• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North Pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I have to agree. I’m happy with the PIS screens being edited - but the signs seem too far for a company supposedly short of money.

Quite. As my train stopped at Barnsley Interchange this morning I noticed that every single station sign; 4 on each platform, I think, had been changed to "Barnsleigh Interchange". I didn't see anyone rolling around in hysterics, just a bunch of hacked-off pssengers huddled on the platform because Northern had cancelled or delayed their train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I recall a previous poster said that South West Trains did this sort of thing a few years ago, and there was a similar amount of eye rolling and tutting. Have other TOCs tried it in the past, and with a similar negative response?

All I remember is last year during the world Cup LNER changed Newark Northgate to "Newark Southgate". I believe Southgate on the Piccadilly line was renamed to Gareth Southgate although I may be remembering it wrong. No one moaned when that happened although the country was in a much better mood then than it is now.

SteveM70

Established Member
It is probably part of a budget for promotion and PR

Yes, probably, but that’s hardly the point. They are by most accounts financially struggling so you’d imagine any sane company would look first at discretionary spending and cull it as much as they can.

scrapy

Established Member
Yes, probably, but that’s hardly the point. They are by most accounts financially struggling so you’d imagine any sane company would look first at discretionary spending and cull it as much as they can.
There are franchise requirements for amounts to be spent on PR, marketing and amounts to be given to local good causes so these will have to be spent anyway.

SteveM70

Established Member
There are franchise requirements for amounts to be spent on PR, marketing and amounts to be given to local good causes so these will have to be spent anyway.

Why? There are plenty of much more important franchise commitments they haven’t delivered and nobody is holding them to account for those failings

theironroad

Established Member
It's does seem a bit early for station name changes, though can't say I'd be that bothered.

The TOCs do need to remember that there are often passengers travelling on their patch who may not know the area at all and a name change that isn't that obvious could be confusing. Might be fine for locals or commuters, but someone visiting may not get it.

There's plenty of passengers who ask more than once whether a train stops at station X despite the fact that it's clearly listed on departure screens and this isn't people who chat read the screens, just that they may be nervous travellers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If Blackpool North was chosen to become the North Pole, wouldn't they stop Santa delivering toys by keeping the doors locked shut and stopping him from reaching his sleigh?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I recall a previous poster said that South West Trains did this sort of thing a few years ago, and there was a similar amount of eye rolling and tutting. Have other TOCs tried it in the past, and with a similar negative response?
I seem to recall reports of Valentines confusion when Chessington was changed to Kissington, with passengers wondering why they didn’t end up in Kingston....

dvboy

Established Member
Personally not a fan of changing destinations on departure boards as passengers may be unfamiliar with the area. 'Blackpool North Pole' isn't too bad I guess but someone might genuinely not realise 'Barnsleigh' is supposed to be Barnsley if they're not a local. It isn't even that good a pun. On board announcements and the occasional temporary sign I think are OK, but when there is disruption on the scale we have today combined with a huge timetable change, I don't think it's professional to mess about with information screens for a laugh. It may have been to raise awareness for charity but the message has been lost. Virgin Trains seemed to get the balance right when it came to balancing professionalism with character.

_toommm_

Established Member
When you get to Heald Green on a Saturday night and find the 19:43 to Blackpool 'North Pole' has been cancelled every week for the past 4 weeks at least, it isn't very funny. 4 Northern journeys last Friday and Saturday, 4 delay repay claims; one every Saturday for this train and my following train back to Leeds. As I said, not funny in this situation...

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
When you get to Heald Green on a Saturday night and find the 19:43 to Blackpool 'North Pole' has been cancelled every week for the past 4 weeks at least, it isn't very funny. 4 Northern journeys last Friday and Saturday, 4 delay repay claims; one every Saturday for this train and my following train back to Leeds. As I said, not funny in this situation...

If it has been cancelled every week for 4 weeks have you not thought to make plans for an alternative train?

Here in N Wales due to stock shortages there was a number of services cancelled daily for many weeks.. We have to deal with it, its not good, its and is a huge inconvenience, but to sound surprised the same train has being cancelled , I assume, in advance so less of an issue and to think a play on a destination sign has anything to do with it is just a bit silly.

_toommm_

Established Member
If it has been cancelled every week for 4 weeks have you not thought to make plans for an alternative train?

Here in N Wales due to stock shortages there was a number of services cancelled daily for many weeks.. We have to deal with it, its not good, its and is a huge inconvenience, but to sound surprised the same train has being cancelled , I assume, in advance so less of an issue and to think a play on a destination sign has anything to do with it is just a bit silly.

Well I finish work at 7 and it isn't feasible for me to finish work early so it's not a case of it being a leisure journey that I can postpone or leave early. Of course I'm not saying that the inclusion of 'Pole' on the end of Blackpool North has caused the service to be cancelled, I am merely stating that it is much less funny in those circumstances.

The service doesn't get cancelled in advance. Often I find out about it around 6pm. There's one 10 minutes before it, but that often gets cancelled for the same reasons i.e. lack of train crew.

It also means I lose my seat reservation for the service to Leeds. Coupled that with a broken foot and drunken folk's lack of compassion then it is certainly very annoying.

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I wonder how many hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds has been wasted on ordering and fitting temporary metal station signs with these joke names on them? Perhaps if this money had instead been put towards the driver training budget we might not be seeing so many cancellations on Northern due to "a shortage of drivers" right now.

Let's just ho-ho-hope that, like Santa, whichever Northern PR clown came up with this idiotic and wasteful prank gets the sack this Christmas!

Clip

Established Member
I seem to recall reports of Valentines confusion when Chessington was changed to Kissington, with passengers wondering why they didn’t end up in Kingston....

How many? 1 maybe 2?
Perhaps if this money had instead been put towards the driver training budget we might not be seeing so many cancellations on Northern due to "a shortage of drivers" right now.

Yes because 10 thousand pounds is going to go far in training a driver up isn't it?

Are people aware that company's have budgets for different areas of the business?

Last edited by a moderator:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
As mentioned further up thread it is raising money for 4 local charities close to the stations involved.

Good intentions and a good cause even if the grumpy Cant appreciate it.

endecotp

Here’s a better idea: change the TOC names on the PIS to something we can all laugh at. Suggestions anyone?
Here’s an obvious one to get you started: “Northern Fail”

Darandio

Established Member
Here’s a better idea: change the TOC names on the PIS to something we can all laugh at. Suggestions anyone?

Never heard that one before, must have took you ages to come up with it..........

Real original. And personally, I do find Ho Ho Holmes Chapel funny, to the point where I actually laughed at it. Although that appears to be a problem with my childish sense of humour.

SteveM70

Established Member
As mentioned further up thread it is raising money for 4 local charities close to the stations involved.

Good intentions and a good cause even if the grumpy Cant appreciate it.

Change the PIS for a few days. Don’t change the signs. Give the money the signs would’ve cost to the charity

Everyone’s reasonably happy (until their train is cancelled)

aleandrail

Not a Station name change but it caught my eye at Burton on Trent station. Excuse the poor image, must of rushed it812 028.JPG

pdeaves

Established Member
Does anyone know when the proper names were reapplied (if indeed they have been), please? I tried contacting Northern but have had no response at all.

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone know when the proper names were reapplied (if indeed they have been), please? I tried contacting Northern but have had no response at all.

At least one of the signs still says Blackpool North Pole as of Monday 13/01/20.

SteveM70

Established Member
At least one of the signs still says Blackpool North Pole as of Monday 13/01/20.

Probably the legendary Blackpool North staff refusing to allow the maintenance guy into the platform to change it back :D

_toommm_

Established Member
Probably the legendary Blackpool North staff refusing to allow the maintenance guy into the platform to change it back :D

Surprisingly, I was allowed onto my train 10 minutes before its booked departure, and I only had to go through the automated ticket barriers.

I was expecting to ge

Status
Not open for further replies.