• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North: The most unfriendly station in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Trouble with that is most complaints would be in the nature of "gate staff were grumpy", "platform staff kept us waiting to board" - the sort of thing that doesn't really require a response, you just want to get it off your chest. Hardly worth wasting your own time or anyone else's by putting it into a formal complaint.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
My twenty days will be up next week and so far I've heard nothing regarding my complaint.

It's just one big sorry mess at Blackpool.

All the staff should be moved to another station or taken away from public service duty until their manners improve.
I can't help but notice that your 20 days are up. Did you hear back?

spargazer

Trouble with that is most complaints would be in the nature of "gate staff were grumpy", "platform staff kept us waiting to board" - the sort of thing that doesn't really require a response, you just want to get it off your chest. Hardly worth wasting your own time or anyone else's by putting it into a formal complaint.
slag them off on TripAdviser.com

MML

The whole issue of poor customer service is lack of effective leadership.
My guess is the ticket office is led by an effective supervisor who knows what they are doing and has a well trained team focused on good customer service judging by the feedback.

Whereas the platform or gateline staff are led by an ineffective supervisor or know it all bully boy who instills this behaviour as acceptable and commonplace among the staff.

If I was the regional manager, I'd be making a few unannounced visits either in person or using members of my team, to catch the culprits in action. There are probably a couple of rotten apples turning the whole barrel off. Those apples need to be disposed of.

Best way of dealing with any anti social behaviour from customers is to be firm but always polite. Otherwise you descend to their level.

Class195

I can't help but notice that your 20 days are up. Did you hear back?

I did but I wouldn’t say it was a satisfactory response or resolution to the ongoing problems at that particular station.

Does anyone know how long Mick Elliot has been in charge of that station because as station manager he ultimately decides if his staff have done anything wrong or not.

Class195

The whole issue of poor customer service is lack of effective leadership.
My guess is the ticket office is led by an effective supervisor who knows what they are doing and has a well trained team focused on good customer service judging by the feedback.

Whereas the platform or gateline staff are led by an ineffective supervisor or know it all bully boy who instills this behaviour as acceptable and commonplace among the staff.

If I was the regional manager, I'd be making a few unannounced visits either in person or using members of my team, to catch the culprits in action. There are probably a couple of rotten apples turning the whole barrel off. Those apples need to be disposed of.

Best way of dealing with any anti social behaviour from customers is to be firm but always polite. Otherwise you descend to their level.

110% agree with your comments about leadership.

Changing the culture at that station starts at the top and if the top level management are happy for staff to beas they do then there's no hope.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I did but I wouldn’t say it was a satisfactory response or resolution to the ongoing problems at that particular station.

Does anyone know how long Mick Elliot has been in charge of that station because as station manager he ultimately decides if his staff have done anything wrong or not.
There's an article suggesting he's been in charge since at least 2017

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The problems at BPN predate 2017 by at least 30 years to my certain knowledge.

Quite. You'd have hoped that a new supervisor would have turned the ship around but lets not pretend that it's their fault that the actions of many staff at Blackpool North is deeply unfriendly. They inherited the mess.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Does GHand Central still allow you to pay on board? Which means any platform used by their trains has to be open access. Could get interesting.

Darandio

Established Member
Does GHand Central still allow you to pay on board? Which means any platform used by their trains has to be open access. Could get interesting.

Open Access as in barriers open? Because it doesn't have to be like that.

farleigh

Quite. You'd have hoped that a new supervisor would have turned the ship around but lets not pretend that it's their fault that the actions of many staff at Blackpool North is deeply unfriendly. They inherited the mess.
I think it is absolutely their fault.

They have the power to change things and three years is a good amount of time. They are either condoning poor service or failing in their attempts to change it. Neither is good.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it is absolutely their fault.

They have the power to change things and three years is a good amount of time. They are either condoning poor service or failing in their attempts to change it. Neither is good.

My point wasn't to exonerate the supervisor it was to point out that they inherited the situation rather than creating it. They certainly deserve plenty of criticism for failing to address the issue appropriately in the three years they've been in charge.

How does it work now at barriered stations like Bratfud?

The same way as it does at Kings Cross I would assume. You go to the barrier and say "I'm catching the Grand Central and buying a ticket onboard" and then they let you through.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My point wasn't to exonerate the supervisor it was to point out that they inherited the situation rather than creating it. They certainly deserve plenty of criticism for failing to address the issue appropriately in the three years they've been in charge.

The same way as it does at Kings Cross I would assume. You go to the barrier and say "I'm catching the Grand Central and buying a ticket onboard" and then they let you through.

I wonder how many passengers actually do this in reality?

I passed through this station on Thursday. They had 5 revenue officers chatting away at the entrance to the main building from the platform, checking your ticket, as well as two people manning the barriers in the main hall. Not one of them acknowledged my presence when they looked at my ticket. Not one thank you or smile - they didn't even look me in the eye. Very, very rude.

peteb

If staff are being rude just film them and upload to youtube. I dont believe its an offence to take photos or film on a network rail station. You can always stop filming if requested. But that type of evidence will be harder for management to ignore if present ed with it.

If staff are being rude just film them and upload to youtube. I dont believe its an offence to take photos or film on a network rail station. You can always stop filming if requested. But that type of evidence will be harder for management to ignore if present ed with it.
It is illegal to take a photo or video of somebody without their consent, whether or not it is to film on the station

Karl

On Moderation
My oh my!

What a welcome :'(

I stepped off the train and walked to the end of the platform to capture the classic shot with Blackpool tower in the shot. Oh no said the platform staff!

I scurried down down Talbot Road and had a walk to the end of North Pier. Much better. A pint in the Sunset Lounge. Lovely. Seagulls. The smell of fish and chips. Now this is Blackpool. I can't do rock these days, my teeth can't cope. Let's get a tram. Off to Fleetwood. Must remember to get some Fishermans Friends! Candyfloss, too sweet. The tram's are not the same. Never mind. Let's go to the pleasure beach. Oh no! They want me to pay just to walk around? Sod that! I'll just enjoy a walk along the prom. That's better. Let's have some fish and chips. Yes. That's better. Back up Talbot Road to Blackpool North. Fortunately my train is waiting and I get straight through. No problems. Lovely day. I'll be back!

*Edit* I love a day out in Blackpool.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
It is in France, I believe, but not here. Maybe different for video - hence there are always notices advising of CCTV surveillance.

Camden

Established Member
I have to say it's a really bizarrely set up station. Entering the station, the public "concourse" is tiny, with the barriers far too early, behind which is a considerable amount of space. Topping that off the sliding doors preventing or allowing access to the actual platforms.

I can't help but feel that this station is misconfigured, and that this misconfiguration may be the root cause of a lot of the miserable contact. People working in non ideal circumstances, being told to work in a particular way to accommodate the buildings shortcomings. And that in turn creating needless and often petty seeming conflict points. Over time I'm sure that would also feed a general sentiment.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is in France, I believe, but not here. Maybe different for video - hence there are always notices advising of CCTV surveillance.

There are data protection issues with capturing identifiable face photographs or videos for non-personal purposes, to which GDPR applies, hence these notices. GDPR is not applicable to the capture of any personal data for wholly personal reasons, e.g. address books, nor is it to personal photographs, even if identifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.