• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

packermac

Does anybody know what happened when the two steam tours went there this year? I can imagine from what I read here the staff must have been bedside themselves with rage with all those people wanting to get back on their train before they wanted them to.
Unfortunately I was not available either weekend to steward, so no first hand experience.

How else can they refill water tanks in the middle of the day in-between services?

I guess it depends on the platform layout of the station.
At Lime street they used to refill from track level. But there were sidings then, I suppose they do it from the platforms too now.

randyrippley

Established Member
Best way to solve the problems at Blackpool North is to use the same staffing solution as Blackpool South

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does anybody know what happened when the two steam tours went there this year? I can imagine from what I read here the staff must have been bedside themselves with rage with all those people wanting to get back on their train before they wanted them to.
Unfortunately I was not available either weekend to steward, so no first hand experience.

I was on the Pennine Blackpool Express in April and no problems whatsover. No problems getting through the barrier, and free to wander back to the train st our leisure and take photos.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Could it be that the member of staff that controls the place like a concentration camp is on annual vacation at the moment?

He must have gone to the Inspector Blake School of Inspections :) (That's made my day that has!!)

shredder1

Established Member
I was on the Pennine Blackpool Express in April and no problems whatsover. No problems getting through the barrier, and free to wander back to the train st our leisure and take photos.

Yes I was there for the steam train too, no problems at all, I expect the staff just gave up because there was so many of us, far easier to intimidate an individual

lincolnshire

It used to make me laugh about tanking trains at Blackpool when you consider they are not doing every train there and then just about what was in the all platforms all at once. As said above what about Kings Cross there as soon as the train in is the platform they start tanking the train, lifting the platform edge lids and putting the pipes on as the alighting passengers are walking down the side of the train on the platform edge side and even in some cases the lid is right outside the doorway of the coach. Let alone the cleaning staff with there equipment and the catering supplies staff delivering and collecting supplies with there powered equipment all trying to head against the flow of departing passengers. How would the staff at Blackpool North cope with the stress of a Kings Cross scenario if it happened at there station for every train?

Clip

Established Member
Though, and I'm open to correction here, since they rebuilt Blackpool North the hoses are now mounted in the platform edge so no longer trail across the platforms. See stations like Kings Cross for similar set ups (and where no one shouts at you for wandering around whilst trains are being tanked). I quite agree before hand there was some logic when you would have had hoses trailing all over platforms but that isn't the case anymore.

Not even mounted there either but what used to be the water supply is now capped with bolted down plates so i am guessing they now get tanked in the sidings if they need it.

I travelled out and back from Blackpool North today for the first time in a while - I can't put my finger on it but there was something different.

- All barriers were open, something I've never known before. Having witnessed queues for barriers, platform 1 and taxis all intermingling I hope they've realised they need to do something about it.
- We were allowed to board our York train as soon as it arrived - no waiting for incoming passengers to clear the platform.
- A couple of cheery greetings both at the barrier and on the train.

I've seen passengers boarding on an adjacent platform to an arrival several times, something that would have never been allowed before.

I don't know what's changed, and I fully expect to be disappointed by finding things back to how they used to be - but I can hope.
If only they could do something about the Platform 1 queue situation........

Same with me a couple of weeks ago,I had a Railrover and the chap at the ticket gate let me through with a smile
Last time I was at Blackpool (a few years ago now) I don't remember the ticket barriers,so perhaps that's why things are better?

stuart100100

There is a vacancy being advertised there if anyone fancies a go

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=ff4a3c54a14b794a&from=serp

Responsibilities
Department - Customer Service

Grade - CO2

Salary - £19,201 per annum to £22,372 per annum

Closing Date - 8th November 2019

This is a great opportunity for someone who thrives on providing great service by ensuring our customers have all the information and support they need at all times.

As the face of Northern we expect you to give our customers a warm welcome, discuss their travelling requirements and proactively sell tickets and associated products to meet customer needs. You will also give practical advice on journey times, delays, tickets, fares and reservations, offering alternative options in times of disruption

pieguyrob

I dropped a wheelchair passenger off at Blackpool North yesterday morning. After I got her out of my cab, I then helped her into the station. The member of staff even let me through the barrier with no ticket. So on those grounds I can't complain about the staff.
Also I have never had a problem buying tickets, catching trains or with the staff in general. Blackpool North along with Layton and Poulton are my local stations.

nanstallon

How else can they refill water tanks in the middle of the day in-between services?
I dropped a wheelchair passenger off at Blackpool North yesterday morning. After I got her out of my cab, I then helped her into the station. The member of staff even let me through the barrier with no ticket. So on those grounds I can't complain about the staff.
Also I have never had a problem buying tickets, catching trains or with the staff in general. Blackpool North along with Layton and Poulton are my local stations.
Perhaps the staff have been to charm school. Nice to see things moving in the right direction.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The issue at Blackpool North is with a small number of very obnoxious staff who control access to the platforms; I've had no issues at the gateline there, but having gone through the gateline onto the platform I have then experienced disgraceful behaviour.

In no way is anyone blaming the other staff for the actions of those who are obnoxious. The person who was obnoxious appeared to be creating work for himself by opening and closing doors and fussing over which train people were getting because they had decided that no-one should be on any platform except to walk directly onto a train that they deemed was ready for boarding. Anyone who had a choice of trains (which I did, as I was able to go back via Burnley or via Manchester) was told that they had to make their mind up immediately.

Management also need to take responsibility for failing to do anything about this. But the other staff at the station in other roles did nothing wrong and any criticism is not directed at them.

pieguyrob

I have read similar articles in Today's Railways. I can only comment on my own experiences, but, from what I have read it seems like a minority ruining the experience of the majority.

Class195

Apologies if this has already been discussed on here.

When I was in Blackpool yesterday I asked at Blackpool North Station why they still lock everyone out on the concourse until the very last minutes before departure.

I was told by the station manager who was on site that Blackpool North is a special case and has it's own unique health and safety certificate which is different from all other Northern stations.

This is primarily because of the Hen and Stag parties and high number of disabled people that frequent the station.

I was told of drunk people falling asleep on the platforms, some even falling off the platform and down onto the tracks with one incident of an intoxicated blind man going down on the tracks and breaking his arm.

During the winter they can relax the rules a little but no more than ten minutes until departure will that tape be removed and the glass doors open and even then they'll be a platform spotter to watch what is going on.

I guess what was said to me seems fair and reasonable.

Blackpool despite trying to improve its image appears to still attract the wrong type of crowd.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I understand where the Station manager is coming from. I have never really had a problem at Blackpool north even during the rebuild and electrification. The staff can be a little surly but the point about drunken stag and hen dos is very relevant.

38Cto15E

"high number of disabled people that frequent the station" that's a good idea, give them 10 minutes to make their way up the platform and safely board the train.
In fairness to BPN the gate for the lunchtime London train is usually opened 30 minutes before departure.

Neptune

Established Member
Hen & Stag nights are more of thing of the past now?
From working services in and out of BPN the answer is most definitely that there are still plenty. Most get tanked up on the train to Blackpool. Imagine what they’re like coming back? Not pleasant at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.