• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bleakest / loneliest mainline station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
Really? They were free last time I was there. I'll have to use Morrisons then.
I was there last week for a day trip to celebrate the end of stay at home, and yeah, they were charging, but at least you could pay with card. Charging or not was a good thing, because the Morrisons toilets were closed!

trainophile

Established Member
I was there last week for a day trip to celebrate the end of stay at home, and yeah, they were charging, but at least you could pay with card. Charging or not was a good thing, because the Morrisons toilets were closed!

Ooh, give WK a miss for a while then!

Their Wetherspoons was on the list of permanent closures too, not that they are open just yet, but the town will suffer if tourists are discouraged in enough ways.

jamesst

Round to the left of the station entrance? Are they still there? And more to the point, are they free?

Apologies for major thread hi-jack but this topic is of great interest to me! :oops: .

Well the block is still there. Whether they've reopened after the covid restrictions I've no idea!

Djgr

Established Member
No toilets, just a big sign telling you that there aren't any!
Nice cafe. There are toilets in there.

Ooh, give WK a miss for a while then!

Their Wetherspoons was on the list of permanent closures too, not that they are open just yet, but the town will suffer if tourists are discouraged in enough ways.
West Kirby is currently swamped and so I don't think that they are overly concerned.

WYSH

Wakefield Westgate. Grey soulless station, hardly anyone there outside of peak times & overlooking a prison

D6130

Established Member
Wakefield Westgate. Grey soulless station, hardly anyone there outside of peak times & overlooking a prison
.....and Wakefield Kirkgate. Despite its modest refurbishment a few years ago, it's still a barren, windswept hole stuated in a decrepit, overtly-threatening area of the city. It's one saving grace - apart from being a good place to photograph freight trains - is that they play classical music in the subway to deter the local scallies from hanging around and have subdued blue lighting to make it virtually impossible for drug addicts to shoot up. Very sad that such precautions should be necessary.

Novern Uproar

Kirkgate actually won an award a few years back . . . for the UK's bleakest medium sized station. Not helped by no staff presence and the crumbling semi derelict pub opposite the station entrance. The walk by the flats to get to the station is not for the faint hearted after dark. More popular with druggies than passengers. The whole neglected area needs some serious investment.

GW43125

Established Member
Doncaster, particularly on a Sunday night once all the shops close.

AGH

Bidston can be a tad chilly. Not overly a fan of the island platform at Piccadilly in bad weather/ late at night and having been dumped once at Stafford due to a failure brutalist concrete architecture is not for me.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Bidston can be a tad chilly. Not overly a fan of the island platform at Piccadilly in bad weather/ late at night and having been dumped once at Stafford due to a failure brutalist concrete architecture is not for me.

On the other hand, the terminus part of Piccadilly is one of the most pleasant places to wait for a train.

Iskra

Established Member
I don't know, the barking at the prison kennel's is a constant reminder that you are close to human habitation, however unpleasant that may be.

I can't see how it is that bleak and lonely however, it has a frequent service and it's never totally empty there are always some people around and always staff too. Granted, it is a very spread out station for its off peak use, so I can understand where you are coming from and it is a little soulless.

Kirkgate beats it hands down. I can often be the only person on the station there and being a lot more open it does feel bleak and lonely.

On the other hand, the terminus part of Piccadilly is one of the most pleasant places to wait for a train.
Not on a Friday or Saturday night...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't know, the barking at the prison kennel's is a constant reminder that you are close to human habitation, however unpleasant that may be.

I can't see how it is that bleak and lonely however, it has a frequent service and it's never totally empty there are always some people around and always staff too. Granted, it is a very spread out station for its off peak use, so I can understand where you are coming from and it is a little soulless.

Kirkgate beats it hands down. I can often be the only person on the station there and being a lot more open it does feel bleak and lonely.

Indeed, there's generally usually a few people around at Westgate, it's staffed and has some decent facilities.

Iskra

Established Member
Indeed, but where else is? :rolleyes:
Well quantitatively, most stations will have a lot smaller number of drunks (or even none at all) and who are probably more inconspicuous by not being in groups and bouncing off each other both metaphorically and literally, so most places really...

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Won't be like that again for a time yet. Not all pubs are open until May and many won't be going out late until the weather properly warms up. But pre-COVID it was interesting at times, though never "intimidating" due to staff and BTP presence.

bramling

Veteran Member
Euston on a Friday or Saturday evening is nothing like as debauched. More civlised down South? :D

It depends. Stevenage was I think the first station in the country to get “bouncers” on selected nights of the week, but since those days it seems to have mellowed a little bit.

Something like Liverpool to Wigan would no doubt be an experience though!

vlad

I would imagine Barlaston is quite a lonely place to wait for a train at the moment. :)

I wouldn't say it was bleak - it's in the middle of a fairly sizeable village and has frequent trains going past annoying all the vehicles using the level crossing.

I appreciate that none of the trains actually stop - but then the platforms have been fenced off so it's not as if you're missing anything!

Kingston Dan

Rugeley Trent Valley, very small shelter when it raining heavily and nothing around the station.
Don't know if it's ben mentioned but Lichfield Trent Valley is pretty bleak. Was there last week (albeit during lockdown) but there's not waiting room (on the up side at least - the down side was closed), no pub nearby (not that they were open) - and just a couple of taxi drivers touting for non-existent trade.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Don't know if it's ben mentioned but Lichfield Trent Valley is pretty bleak. Was there last week (albeit during lockdown) but there's not waiting room (on the up side at least - the down side was closed), no pub nearby (not that they were open) - and just a couple of taxi drivers touting for non-existent trade.

Rugeley TV is too. I had to wait there for half an hour in July and it was bleak and cold (even in July!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Indeed, there's generally usually a few people around at Westgate, it's staffed and has some decent facilities.
The worst thing about the "new" Westgate is that the entrance is far less conveniently located for the city centre and buses. Yes, the new building is much nicer, more spacious, and has decent facilities... but the old one, cramped as it was, was much more useful for connecting buses to towns unserved by railways such as Ossett and Holmfirth. Now, if you've got heavy luggage or mobility issues you have to use the City Shuttle bus all the way to the bus station and double back down Westgate (the road).

A better option would have been a temporary building where the new one is, whilst a replacement on the site of the old was built. The Down end of the station where the new building is seems far more exposed and windswept too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The worst thing about the "new" Westgate is that the entrance is far less conveniently located for the city centre and buses. Yes, the new building is much nicer, more spacious, and has decent facilities... but the old one, cramped as it was, was much more useful for connecting buses to towns unserved by railways such as Ossett and Holmfirth. Now, if you've got heavy luggage or mobility issues you have to use the City Shuttle bus all the way to the bus station and double back down Westgate (the road).

A better option would have been a temporary building where the new one is, whilst a replacement on the site of the old was built. The Down end of the station where the new building is seems far more exposed and windswept too.

I must admit, Westgate's always been the wrong end of town for me, however I take the point about it now being off of the main bus route !

Status
Not open for further replies.