• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm starting to wonder if the ongoing staff behaviour at Blackpool North is because they're enjoying reading this thread about it? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
I see. Seems like a missed opportunity. The whole place needs a complete rethink really, it just doesn’t work well.
I don't actually think it would cost that much to reconfigure. The space is pretty big as it is, it's just not used well. Especially with the tram extension, there really ought to be a push to deal with this.

My suggest would be to rip a wide hole in the platform facing wall, stick a glass enclosure over the outside 2 metres, and put the gate line in there like at a normal station.

That would mean railway staff only having to deal with clear line of sight rather than multiple environments.

The whole station box would then be public realm providing much better prospects for retail as well as potentially enabling a new entrance to be built towards a large car park to the north.

Camden

Established Member
The barriers are a relatively recent addition it used to be the full concourse for waiting and queuing before their installation and ticket checking at the platform doors.
I know, but it feels that they've been put where it would be lowest initial cost. The doors remain, when in effect they both do the same job, and the main concourse is no longer public. The current result is a disjointed experience that is not ideal in any sense. The doors should have always been replaced by ticket barriers, rather than augmented by them.

bramling

Veteran Member
I know, but it feels that they've been put where it would be lowest initial cost. The doors remain, when in effect they both do the same job, and the main concourse is no longer public. The current result is a disjointed experience that is not ideal in any sense. The doors should have always been replaced by ticket barriers, rather than augmented by them.

I suspect the rationale for the gate line was more to keep undesirable types out of the holding area, making life slightly easier for the door sentries.

Camden

Established Member
I suspect the rationale for the gate line was more to keep undesirable types out of the holding area, making life slightly easier for the door sentries.
If so, I don't think it works!!

There are far better ways of designing public realm to tackle issues like that.

trainophile

Established Member
I noticed on my recent visit that the several benches outside the station entrance in a semi circle were all occupied, despite it being a fairly cold and windy day. Wondered whether it was people putting off entering the inner sanctum for as long as possible.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If so, I don't think it works!!

There are far better ways of designing public realm to tackle issues like that.

Getting rid of the dingy subway was a start!

The station definitely suffers from only having an entrance at one end - open it up to the north for a bit of "permeability" (in public realm speak) would help the local area and the station.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I enjoyed the (dis)pleasure of travelling through this wonderful paradise last Wednesday.

Upon arrival, there was a 5 strong revenue team at the end of the platform checking tickets, they certainly weren’t exceptional with their manners, but I can’t complain about anything, revenue protection is to be expected and it’s good to see that they’re back out and working again.

Got into the station, and my ticket, for some reason, wouldn’t open the barrier. I told this to the member of staff on the gateline, who told me to speak to his manager, and then his manager told me that I must’ve been using a fake ticket since it wouldn’t open the barrier. She escalated this with one of the revenue officers, who seemed satisfied enough, and the manager (reluctantly) let me through.

On the way back I got through the barrier fine, but then when waiting on the concourse I made the mistake of looking through the door to see what unit number I would be getting on. Got pulled up by a staff member, who told me it was "none of my business" what the unit number of my train was, and then got my ticket checked. Eventually started boarding and got my ticket checked (a third time) by the same revenue team as earlier. Three checks seems excessive in the same station, and being told to mind my own business was quite rude I think. I'll now be making an effort to use Blackpool Pleasure Beach station as much as possible.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Got into the station, and my ticket, for some reason, wouldn’t open the barrier. I told this to the member of staff on the gateline, who told me to speak to his manager, and then his manager told me that I must’ve been using a fake ticket since it wouldn’t open the barrier.
Utterly ridiculous. I've had tickets fail to open the barriers all over the country, and never had any more friction than a check,a polite "could you try again please" and then use of a staff pass to open the gates.

Legitimate tickets can fail to open barriers for all kinds of reasons, from a nonstandard rover that the barriers aren't programmed to accept, to the ticket being left too close to a phone and having a magstripe wiped. Assuming that the ticket is fake is an incredibly out-of-proportion reaction to a very common problem.

On the way back I got through the barrier fine, but then when waiting on the concourse I made the mistake of looking through the door to see what unit number I would be getting on. Got pulled up by a staff member, who told me it was "none of my business" what the unit number of my train was.
If that was the case then they wouldn't plaster the unit number on the front of the train in bold type then, would they.

I'll now be making an effort to use Blackpool Pleasure Beach station as much as possible.
I don't blame you.

If I'd had that experience, and I had any faith that they would do anything beyond dumping my communications in a figurative pile and moving on, I would be writing to Northern immediately.

scrapy

Established Member
Am I the only person that's never had a problem at Blackpool North? I quite like the setup. I can get off the train without other people trying to push past me to board. Yes there could probably be a few more barriers as it can be a pinch point when a busy train arrives bit no major issue. Trains that have been cleaned/litter picked always seem to be done to a better standard (for Northern)than at other locations such as Liverpool where people just push on where you're trying to alight, probably because they have chance when the train is empty.

It's not a station people generally need to spend a lot of time at other than in the event of disruption. People are not connecting to other trains. I tend to arrive 10 minutes before the train. I always have a return ticket so have never needed to use the ticket office but I bet most people using the station are in a similar position. I can pass through the barriers and put my ticket away, I've never been asked again. The concourse is well sheltered, could probably do with more seating, and more comfortable seating but not much different to a basic airport gate area or reverse in reverse out bus station. When your train is ready you go through to board. They are also able to ensure those needing assistance can board first and sit in the appropriate area, before it fills with prams and luggage. Having the doors shut in winter keeps the cold out and they are now left open in warm weather with a tape across.

Yes there have been times where the doors have been opened late but it seems to be when train crew have had issues. The delay may have been greater if they weren't left alone to sort the problem, it's not the end of the world if a train leaves a few minutes late as they are so generously timed between Kirkham and Preston you just end up not sat at a red there. You can leave Blackpool 5 late and make that up by Preston.

I've never had any issues with the staff. I've found them to be efficient. You may not get a smile, im not really bothered about that and when I've seen them offering passenger assistance from what I've seen they've always been polite if not friendly.

Malcmal

On the way back I got through the barrier fine, but then when waiting on the concourse I made the mistake of looking through the door to see what unit number I would be getting on. Got pulled up by a staff member, who told me it was "none of my business" what the unit number of my train was, and then got my ticket checked.

From reading all these horror stories it strikes me that some covert filming and posting to social media of the more extreme examples of rudeness would be in order. I have often thought that a smartphone in the top pocket with the camera facing forward and set to record video would be enough to do the job and unlikely to be noticed by most people.

Who is up for the challenge? Maybe this board should have a "video of the month" section :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Illegal is probably the wrong term, it’s a civil matter - but somebody could take action if you refused to stop when they asked

Nope. You have no right to privacy of any kind when in a public place. It's polite not to photograph someone if they ask you not to, but they have no right not to be photographed.

The only place where you are legally considered to be entitled to a level of privacy is if you are in a private place where someone walking past in a place accessible to the public couldn't see. So things like sticking telephoto lenses over your back fence or flying drones up to your bedroom window.

Malcmal

[/URL]

If anyone intends to film the above is a useful guide. I dare say you'll only see exemplary customer interactions if you tell them you're filming! Covid filming probably breaches these.

"Covid filming" - that's what they call a Freudian slip! But seriously covert filming is no different to someone just not seeing that you are doing it. I am not a lawyer but from what I read as long as you are one half of the conversation then it's legally fine. It's when you start secretly recording a private conversation between two other people that you are in hot water.

Geeves

Established Member
Unfortunately terrible customer service and being a miserable b*stard isn't a powerful enough reason to get the sack on the railway despite customer service being the whole point of the job. It's ridiculously hard to get fired and there are some truly awful ones out there. Being caught on film wouldn't make any difference.

Nope. You have no right to privacy of any kind when in a public place. It's polite not to photograph someone if they ask you not to, but they have no right not to be photographed.

The only place where you are legally considered to be entitled to a level of privacy is if you are in a private place where someone walking past in a place accessible to the public couldn't see. So things like sticking telephoto lenses over your back fence or flying drones up to your bedroom window.
A train station is not considered a public place anymore since Network Rail and TOCs are considered private companies. I must point out that people have the right not to have their voices recorded, their images photographed or recording taken unless it is needed for a legitimate reason.

Can I also point out that my comment was in response to somebody suggesting ‘photograph or video members of staff at work if you don’t like the way they have spoken to you or their manner.’ Paraphrased.

Camden

Established Member
Is it not the case that Network Rail has had its debt brought back onto the state's books? That being the case, it is very much a public entity in all applicable law even if it is registered as a company

Malcmal

I must point out that people have the right not to have their voices recorded, their images photographed or recording taken unless it is needed for a legitimate reason.

That statement is full of holes and inherently wrong.

See the following link for better information. I agree that it gets into a grey area on private land but the above statement is incorrect.

Last edited:

AndyCK

Some info from the British Life Photography Awards website, and as railway stations are private property there are some differences in advice from photographing in a public place:

If the person you're photographing is on private land, they could claim a right to privacy, and if you're on private land, then the owner of the land has the right to restrict photography on their property.

How you choose to use the photos later may well be restricted by whether you have a model release or property release, but this is a different matter.

If you are asked to stop taking photographs on private property then it is advisable to do so. The person asking might not have the legal right to do so but it is likely that the actual landowner will side with them rather than you. Additionally you could be accused of trespass.

Property owners or their employees and security staff have no right whatsoever to confiscate, inspect or damage a photographer's camera or insist that images are deleted.

Railways and tube stations generally allow people to take non-commercial photographs as long as you don't cause an obstruction (more likely to happen if you are using a tripod). However asking station staff first is probably a good idea.

I understand there could also be circumstances where photographing a person in a public place can be considered harassment or stalking, for example if a person is constantly being photographed when they have asked the photographer to stop.

This may warrant a separate thread!

Edit: Apologies to @Malcmal - we must have been posting at the same time!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A train station is not considered a public place anymore since Network Rail and TOCs are considered private companies.

Incorrect. It's a public place for these purposes. The purposes for which it is a private place are if the owner/controller of the premises (the railway, basically) wished to prohibit photography there it would be allowed for them to do so, but their remedy in the case that they did would be to have you leave the premises.

I must point out that people have the right not to have their voices recorded, their images photographed or recording taken unless it is needed for a legitimate reason.

You can point it out all you like but it is incorrect. You have no right of privacy in a public place (a place to which the public have access, regardless of ownership) whatsoever. If you are going to carry on parroting this falsehood, please find the relevant legislation. You won't be able to as it does not exist.

Can I also point out that my comment was in response to somebody suggesting ‘photograph or video members of staff at work if you don’t like the way they have spoken to you or their manner.’ Paraphrased.

It is not illegal to do this. It's fairly ill advised as it's likely to escalate any situation, but it breaks no law.

Revaulx

Ironic the old station site is being turned into a tram interchange.I think the problem at Blackpool North is the station is not big enough at peak times.
I visited the old station just before it closed. It was really nice, not over-large and by no means in a bad state of repair. Not like e.g. Bradford Exchange.

LowLevel

Established Member
[/URL]

If anyone intends to film the above is a useful guide. I dare say you'll only see exemplary customer interactions if you tell them you're filming! Covid filming probably breaches these.

When people decide to whip out their phones as a weapon to try and get me to act in their favour and start filming me they usually get what would probably not be considered to be great customer service. What they actually get is the rules, straight down the line, delivered in a dead pan manner.

I once managed to convert a simple talking to over a blatant Ticket Irregularity (a ticket for which no accompanying railcard was held (or, by their own admission, even owned), for a train in about 8 hours on a different route) in an effort to resolve it into a request for name and address to progress a formal ticket irregularity report when the phone came out. This was ignored and I last saw the individual concerned being marched off the premises by a pair of police officers when I pushed through a formal complaint against them for failing to provide details.

Two can play the arse.

Incorrect. It's a public place for these purposes. The purposes for which it is a private place are if the owner/controller of the premises (the railway, basically) wished to prohibit photography there it would be allowed for them to do so, but their remedy in the case that they did would be to have you leave the premises.

You can point it out all you like but it is incorrect. You have no right of privacy in a public place (a place to which the public have access, regardless of ownership) whatsoever. If you are going to carry on parroting this falsehood, please find the relevant legislation. You won't be able to as it does not exist.

It is not illegal to do this. It's fairly ill advised as it's likely to escalate any situation, but it breaks no law.

My point originally was someone saying they will take photographs or take videos of people at work, who are protected by employment law. I will leave it at that. There is no reason to continue this debate.

Karl

On Moderation
I'm starting to wonder if the ongoing staff behaviour at Blackpool North is because they're enjoying reading this thread about it? :)

They're well aware of this thread.

When I was marched off the platform after photographing my train I mentioned this thread. He knew about it. Terrible.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They're well aware of this thread.

When I was marched off the platform after photographing my train I mentioned this thread. He knew about it. Terrible.

Ugh. Any other station in the country would take that as a sign that behaviors need to change. Blackpool, for some strange reason, doesn't.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I had a bit of chuckle about this recently. I was on a train between Manchester Victoria and Wigan Wallgate. The female guard was really bubbly and friendly to everyone as she passed through the carriage.

She was very courteous towards a passenger who had an issue with his ticket. I overheard him say to her ''we need more people like you at Blackpool North, they're all t**ts up there''.

Clearly, the reputation of this station is getting around a bit. I've never used Blackpool North myself - given the comments on here, I think I'll give it a wide birth.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.