• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Hey everyone. I think I've mentioned that I've finally decided to go down the WCML to Preston. When in Preston, i was also planning to hop across to Blackpool. I would have plenty of time in which to do this. I have some questions:

• Tickets to BPN and BPS are not the same price from Preston. If I buy the BPN (more expensive) ticket, can I use this on both services or are they completely separate?
  • If they are not interchangable, is there a secret "Blackpool All STNs" ticket floating around somewhere?
  • How easy is it to get from BPN to BPS or vice versa? Do the trams run to both stations perchance?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
You can get a rover or some sort for the area. I'm sure you can get the tram to one stop and walk inland a bit to Blackpool North.

me123

Established Member
Thanks everyone, but as I said I would only be doing both lines if I could use a PRE-BPN ticket on a train to/from BPS. It looks perfectly walkable so I would probably go to BPS and back from BPN if the ticketing was available to save me having a 55 minute wait or something.

EDIT: That looks like a very good ticket, theblackwatch, but again it says "either North or South". I'd ideally like to get both lines done if that's possible. On 2 singles it costs about £12 so I'm hoping to save a bit of cash there...

1D53

Established Member
Thanks everyone, but as I said I would only be doing both lines if I could use a PRE-BPN ticket on a train to/from BPS. It looks perfectly walkable so I would probably go to BPS and back from BPN if the ticketing was available to save me having a 55 minute wait or something.

Why would you have a wait? The line is a one train branch off the main Blackpool line. The unit that comes in normally goes straight back out.

me123

Established Member
I was wondering if I could go PRE-BPS then go to BPN and return to Preston using a Preston-Blackpool ticket. Thus getting both lines covered.

theblackwatch

Established Member
EDIT: That looks like a very good ticket, theblackwatch, but again it says "either North or South". I'd ideally like to get both lines done if that's possible. On 2 singles it costs about £12 so I'm hoping to save a bit of cash there...

I would be surprised if the ticket isn't ok to either, but I could be wrong - your easy way to find out for sure would be to call Northern using the number on the back rather than relying on us 'experts' on here who could go on debating it forever more.

OwlMan

Established Member
Why not buy a c day return to Blackpool North from Preston
- £6-40. Then buy a single Blackpool South to Kirkham & Wes £3-80 - its cheaper than 2 singles.

driver9000

Established Member
From what I remember the BPN & BPS tickets arent interavailable between the two stations, but most guards tend to turn blind eye to it. Blackpool Sth is a little remote from the centre - would take at least 30mins. There isnt a Blackpool Stations' ticket

There is a Fylde Coast Day Ranger ticket valid Between Preston & Blackpool Nth/Sth it costs £9.90 no railcard discounts. It is also valid on Metro Coastline (Blackpool Transport) buses and trams.

http://www.northernrail.org/page/6/14320

found on the Northern website.

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
The fylde day ranger was discontinued this year and replaced by the Blackpool ticket described above. Your link to the Fylde Day Rover is not reachable from the Northern Home Page.

Peter

driver9000

Established Member
The fylde day ranger was discontinued this year and replaced by the Blackpool ticket described above. Your link to the Fylde Day Rover is not reachable from the Northern Home Page.

Peter

I typed 'Fylde Coast' in the search box on the home page, it was first in the list.

A discontinuation of the ticket would explain its absence from the local fares manual.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I think the leaflet is written that way because you can arrive at either station. I cant see a ticket that can include bus & tram restricting you to the station you arrived at. The ticket wont specify which one you arrived at - it will show Blackpool Bus/Tram or something like that. Im not trained on ticketing issues but I know a man who is, I'll see if I can get hold of him...

theblackwatch

Established Member
I typed 'Fylde Coast' in the search box on the home page, it was first in the list.

A discontinuation of the ticket would explain its absence from the local fares manual.

In that case Northern really shouldn't be advertising a product which doesn't exist on its website (even if the page isn't linked from the main page, it is still there)!

I think the leaflet is written that way because you can arrive at either station. I cant see a ticket that can include bus & tram restricting you to the station you arrived at. The ticket wont specify which one you arrived at - it will show Blackpool Bus/Tram or something like that. Im not trained on ticketing issues but I know a man who is, I'll see if I can get hold of him...

Someone had one of these tickets on Tram Sunday and was telling several of us about it. He showed it to us, and although I cant remember the exact wording on it, I'm sure it was something like BLACKPOOL BUSTRAM.

driver9000

Established Member
Totally agree with you theblackwatch

Ive asked my man in the know, he says that Blackpool north & south tickets are NOT interavailable between the two stations. He also said the Bus/Tram one can be used from either station.

RonS

Hi,

If you walk from Blackpool North straight down to the Sea Front, turn left along the sea front and keep walking. After about half mile or so you turn left up a road to Blackpool South passing the football ground to the left. You can catch a tram for most of the journey if you want. You may be disappointed when you reach Blackpool South. One platform and shelter. But an interesting run back to Preston.

me123

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I think I'll do it one at a time to be safe (an excuse for more mileage :lol:) but I will get in touch with Northern. Thanks again.

John @ home

Established Member
I was wondering if I could go PRE-BPS then go to BPN and return to Preston using a Preston-Blackpool ticket. Thus getting both lines covered.

Why not use advance tickets? For example, Tuesday 19 August 2008
0640 Coatbridge Central - Blackpool North 1115 Y-P £8.90
1653 Blackpool South - Coatbridge Central 2047 Y-P £8.90

John

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Plusbus and Tram inclusive tickets are specific to either north or south station. If you got the Preston to Blackpool South return you would be excessed for returning via Blackpool North by having to buy a Blackpool North to Kirkham & Wesham single, or from Blackpool South if you buy Preston to Blackpool North return. Whichever way you go (South/North) you would be paying a total of £10.20 for rail only, £13.20 with plusbus, or £15 with bus and tram.

me123

Established Member
OK, thanks again guys. I was hoping that a situation similar to Livingston North/South would exist (pay the higher fare, use either station). I'll just have to go to one or t'other then...

As for AP ticketing, well the fares are attractive John, but my plan is to do a bit of bashing around Preston (maybe go into Manchester as well if time permits). As a result, I was needing the flexible and very reasonable (IMO) CDR. It also lets me get Pendos, as hardly any SB Pendos call at MTH (connection from CBC).

me123

Established Member
Thanks a lot Ascot; looks a good ticket so I'll see if it's worthwhile purchasing. I might be able to go to Manchester as well so if that is the case, that'd be the ticket to go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.