visit Blackpool when the tramway extension opens, so it will interesting to see what the 'welcoming committee' is like now.

Established Member
Whilst it's never an excuse, the lovely friendly, sober, well-behaved anima passengers passing through the station probably creates workers like that.

A truly grim place, not entirely the fault of the railway. I'd be tempted to get a taxi to Layton & pick it up there.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I'd be tempted to get a taxi to Layton & pick it up there.
That only works for one train per hour (one of the Blackpool-Manchester Airport ones), compared to the 4 TPH that usually run (plus the occasional Avanti).

The last time I was at Blackpool North I didn't experience any problems, we were let onto the platform right as the queue of people leaving the train had all had their tickets checked.
Although it was an Avanti we were getting on so it is probably treated differently to the Northern services.

Geeves

Established Member
You'd probably be grumpy dealing with the types passing through into Blackpool N on a hot sunny day not to mention grumpy train spotters spoiling for a fight. I've passed through hundreds of times and not had an issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have no idea who has managerial oversight for Blackpool North these days, but surely they must be aware of the problem as I suspect there will be lots of passenger complaints. Prior to COVID there was one particular individual whose bad attitude seemed to rub off on the other staff - he was particularly obnoxious marshalling passengers onto rail replacement buses during the electrification / resignalling works. I'm aiming to visit Blackpool when the tramway extension opens, so it will interesting to see what the 'welcoming committee' is like now.

I am sure they must be aware of the concerns that have been raised by numerous passengers; they probably don't see it as a 'problem'.
Whilst it's never an excuse, the lovely friendly, sober, well-behaved anima passengers passing through the station probably creates workers like that.
You'd probably be grumpy dealing with the types passing through into Blackpool N on a hot sunny day not to mention grumpy train spotters spoiling for a fight. I've passed through hundreds of times and not had an issue.
I don't get that at all. I've got experience of jobs where I've dealt with difficult customers, but that only made me more determined to be polite to the customers who did behave well.

People in other customer-oriented roles, who encounter some badly behaved customers, do not usually act in such a poor manner to customers who are not doing anything wrong; it's not normal behaviour and is indicative of someone who is in the wrong type of job, and a company who lacks appropriate safeguards to employ the right people, provide adequate training, and to carry out ongoing checks and monitoring to ensure appropriate behaviours by staff.

But none of this is new; we've been through this many times before. No-one is going to change their minds on the subject, and there is no sign of a wholesale change in attitude at this station.

1D54

How many years have to go by before something is done about this damn place? Northern or whoever is responsible should be sending in people to immediately investigate the attitude and behaviour of their staff. Blackpool is getting a bad enough name as it is without this.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
This has been a problem at Blackpool North for a very long time. As a kid we had a family holiday in Blackpool and remember the staff there being grumpy and unwelcoming way back then. Moonraker was on at the pictures, so it must have been 1979.

Established Member
I don’t think I could ever take it that personally. Some staff in my nearest Sainsbury’s aren’t very friendly but I wouldn’t put myself out to go anywhere else. Although I regularly join the queue at Blackpool North I’ve never had to rush to the train. It’s just one of those things that happen at that station. I’m actually looking at booking another trip soon to tick the new Holiday Inn & the tram extension.

These threads pop up every so often. I’m tempted to visit to see for myself whether the staff really are rude, or whether it’s just something people on here complain about!

The arrangement of not letting people onto the platform until just before departure doesn’t sound ideal, and is an obvious source of conflict. It’s hard to imagine what the reason for that might be when other much busier stations don’t do it.

dk1

Veteran Member
These threads pop up every so often. I’m tempted to visit to see for myself whether the staff really are rude, or whether it’s just something people on here complain about!

The arrangement of not letting people onto the platform until just before departure doesn’t sound ideal, and is an obvious source of conflict. It’s hard to imagine what the reason for that might be when other much busier stations don’t do it.

Not sure if it’s to keep them out of the cleaners way if trains have short turnarounds. Those that want to photograph seem to have particular issues with the staff here. I’ve passed through many many times and just take it for what it is. As long as I get my train I don’t really care.

Trackman

Established Member
Not sure if it’s to keep them out of the cleaners way if trains have short turnarounds. Those that want to photograph seem to have particular issues with the staff here. I’ve passed through many many times and just take it for what it is. As long as I get my train I don’t really care.
I think the official line is overcrowding / chances of people falling on the tracks.
Make of it what you will.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think the official line is overcrowding / chances of people falling on the tracks.
Make of it what you will.

So very odd if that is the official line. Where does falling onto the tracks ever come into any consideration? If London & the SE can function as well as other metropolis, what’s so special about Blackpool North?

trebor79

Established Member
So very odd if that is the official line. Where does falling onto the tracks ever come into any consideration? If London & the SE can function as well as other metropolis, what’s so special about Blackpool North?
They should send them down to have a look at Vauxhall platform 8 in the evening rush hour. Really narrow where you come up the stairs and at lots of other points. They don't actually bother to shout at people over the yellow line because it's so crowded and in any case there are points where the yellow line is only inches away from a structure.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I don't think avoiding grumpy people bossing you about is spiting your nose off, if you have a convenient form of transport available (I don't personally but others do)

The rail industry does seem to want to deter people from travelling; it does a good job, as proportionally only a small fraction of journeys are made by train.

If you are happy to put up with encountering grumpy staff in service based roles that is your choice and if you immediately forget about them then good for you. But that's not relevant to others.

Of course, it's not a surprise that you appear to be dismissive of the behaviour that occurs at Blackpool North, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I think Blackpool North though is a very special and particular case, far beyond any of the other 2,500+ stations on the network because it features on a nearly quarterly basis! Quite why this has come about is probably a unique set of circumstances but baffling to many.

I wouldn't use it to necessarily make any wider assumptions about the rest of the network!

dk1

Veteran Member
They should send them down to have a look at Vauxhall platform 8 in the evening rush hour. Really narrow where you come up the stairs and at lots of other points. They don't actually bother to shout at people over the yellow line because it's so crowded and in any case there are points where the yellow line is only inches away from a structure.

Yes like many other parts of the busier national network. Common sense seems lacking replaced by risk liability in every walk of life. Really is quite demoralising.