• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There is that. It's where people used to take their kids for an early driving experience before they were old enough! :) (You used, in the 90s, to be able to drive onto the beach, I guess you probably can't now).

Light aircraft used to land on the beach too!

I was imaging the GC guard looking at his watch, noting it was 30s to departure time and anxiously waiting for his passengers to be allowed onto the platform.
OMG this is so true! Maybe it’s why First Transpennine Express (that was) pulled out (speculation only) to add to others comments, I recall having to wait with my disabled Mam in a queue and we couldn’t sit down. When they opened the barrier everyone was running and I felt like I had to rush her. It turned out everyone ran to the furthest door of the train and we got a seat at the nearest door. She occasionally uses a wheelchair now so God knows how ill get assistance there! I am still holding out about my previous comments btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TPE didn't "pull out", the services were changed to being operated by Northern as part of a franchise remap, reversing the change a number of years ago that moved them from what was FNW to TPE.

TPE didn't "pull out", the services were changed to being operated by Northern as part of a franchise remap, reversing the change a number of years ago that moved them from what was FNW to TPE.
I am aware of this which is why I said speculative. The blackpool north to york used to be a blackpool to Scarborough as TPE under arriva trains northern.

Darandio

Established Member
I am aware of this which is why I said speculative. The blackpool north to york used to be a blackpool to Scarborough as TPE under arriva trains northern.

That makes no sense. You were aware that they were changed but speculated otherwise?

Maybe I should have put it into the speculative forum. I am allowed my opinion at the end of the day

Darandio

Established Member
Maybe I should have put it into the speculative forum. I am allowed my opinion at the end of the day

Of course you are allowed an opinion. But in this case there is no speculative idea to post anywhere, what happened is what happened.

Western Sunset

Established Member
I thought that a Northern senior manager, might even have been the CEO, said he was going to investigate the customer experience at Blackpool North. Did anything come of this?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I worked in a library, we didn't let folks take pictures inside without our explicit permission.

And that, as per my reply to @onlinespotting, is the policy of whoever was running the library, which is fine as organisations can have stricter policy than the law if they wish. It just isn't the law.

For instance a good many shopping centres prohibit photography, and can have you leave the premises (and ban you if they want) should you disregard that. You can't, however, be prosecuted, because it's not a legal matter, it's a matter of company policy.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Local authorities (of which our library service was a part) can create byelaws though. This is from the gov.uk website:

Byelaws are local laws made by a local council under an enabling power contained in a public general act or a local act requiring something to be done – or not done – in a specified area. They are accompanied by some sanction or penalty for their non-observance.

If validly made, byelaws have the force of law within the areas to which they apply. Generally byelaws are overseen by the relevant government department or confirming authority who has policy responsibility for the subject matter.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Certainly. I am very much in favour of freedom of opinion. But equally you must accept that in this case what you are saying has been widely confirmed to be untrue, as you in fact admitted yourself above in post number 730.

TransPennine Express stopped serving Blackpool because the DfT made the decision to transfer the service to Northern. I'm not sure what reason you have to think otherwise.

philthetube

Established Member
Do trains departing need the right from station staff, if not I wonder if any have departed empty?

Steddenm

Sorry. I think that Blackpool North has Right Away or Train Ready To Start buttons on the platform that alert both the driver and signaller that it is ready to go. Don't think they can leave without them.

nlogax

Established Member
I do recall a very senior manager at Northern whilst it was still under Arriva say that they would look into it.

With the large amounts of complaints that have gone the way of Northern and Passenger Focus over the years resulting in nowt, is Blackpool North effectively in the 'too difficult / can't be arsed to fix' pile?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
With the large amounts of complaints that have gone the way of Northern and Passenger Focus over the years resulting in nowt, is Blackpool North effectively in the 'too difficult / can't be arsed to fix' pile?
It's the same elsewhere e.g. Euston gateline.

Who is going to make the staff behave? What incentive is there for train companies like Northern to treat customers well?

furnessvale

Established Member
I like Southport, the only problem there is the distance out to the water.
Now that the Ribble training walls for Preston dock have now been allowed to collapse, I believe the water is now returning.

At some time in the (not too distant) future, Southport will have to give its extra land back to the sea.

nlogax

Established Member

Who is going to make the staff behave? What incentive is there for train companies like Northern to treat customers well?

Everything I've read suggests Blackpool North has been this way for an entire generation and has therefore survived multiple iterations of complaints processes going back to BR days. Has the Euston gateline also been that way since the 1980s?

Fair question re. incentive. It begs the question what incentive is there for any TOC to treat customers well? Are organisations such as Transport Focus even worthwhile in situations like these?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Everything I've read suggests Blackpool North has been this way for an entire generation and has therefore survived multiple iterations of complaints processes going back to BR days. Has the Euston gateline also been that way since the 1980s?

No, but that's only because Euston was an open station (other than 8-11) for the 1990s and 2000s, regular gateline checks were a 2010s (or late 2000s) introduction.

The LNR-operated suburban gateline on 8-11 doesn't suffer the same problems and is the only one that had continuity of any sort since BR days.

What this means is that the "attitude problem" came about in Virgin Trains days - not something they like to shout about!

Malcmal

Fair question re. incentive. It begs the question what incentive is there for any TOC to treat customers well? Are organisations such as Transport Focus even worthwhile in situations like these?

In the early 90's I was bashing and took a run in on the Euston - Blackpool North with a 47/8 and mark 2's. I remember distinctly standing on the platform watching them shunt and nobody bothered me. What did stick in my mind was the shunting technique which ended up with the rake hitting the buffers quite hard while backing in and it seemed that the shunter was leaning out the rearmost window and opening the butterfly valve (someone can correct me if this is impossible) or whatever it is to apply the brakes. This was all being done after dark so maybe nobody saw me hanging around but I certainly wasn't trying to hide

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

You also have to remember if they give majority/all of the staff their notice, that gives them 90 days to find, hire and train new staff, which is why they're reluctant to give people the sack. Not to mention the union will most likely get involved, especially if the rep is one of those to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.