• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

I wish they would decide which stance they are going to take at Blackpool North, last time I was there can't remember if it was early this year or last year I had a lovely time there, the doors were left open and I was able to stay on the platform for as long as I liked and could get whatever photos I wanted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The hostility is clearly a problem, but if it suits their unique circumstances (and I can see why those circumstances might be unique given the number of older/disabled people and drunkards using the station, and unlike most other seaside type stations that have the same issues it's more practical in their layout to manage it) I don't see why they should not operate the station more like an airport with restricted access to the platforms. It's annoying to those wishing to spot and photograph, but it's one station, there are enough others.

LowLevel

Established Member
The hostility is clearly a problem, but if it suits their unique circumstances (and I can see why those circumstances might be unique given the number of older/disabled people and drunkards using the station, and unlike most other seaside type stations that have the same issues it's more practical in their layout to manage it) I don't see why they should not operate the station more like an airport with restricted access to the platforms. It's annoying to those wishing to spot and photograph, but it's one station, there are enough others.

We operate in a similar way at Skegness but it is possible to be friendly while you're at it :)

It's not that unusual to get an enthusiast ask to be allowed to take some photos of the signals etc and I always let them in provided they agree not to bother the signalman (one of them has a large, rather friendly bulldog who is liable to leg it up the platform if someone approaches), but as they say if you don't ask you don't get because we don't want the Skeggy Hordes screeching through to "get mah table seat" before we're in position to help them load their belongings in the right place rather than sling them in the doorways. Personally I try and load at least 10 minutes before departure and now the bog tanks take less time to fill up with the robobog it's usually earlier than that.

Blackpool North on the other hand are renowned for just being unpleasant with it.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Between Christmas and New Year I accidentally left something on a train going from Manchester to Blackpool North. Knowing that lost property numbers can be a hit and miss sometimes, I tried them anyway and generic numbers for Northern in the hope of finding the item. A lovely woman on the Northern line told me that she would try Blackpool North but "their phones never get answered." Remembering this thread I mentioned how BPN had something of a reputation. She didn't agree as such but made a vocal noise indicative of agreement, let's put it that way.

We have many stories about the unfriendliness of the station across 15 pages, and I cannot believe that this would happen at any other mainline station. And I cannot believe that barely anything has improved. Perhaps what has been for decades will remain for decades...!

nlogax

Established Member
It's not really my thing, but out of curiosity I've just watched some Blackpool North clips from a couple of different spotter folks on YouTube. They've indicated in the comments sections that it's possible to legitimately get onto the platforms by way of the customer services desk who'll ask you to sign in and wear a hi-viz. Has anyone here tried that?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's not really my thing, but out of curiosity I've just watched some Blackpool North clips from a couple of different spotter folks on YouTube. They've indicated in the comments sections that it's possible to legitimately get onto the platforms by way of the customer services desk who'll ask you to sign in and wear a hi-viz. Has anyone here tried that?

Following proper procedure rather than just charging around doing what you feel like and then digging down when challenged? That's far too sensible a suggestion for this forum.

nanstallon

I can understand that a place like Blackpool must present typically Great British Public problems, such as drunkenness, fighting and general British boorishness, but why take it out on enthusiasts? Surely, a guy (or gal) taking photos is unlikely to run amok swinging his/ her camera at all and sundry? To be fair, I was once politely told that by arranging in advance I could have facilities to take photos. So, I get the impression that they are a bit 'on edge', but apart from the odd ar*ehole are doing their best to cope; I wouldn't like their job on a summer Saturday!

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I remember my one and only attempt to get on the platforms at BPN in the early 90's as I got there a fellow enthusiast with a camera was in the process of being booted off the platform so I thought well I guess I will give that a miss then. So it seems to have been going on a long time I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Last time I was there I tuck a few quick photos of the train I was catching but they didn't like that much I got asked to board the train immediately.
Interesting to learn that the 'policies' were established under British Rail.

Every day's a school day on this forum.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We have many stories about the unfriendliness of the station across 15 pages, and I cannot believe that this would happen at any other mainline station. And I cannot believe that barely anything has improved. Perhaps what has been for decades will remain for decades...!

Well, at the other end of the "big railway", there is still no solution to the Euston scrum, a problem which has been occurring (and worsening) pretty much ever since the station was built in the 1960s.

Sometimes the railway is just that bit too conservative (though almost never Conservative :) )

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Following proper procedure rather than just charging around doing what you feel like and then digging down when challenged? That's far too sensible a suggestion for this forum.
I believe NODROG does indeed use the proper procedure and wears a hi-vis vest etc and films at that location from time to time.

johntea

Established Member
Crikey, just seen they're finally on with knocking down the eyesore (even by Blackpool standards!) Wilkinsons building on Talbot Road!

Class195

I believe NODROG does indeed use the proper procedure and wears a hi-vis vest etc and films at that location from time to time.

All that just to go on the platform five minutes before departure and board the train promptly?

It would not happen at any other station other than Skegness, where the staff are equally as rude.

LowLevel

Established Member
All that just to go on the platform five minutes before departure and board the train promptly?

It would not happen at any other station other than Skegness, where the staff are equally as rude.

I do the barrier line at Skegness and it's unusual for it not to be open for boarding at least 10 minutes prior to departure. Far from being rude (though they do have a tough gig, working at what is effectively the town's drug capital and being single manned to boot in the evening and on Sundays) the current cohort of Skeg station staff are amongst the most helpful I've ever come across on the railway. It's not often you see the solution to a lack of rail replacement availability at short notice being the platform staff ferrying people about in their cars but that's how they are there.

What it does require with small trains and an infrequent service is some organising of the herd of holidaymakers to allow the train to leave in some sort of a safe fashion or even control numbers on board and thus if that offends you, I'm afraid the answer is "tough".

jon0844

Veteran Member
I do the barrier line at Skegness and it's unusual for it not to be open for boarding at least 10 minutes prior to departure. Far from being rude (though they do have a tough gig, working at what is effectively the town's drug capital and being single manned to boot in the evening and on Sundays) the current cohort of Skeg station staff are amongst the most helpful I've ever come across on the railway. It's not often you see the solution to a lack of rail replacement availability at short notice being the platform staff ferrying people about in their cars but that's how they are there.

What it does require with small trains and an infrequent service is some organising of the herd of holidaymakers to allow the train to leave in some sort of a safe fashion or even control numbers on board and thus if that offends you, I'm afraid the answer is "tough".

This forum really does need the 'like' button implemented for comments like this.

scrapy

Established Member

Whilst totally good intentioned and well meaning, I doubt most car insurance policies would cover providing rail replacement transport so these staff need to be careful.

LowLevel

Established Member
Whilst totally good intentioned and well meaning, I doubt most car insurance policies would cover providing rail replacement transport so these staff need to be careful.

I knew someone would be along to point that out :) I've also given stranded people a lift at their own risk (albeit not in my current paid employment) and I'm sure I'll probably do it again (though not during these times of plague and pestilence!).

Class195

I've clearly never come across you when I've visited Skegness because you sound like an understanding sort of person who would allow me on to the platform to have a look around and take photos of the signal box.

When I visited last year, the reply when I asked was no and I was told to join the queue.

LowLevel

Established Member
I've clearly never come across you when I've visited Skegness because you sound like an understanding sort of person who would allow me on to the platform to have a look around and take photos of the signal box.

When I visited last year, the reply when I asked was no and I was told to join the queue.

Best advice - don't go when there is a queue. The type of person that is liable to be front of the queue at Skegness (often having arrived an hour before their intended train to "get mah table") tends to get very mouthy to the staff if they think people are "jumping in", including if they have the temerity to dare to get people using wheelchairs seated on the train before the scrum starts. Thus if there is a line you'll have to wait in it. I have survived many Skegness Seasons and there is a way of working that gets you through hopefully more or less unscathed. Additional aggro is not invited.

Turn up on a quiet day out of the season and I'm sure if you ask nicely you'll have no problems.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The August 1953 edition of Trains Illustrated contains an article on seasonal traffic in Blackpool. It says extra police were required at weekends to control the crowds. Did this include photographers photographing rare locos arriving on excursion trains ? :)
As an aside,for a several years I tried to obtain a Blackpool Transport tie. After lots of negative responses from tram conductors, bus drivers and a definite NO from staff at Rigby Road I tried customer services. They never even had the courtesy to reply to my emails.

Class195

Best advice - don't go when there is a queue. The type of person that is liable to be front of the queue at Skegness (often having arrived an hour before their intended train to "get mah table") tends to get very mouthy to the staff if they think people are "jumping in", including if they have the temerity to dare to get people using wheelchairs seated on the train before the scrum starts. Thus if there is a line you'll have to wait in it. I have survived many Skegness Seasons and there is a way of working that gets you through hopefully more or less unscathed. Additional aggro is not invited.

Turn up on a quiet day out of the season and I'm sure if you ask nicely you'll have no problems.

Fair and honest advice mate, cheers.

EMR should really make those departures after 18:00 to be designated dry trains.

Some of the sights I've seen on those evening services back to Grantham.

route101

Established Member
I got a off a service last year , i took a pic of train in platform next to . Someone was wondering and asked why i wasnt exiting the platforms. Guess they dont like anyone on the platforms

philthetube

Established Member
I got a off a service last year , i took a pic of train in platform next to . Someone was wondering and asked why i wasnt exiting the platforms. Guess they dont like anyone on the platforms
Perfectly reasonable question, it is the response to the answer which matters.

geoffk

Established Member
The new edition of "Today's Railways UK" has just arrived, after an interval during which the Platform 5 offices had been closed. I turned to the letters page and, what do I see, ANOTHER letter about Blackpool North under the heading "The contrasting attitudes of station staff", the contrast being with Liverpool Lime Street. Once again it's the female station supervisor with a hostile and patronising attitude who is singled out. Who is the appropriate person at Northern to whom a complaint should be addressed? I expect Nick Donovan wouldn't reply. I don't live near Blackpool but would be willing to write, quoting all the letters in magazines and comments on this forum. Perhaps I could include a suggestion that this person be transferred to Chathill, where she won't be troubled by passengers!

Status
Not open for further replies.