• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bletchley to Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this line. Milton Keynes council are considering a station at Water Eaton, to go along with a new housing development. At the other end of the line, Oxford City council are planning to build a station at Water Eaton park and ride. Is there anywhere else where a line runs through two different areas with the same name?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vicpaul

Would be nice to have a through line.

Geographically it's not far but a pig to get to. (Either up to Coventry and down or into london and up from paddingto)

jimm

Established Member
I was thinking about this line. Milton Keynes council are considering a station at Water Eaton, to go along with a new housing development. At the other end of the line, Oxford City council are planning to build a station at Water Eaton park and ride. Is there anywhere else where a line runs through two different areas with the same name?

Nothing to do with Oxford City Council. Water Eaton Parkway is part of Chiltern Railways' Evergreen3 London-Oxford project. Water Eaton isn't in the city of Oxford, it's in the Cherwell council district.

RPM

Established Member
I'm not sure Water Eaton Parkway is the best name for the new Chiltern station. It would be like calling Warwick Parkway "Budbrooke Parkway" or calling Bristol Parkway "Stoke Gifford Parkway". Surely Oxford Parkway or perhaps Kidlington Parkway would be better?

Eagle

Established Member
The difference being that one is a firm plan with construction due to start within the next year or so, and one is just a vague aspiration by a local authority which has as far as I am aware not been suggested to Network Rail or any other body for more detailed plans.

Anyway looking at the site of MKBC's proposed station, wouldn't it be better to be called Far Bletchley or Bletchley West? The current settlement of Water Eaton is the other side of the WCML.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure Water Eaton Parkway is the best name for the new Chiltern station. It would be like calling Warwick Parkway "Budbrooke Parkway" or calling Bristol Parkway "Stoke Gifford Parkway". Surely Oxford Parkway or perhaps Kidlington Parkway would be better?

The reason is presumably because the existing P&R site there is called Water Eaton. Then again that's not immune to change. Bishopton P&R became Stratford-upon-Avon Parkway when its rail station opened. Kidlington Parkway would definitely be better IMO.

As an aside, what will happen to Peartree P&R? Will it stay open? It's less than a mile from Water Eaton, but it's much better sited for drivers, being right next to a major road junction.

Veteran Member
As an aside, what will happen to Peartree P&R? Will it stay open? It's less than a mile from Water Eaton, but it's much better sited for drivers, being right next to a major road junction.

Why would it close? Chiltern are aiming at N Oxford/Cameronshire-London rather than traffic into Oxford City, surely? I can't see many people using Water Eaton-Oxford (Botley Road) for their commute, unless the P&R buses are getting really dire.

route:oxford

Established Member

Both are essential...

Water Eaton is popular with NHS & Brookes students/staff.

jimm

Established Member
The reason is presumably because the existing P&R site there is called Water Eaton. Then again that's not immune to change. Bishopton P&R became Stratford-upon-Avon Parkway when its rail station opened. Kidlington Parkway would definitely be better IMO.

Well we'll have to see if they try to change the name, but Water Eaton is already established - and there would be ructions locally if it was suggested it be called Kidlington - as it's in Gosford & Water Eaton parish, not Kidlington.

Bishopton is still officially described by Warwickshire county council as Stratford park and ride (Bishopton), nothing to do with Parkway.

Nothing will happen to the Pear Tree site at Oxford. it's owned by the city council, not the county, which owns Water Eaton, and is very heavily used.

Buttsy

Established Member
Why would it close? Chiltern are aiming at N Oxford/Cameronshire-London rather than traffic into Oxford City, surely? I can't see many people using Water Eaton-Oxford (Botley Road) for their commute, unless the P&R buses are getting really dire.

Water Eaton P&R uses the Banbury Road, Pear Tree P&R the Woodstock Road, it is Seacourt P&R that uses Botley Road, unless you're referring to the route to Oxford station from Water Eaton.

L&Y Robert

I drove through Islip this afternoon, and just dropped in to the station there to see if anything happening along the line. Surprised to see a compound just beyond the car-park with portacabins (some of them two storey), several cars, a pickup truck. Somebody's intending to do something, then.

Veteran Member
Water Eaton P&R uses the Banbury Road, Pear Tree P&R the Woodstock Road, it is Seacourt P&R that uses Botley Road, unless you're referring to the route to Oxford station from Water Eaton.

Yes, I was referring to the poor location of Oxford station (nearly called it Rewley Road!) - in contrast to the P+R bus stops on Cornmarket (I assume they still are?)

Buttsy

Established Member
Yes, I was referring to the poor location of Oxford station (nearly called it Rewley Road!) - in contrast to the P+R bus stops on Cornmarket (I assume they still are?)

No buses go down Cornmarket now, it pedestrianized and to a greater extent Queen Street is too. Only buses are allowed down High Street during the day these days too. Buses now go down George Street, up New Road, round the back of the Westgate and up St Aldates in the main.

Status
Not open for further replies.